The Queen

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Wilko1304, -DL-, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 407 likes
Total likes: 602 likes

Re: The Queen

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Never mind. For one joyous moment I thought hoped it might be His Royal Nonceness. Now that would be fun.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:20 pm Never mind. For one joyous moment I thought hoped it might be His Royal Nonceness. Now that would be fun.
No mate.

He's well down the pecking order.
smuts
Has liked: 615 likes
Total likes: 520 likes

Post by smuts »

wolf359 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:27 pm Can’t find the pictures (was on thread on Reddit) but Charlie’s fingers don’t look good, swollen and clearly holding fluid. He’ll get the best treatment known to man and We’ve not idea of that is causing it. Liver and heart damage are two of top causes though.
They never got the tech right to conceal his alien Lizard hands properly...
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 603 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

We're all in it together. Apart from our betters.

Johnny Byrne's Boots

When the prime justification for a monarchy is 'live bait for tourists' you know it won't be long.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 651 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I would have thought the Jubilee celebrations proved that its more than a tourist attraction.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 668 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

RichieRiv wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:47 pm I would have thought the Jubilee celebrations proved that its more than a tourist attraction.
Yes, it's a day off work every so often as well
OFT
Has liked: 1040 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by OFT »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:20 pm When the prime justification for a monarchy is 'live bait for tourists' you know it won't be long.
Until?
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Until more people question whether, in the twenty first century, a hereditary head of state and its associated feudal system is the best way forward.
OFT

Post by OFT »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:11 pm Until more people question whether, in the twenty first century, a hereditary head of state and its associated feudal system is the best way forward.
I thought you may be suggesting 'revolution' :grin:

It's not that I'm mega keen on the current system, although I do like to see all the pageantry etc. but very concerned as to what may replace it. If we're going to have an elected HoS I assume 'they' will want an element of power(rather stifling in the USA and presumably about to become so in France). If we are going to go through the misery of more elections just to elect someone to 'shake hands and have tea' with , for example, 'World Leaders' we may as well have someone with some gravitas, someone who commands respect. I do appreciate that Her Maj has been a one orrf and there are too many hangers on, but those 'hangers on are a price I'd be prepared to pay to avoid elected Presidents Johnson, Blair, Khan or Rees Mogg.

tis one of my bugbears :winker:
I suppose it's a classic, 'be careful what you wish for' situation.

I'm making no assumptions about your perspective on the matter by the way JBB
:newthumb:
Johnny Byrne's Boots

I have no animosity towards the royal family, I wish them no ill, but I feel the time of monarchies has passed. This does not automatically mean an elected president to host banquets and shake hands on behalf of the nation, for I have a cunning plan.

Replace the House of Lords with a Second Chamber. It can introduce and amend legislation, but ultimately the still FPTP Commons has primacy. This Second Chamber is made up of:-
Fifty percent elected by PR, to serve for ten years
Thirty percent appointed by an independent commission (we'll still need expertise and experience), to serve for six years
Twenty percent chosen at random from the electoral register, to serve for four years
The Second Chamber will elect from among their number an Honorary Speaker. This Honorary Speaker will be the purely ceremonial Head of State.

Under this system (all numbers are up for discussion) we have PR, the voice of ordinary people actually being heard, and the possibility of you, me or a single mother from a high rise being our Head of State, and who's to say they won't make a good job of it?
OFT

Post by OFT »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:48 pm I have no animosity towards the royal family, I wish them no ill, but I feel the time of monarchies has passed. This does not automatically mean an elected president to host banquets and shake hands on behalf of the nation, for I have a cunning plan.

Replace the House of Lords with a Second Chamber. It can introduce and amend legislation, but ultimately the still FPTP Commons has primacy. This Second Chamber is made up of:-
Fifty percent elected by PR, to serve for ten years
Thirty percent appointed by an independent commission (we'll still need expertise and experience), to serve for six years
Twenty percent chosen at random from the electoral register, to serve for four years
The Second Chamber will elect from among their number an Honorary Speaker. This Honorary Speaker will be the purely ceremonial Head of State.

Under this system (all numbers are up for discussion) we have PR, the voice of ordinary people actually being heard, and the possibility of you, me or a single mother from a high rise being our Head of State, and who's to say they won't make a good job of it?
I'm fairly sure I could make a balls of it :grin:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 434 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:33 am Yes, it's a day off work every so often as well
Not so bloody great for us agency workers seeing no pay.

Less bank holidays if you please. :newthumb:
EastHam56
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by EastHam56 »

JBB it goes along with my thinking .
I would make it 9 to 5 monday to friday , so no second job using this as a bit of extra cash .
Also any expenses to be regulated
Shabu
Has liked: 1060 likes
Total likes: 413 likes

Post by Shabu »

Not a fan of the Royals myself, although not really against them per se but the interest in them in America is HUGE.

Whether that brings in $$$ I don't know but they're a huge talking point.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 651 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Rest assured the monarchy will outlast you, your children, your grandchildren and in fact your great grandchildren.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Shabu wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:12 pm Not a fan of the Royals myself, although not really against them per se but the interest in them in America is HUGE.

Whether that brings in $$$ I don't know but they're a huge talking point.
I think it works out about a quid per person per year being put in to their coffers, including everyone, so around 70-75 million quid annually. However, the return is about 6-7x, overall a net earner.

I would have thought a load of independent shops do well with the tourism etc.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 506 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Shabu wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:12 pm Not a fan of the Royals myself, although not really against them per se
What?! :?