Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Buxe
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Buxe »

I was incredibly lucky to meet and chat briefly to Declan yesterday. My son’s team was playing a match against a team one of his nephews plays for and he was there watching.

An absolutely fantastic ambassador for our club, he posed for a photo with my son (you can imagine how much this meant to a west ham mad 8 year old) and then with all the kids. Nothing was too much trouble.

He clearly loves the club and was very happy to chat with a fan. Hopefully he or someone connected to him reads this and can pass our thanks on, as he really made everyone’s day. :crest:
badabing
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by badabing »

Buxe wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:21 am I was incredibly lucky to meet and chat briefly to Declan yesterday. My son’s team was playing a match against a team one of his nephews plays for and he was there watching.

An absolutely fantastic ambassador for our club, he posed for a photo with my son (you can imagine how much this meant to a west ham mad 8 year old) and then with all the kids. Nothing was too much trouble.

He clearly loves the club and was very happy to chat with a fan. Hopefully he or someone connected to him reads this and can pass our thanks on, as he really made everyone’s day. :crest:
Nice to hear mate, Nobes has influenced Dec big time and we should be grateful for that, but it seems that Dec has always had a good head on his shoulders.
I have zero time for any celebrities who cannot give a little back to their public.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Interesting watching them on holiday. Dec quiet cycling with his Chelsea mates. Grealish on the lash and Forden having a domestic.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:48 pm Interesting watching them on holiday. Dec quiet cycling with his Chelsea mates. Grealish on the lash and Forden having a domestic.
Jarrod somewhere playing in the hay with Dani.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:07 pm Jarrod somewhere playing in the hay with Dani.
No time for that, lad. Them fields yonder needs ploughing.
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 152 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

Vic_Watson wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:46 pm No time for that, lad. Them fields yonder needs ploughing.
If our chant for him is anything to go by then in sure he'll be doing some ploughing
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

Just stumbled upon this video this morning, love how he spoke about Dennis and what a great man he was

box2box

Sorry, don't know how to embed videos :nonpl:
ManInTheIronsMask.
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ManInTheIronsMask. »

Don't worry, I don't know what it means.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Didn't want to follow up on this in the transfer thread, lest -DL- find me and give me a telling...
bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:13 am It's fairly obvious, imo, that the thing that changes Rice from a £50m-£60m player to a genuine £100m player is goals and assists. If Moyes creates that player via a slight change of role, it's ultimately better for West Ham, and what's right for West Ham is the yardstick he should be using.
I've said it before on here, but personally for me I don't think a player like Dec who is so good at the defensive role needs goals and assists - Viera would have probably been talked about in the £75m-£100m bracket nowadays with ease (£18m transfer to Juventus in 06, I think?), or to use a closer to home example Carrick when he went to Man United (£25m at the time) would probably tip the lower end of that kind of bracket right now. They popped up with an occasional goal or assist but actually far more important to their game was how they defended, stopped others from playing, and played off the ball to the next man. This is what Rice does pretty much flawlessly.

I think he might think he has box-to-box qualities in his game, and honestly I don't doubt that he could do it. But I also don't think he somehow needs to 'prove' that he can do it to make that value level.

Carrick made (based on Transfermarkt) 700 career appearances, scored 34 and assisted 44.

By the way, 'fun' fact I noticed when I went looking for old transfer fees to drop in here - Veron's transfer to Man United in 01/02 is still the 9th highest for a central midfielder in history. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/transfe ... eihe=&w_s=
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

You don't necessarily need loads of goals qnd assists to be considered a top box to box/ all round midfielder

It is qs much qbout your presence over the park, energy, and ability to influence the game everywhere which is important.

Rice has that in spades. He breaks up play and then carries it forward the length of the pitch and is often thr instigator for our best attacks even if he doesn't play the final ball or have a shot

He is much more than a DM

Apologies- off topic
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:48 am

Apologies- off topic
A post about Rice is off topic in the Rice thread?

Now I'm really ****ing confused. Granted, it doesn't take a lot for that to happen, but on this occasion, I think it's justified.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

SiamHammer wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:01 am Just stumbled upon this video this morning, love how he spoke about Dennis and what a great man he was
England hero, first shirt, favourite boots, music and Dennis in the same thoughts.

I admire him as much for who he is as for his footballing abilities.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

-DL- wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:53 am A post about Rice is off topic in the Rice thread?

Now I'm really ****ing confused. Granted, it doesn't take a lot for that to happen, but on this occasion, I think it's justified.
I thought i had posted in the summer transfer thread
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Doc H Ball wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:18 pm I admire him as much for who he is as for his footballing abilities.
:thup: He appears to be as sound a personality as the footballer he is developing into.

I don't get the flack he seems to cop from a few. Whilst some may over-eulogise about him, he has never as far as I know blown smoke up his own arse (that would be a party piece...) :D
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

He has said he is aiming for double figures on goals this season and thinks thats what he should be getting. He is going to improve every season imo. World class.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

The West Ham Academy coach (Carlton Cole) told SunSport: "Declan is obviously really important. Obviously, there’s speculation about his future here, there and everywhere.

"But right now I just don’t feel it’s the right time for him to be moving on.

"I think he’s at a club where they have expectations to push on and I think as long as he understands the project and he knows his place within the team.

"We can’t lose too many [players]. We’ve just lost Mark Noble and I think we’ve got a few others that we’ve lost now so we have to bolster and we can’t be letting our best players go at the moment."

Cole though admitted that the club would find it hard to turn down a mega-money offer for their prized asset.

Cole continued: "If it does happen and someone comes in with an offer that we can’t refuse [for Rice] then it’s just the way it is.

"We’ll reshuffle the pack and nobody in that West Ham squad isn’t irreplaceable. You’ll always get a few diamonds in the rough and we have found a load of them.

"David Moyes and his scouting network is working tirelessly around the clock right now as we speak to get the best players in for any kind of role that comes up.

"But I can only see Declan Rice’s future with us, at least for the current season."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19109709 ... -cole/amp/
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

He's not saying anything out of the ordinary but between this and his comments on Danjuma, I don't think it's a good look or particularly professional that Carlton is talking openly about these sorts of things whilst employed as an Academy coach.

He means well by it all, but it's not his place.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Our biggest asset, star, and club captain still not in any of the new kit features, despite other players such as Bowen that have also been on international duty, being so.

If I have missed Rice being in them, then I stand to be corrected.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

-DL- wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:52 am Our biggest asset, star, and club captain still not in any of the new kit features, despite other players such as Bowen that have also been on international duty, being so.

If I have missed Rice being in them, then I stand to be corrected.
He’s in the United States I think.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Helping Lingard find a new club?