The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Hamburger
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 444 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Hamburger »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:20 am The Haaland deal went via a buy-out-clause you smart cookie...

Dortmund had to pay Raiola a huge fee plus Haaland was on huge wages, too.
Good 20yo player fees - Aaronson 13m, Botman 8m, Nunez 15m, Tchouameni 18m. Or are we saying he is better than Adeyemi at 30m and Nuno Mendes at 35m bought by top European clubs who I don't see coming in for Broja at those prices.
Last edited by Hamburger on Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bristoliron338
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Bristoliron338 »

HammerPDC wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:14 am And you’ve then raised the top end of your wage structure by around 40k a week for Lingard, it opens a big can of worms, which is why paying a heftier sign on fee to reduce the wage cost makes sense all round
Well then we shoulf offer him 100k a week and like 6-7m signing fee. Job done! If he says know then go all out for 2 strikers
Kermit
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by Kermit »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:34 am As long as we get a decent fee out of him that's fine.

Those two are decent league one footballers and we did not get compensated as we should have.

Tottenham would have got a few million for both.
Don't think so mate. Clubs don't shell out that sort of money on players with very little, or no, PL experience. The only way we'll ever get money for players of limited ability is if we insist on a sell on clause. Then if they do happen to develop into superstars within the next year or so we would take a percentage.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 1159 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

El brooko79 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:24 am But surely the next player that signs for a contract extension instead of asking to match Lingards weekly salary just wants a nice signing on bonus too?

Plus surely signing on fees are upfront, so if you sell a player you have actually just given them a salary advance and paying more for less time.

No problem offering Lingard same as top earners . Decent signing on bonus. But the idea of giving him £8-10m signing on bonus to mitigate £50k a week for 4 years, not for me.

Choose to stay up north and play for Everton.
Choose huge salary somewhere.
Choose to play for us. Christ he won't be doing too bad.

Guy needs to realise he can't have his cake and has to make a choice as to what's important.
No problem which it is. But I hope we are moving on.
This is the dilemma isn’t it EB, I think Lingard’s situation with him being a free agent makes it a little more unique than negotiating a contract extension

I’m an avid watcher of the NFL and you see players ride out contracts all the time knowing they will get more money on an open market and I’m amazed football players here don’t do it more often

If negotiations get out of hand then, I’d agree with you and like to think we’d move on
Kermit
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by Kermit »

Hamburger wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:32 am Chelsea rate Broja at £40m at 20 yet they want to sell him? Doesn't that set off alarm bells?
Not for me it doesn't. Whether we like it or not Chelsea are at a different level to West Ham and so they want the finished article, not potential. Hence their bid for Raheem Sterling and interest in Raphinha. If they are succesful in their pursuit of a new striker or even a pair of strikers Broja would be pushed down the pecking order. It therefore makes sense for both parties to go their separate ways.
Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:39 am I don’t think it’s as black and white as either signing Broja now, or signing Broja on deadline day. We have weeks of circumstances changing both at this club and at Chelsea with their incomings/outgoings.

Once we know Chelsea have brought in players, Broja might push to leave. If Chelsea sign nobody, we know we can pursue another target more aggressively.
This is a good point. The closer we get to deadline day the chances are we might get Broja at a more realistic price as Chelsea start to panic? Also if we get another striker before too, our need becomes less great and would also help get the price down.
norse
Has liked: 380 likes
Total likes: 838 likes

Post by norse »

Chelsea can afford to keep Broja, why then would they even consider not over pricing him when there are interested parties. Had they been desperate to sell the story would be different. The worth is set by whatever the buyer is willing to pay, football or not.
Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

norse wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:03 pm Chelsea can afford to keep Broja, why then would they even consider not over pricing him when there are interested parties. Had they been desperate to sell the story would be different. The worth is set by whatever the buyer is willing to pay, football or not.
Exactly, he's not worth a 30m+ risk. There is a chance he'd be worth more in years to come but an even greater chance, given our record, that he will be worth less. What percentage of strikers in the PL are worth more than 30m?
jastons
Has liked: 893 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by jastons »

the pink palermo wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:05 am I think more than anything this window is illustrating how hard it is to improve a squad good enough to finish 6th and 7th in the PL and chuck in a Europa cup semi final along the way, within the confines of our budget.
A few players should be easy to improve on, or at least the contributions they made anyway. Kral, Vlasic and Yarmelenko* for example.

