The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Wilko1304, -DL-, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress

paulhs1
Has liked: 880 likes
Total likes: 584 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by paulhs1 »

Are there many clubs of a similar level to us still after a left back? Not many I think!
Last edited by paulhs1 on Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 146 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:31 pm Obviously there's Antonio.

Then failing that we play Bowen, arguably out of position.

Dipping into the u23s, we have Doncaster superstar, Mipo Odubeko, his Irish team mate Armstrong Oko-Flex, Released by Reading Thierry Nevers and from what I've read our highest rated young forward, Divin Mubama.

So yeah, pretty sparce :lol:
What’s dya mean arguably out of position. Bowen up front is out of position, no argument about it.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 223 likes
Total likes: 1153 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Lovejoy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:15 pm What’s dya mean arguably out of position. Bowen up front is out of position, no argument about it.
Well he played up front for Hull at times, and has done so in a two with Lingard for us.

Is Antonio up front out of position? Is Fornals on the left out of position? Cresswell as part of a back three? Rice in midfield?

Positions have become so fluid, not many players are nailed down to a position.
jastons
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by jastons »

My issue with Bowen playing as the striker is we don't have anyone to replace Bowen on the right
WestcliffHammer
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by WestcliffHammer »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

e20too wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:57 pm Great the guy who either can’t or won’t use his head and who is desperately needed in his present role that suits him and the team perfectly. Sounds promising for a team striving to be considered a top 6 contender.
Oi I’m not the one picking him :grin:
e20too
Has liked: 219 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by e20too »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:39 pm I think Moyes is looking for here and now.

I'd love for us to be in a position to take a punt on Hickey or KLP, but we need players to go straight into the starting XI.

The only positions we can really take one of those punts is Central Midfield and Right Wing. Everywhere else can and should be upgraded over the next few windows, like we've done with Aguerd.
I suspect you are right, though for a club in our position we really do need to find the odd jewel that we can turn into a top player over a couple seasons, (can’t afford to just think short term all the time) but no way we are going to seriously threaten top six again if that doesn’t happen, unless we have near 100m spends each year OR if it’s a significantly lower spend ( which it will be) nearly every player we buy makes a serious contribution. No evidence either will happen logically or historically sadly, our record, unlike many others, of picking those promising young players with upside is equally dire. One can argue as much as one likes about how good or otherwise it’s been, but whoever is choosing, dictating and acquiring players doesn’t have a record that’s good enough as yet to sustain what we have achieved (unexpectedly let’s be honest) this past few years in my view. Newman might change that, but clearly too early to judge.
WestcliffHammer
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by WestcliffHammer »

Macca1973 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:24 pm It’s getting heated :lol:
Because you clearly have to lap up everything the board have to offer and if you have a different view you get jumped on
bubbles1966
Has liked: 544 likes
Total likes: 1105 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

paulhs1 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:38 pm
Nice touch there by Everton - they've designed their badge like his head with a special pair of ears on it.
Bubbles Fortuna

The only way for a club without the mega money to sustain European finishes is a combination things:

Bringing through prospects from the Championship: Bowen, Benrahma

Bringing in top players from lesser leagues: Coufal, Soucek, Aguerd

Bringing in rejects from European clubs: Zouma, Areola

Getting lucky with the Youth Academy: Rice, Johnson

Raising Relegated clubs: Dawson

We don't have the money to buy the likes of Richarlison or Watkins unless those clubs get relegated, we need to find them before they end up at Aston Villa or Everton.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 726 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Ding wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:43 pm He'd have a disparaging chuckle, before bum dialling Lingard (again). :grin:
:lol:
Bubbles Fortuna

WestcliffHammer wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:26 pm Because you clearly have to lap up everything the board have to offer and if you have a different view you get jumped on
So the people slagging the manager off for turning down Danjuma, are they lapping up what the board have to offer?

What about the ones not losing their mind over Hickey?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 1391 likes
Total likes: 657 likes

Post by MB »

paulhs1 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:12 pm Are there many clubs of a similar level to us still after a left back? Not many I think!
Arsenal and Man City are still looking. Saw something yesterday that Man City need to sell before making a move for the lad at Brighton.
ironilunga
Has liked: 151 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:27 pm Can everyone just calm down a bit, on both sides.

Why?
Last edited by ironilunga on Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 1012 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

MB wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:00 pm There is, but it starts with certain posters not posting the same generic moans six times a day. No one digs them out until they post so right or wrong they are the catalyst. But hey they all seemed to have liked your post so you got what you wanted :winker:

KLP and Hickey don't start for us. When we lose out on players who do then getting annoyed is justified (in August).
Actually those who liked my post don't strike me as the posters I was talking about. More likely they are those who also think it's a bit tight to constantly brush aside those who have concerns as moaning for the sake of it.

Maybe some posters were of the opinion that KLP and/or Hickey would possibly start for us. And so they are disappointed that we haven't signed them and concerned about what we intend to do (or not do) in those positions.

And that's my point. In January, people were told to stop moaning and knicker wetting (that old chestnut). We didn't sign anyone. Those moaners were justified on that occasion.

Me personally, I imagine we'll sign some more players. But that's not my point here.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by Rio »

WestcliffHammer wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:26 pm Because you clearly have to lap up everything the board have to offer and if you have a different view you get jumped on
No. Because we’re just asking people not to overreact at the slightest thing and act with a bit of decorum. Had we been in the market for over heightened nonsense the moderating team could have retired years ago on the proceeds of KUMB marketed paper bags.

We just ask people to see the bigger picture instead of jumping over every minute detail. This isn’t football manager. Deals are complex and difficult to navigate. Getting the right player in, in terms of ability and temperament isn’t easy, and not when the competition to sign such a player has multiple variables to overcome.

I much preferred it back in the early 80’s when you knew sod all until the Daily Express had a picture with John Lyall & Tommy McQueen
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

This is such a weird take. Very few people on here seem to praise the board. Drop the victim mentality, mate.
paulhs1
Has liked: 880 likes
Total likes: 584 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

MB wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:29 pm Arsenal and Man City are still looking. Saw something yesterday that Man City need to sell before making a move for the lad at Brighton.
City will get Cucerrella I think. Leaves us and the gooners fighting for any remaining left backs as all other clubs have shot their load, so to speak
alf git
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by alf git »

Wait a minute.
We've missed out on Tarkowski!
Moyes out etc.
D C
Has liked: 297 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by D C »

jastons wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:18 pm My issue with Bowen playing as the striker is we don't have anyone to replace Bowen on the right
Fornals on the right and Benny on the left as things stand imo. Hopefully we won’t have this problem come the end of the window