*Yarmelenko deserves credit for scoring against Villa and Sevilla and even playing at all given the ongoing War.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Kermit wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:49 am Don't think so mate. Clubs don't shell out that sort of money on players with very little, or no, PL experience. The only way we'll ever get money for players of limited ability is if we insist on a sell on clause. Then if they do happen to develop into superstars within the next year or so we would take a percentage.
Tottenham sold Tom Carroll for £5 million, he's just been released by Ipswich.

We managed to get a good fee for Diangana, but usually our youth players go for nothing.
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3209 likes
Total likes: 2590 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:39 am
Once we know Chelsea have brought in players, Broja might push to leave. If Chelsea sign nobody, we know we can pursue another target more aggressively.
I completely take that argument, I just disagree.

I think we should be targeting players we can actually sign and will improve us now, as we’ve had since last summer’s transfer window to do.

I don’t like the putting all eggs in one basket approach, and I think we all accept Broja isn’t going to play every game anyway.
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1518 likes

Post by NWhammer »

I think the mirror have generally been quite accurate this summer.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Last summer we waited patiently and Zouma all of a sudden come out of the blue (pardon the pun!) and started being linked to us in the press around late July/early August, before signing around the 29th August.

The question is who will be this year’s player from either one of the top 3, or Man Utd who could become available and Moyes will go after.
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3209 likes
Total likes: 2590 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:17 pm Last summer we waited patiently and Zouma all of a sudden come out of the blue (pardon the pun!) and started being linked to us in the press around late July/early August, before signing around the 29th August.

The question is who will be this year’s player from either one of the top 3, or Man Utd who could become available and Moyes will go after.
I’d absolutely love Rashford, but think his wages would be too high and he’d have elsewhere to go.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3016 likes
Total likes: 2672 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Hamburger wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:47 am Good 20yo player fees - Aaronson 13m, Botman 8m, Nunez 15m, Tchouameni 18m. Or are we saying he is better than Adeyemi at 30m and Nuno Mendes at 35m bought by top European clubs who I don't see coming in for Broja at those prices.
Adeyemi only had a deal until 2024.
Broja until 2026. There's a difference.

And we shouldn't compare Chelsea's (???) and Red Bull's business model.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3016 likes
Total likes: 2672 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Plus a good kicker, Broja doesn't fit into Tuchel's way of playing.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 1301 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Hamburger wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:59 am This is a good point. The closer we get to deadline day the chances are we might get Broja at a more realistic price as Chelsea start to panic? Also if we get another striker before too, our need becomes less great and would also help get the price down.
Entirely fair. But we don’t know what communication has taken place between West Ham and Chelsea, and West Ham and Broja’s representatives.

For all we know there is actually an understanding in place from all parties that if Sterling + whoever join Chelsea, it frees up Broja, who may or may not have indicated to us he’s keen on the move.

The point is we have no idea what has already taken place and what will take place in the coming weeks.

If the club are willing to spend £35m on Danjuma and Moyes doesn’t want to because he knows that money gets him Broja when Chelsea are ready to sell, job done.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 1301 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

EastVillageHammer wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:13 pm I completely take that argument, I just disagree.

I think we should be targeting players we can actually sign and will improve us now, as we’ve had since last summer’s transfer window to do.

I don’t like the putting all eggs in one basket approach, and I think we all accept Broja isn’t going to play every game anyway.
But if Moyes thinks Broja is that player to improve us now, and someone we can actually sign, why rush into signing plan B?

The amount of names we’ve been linked to suggests it’s not all the eggs in one basket, even if we take some away as pure media speculation, there’s still evidence we have a plan A, B, and C.
ironside58
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 94 likes

Post by ironside58 »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:24 am I know it’s pointless to reply to a post like this as it’ll just prompt two pages of panic from both sides of the argument. However, it is highly unlikely Moyes actually starts any new signings straight away, giving us until the window closes to strengthen the team.

We are actively looking to replace players that contributed the square root of **** all last year so waiting and getting the right player is critical.

If Broja takes until deadline day, so be it. Moyes will start Antonio until then anyway.

If the new left back takes until August 15th, so be it. Moyes will start Cresswell until then.

Same with Rice and Soucek.

As much as I don’t want to start the season with Cresswell, I think we all know he will be starting no matter what happens. The time to panic is September 1st if we haven’t done enough.
The issue then is does it end up like January. No idea wether it is Moyes or those supposedly on high or both but we never seem to be able to tie down players quickly.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1593 likes

Post by alf git »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:48 am It's been universally reported that Broja is our number one striker target, by Ex and C&H, along with more credible journo sources such as Jacob Steinberg and Fabrizio Romano (see tweet below).

Nailed on then :crylol: