Ice cream!

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Wilko1304, -DL-, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress

Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 78 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Re: Ice cream!

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Samba wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:11 pm One of each, squire..
Make that two!
Alexalphago
Has liked: 5 likes

Post by Alexalphago »

I want a vanilla :rofl:
Rust
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Rust »

Maxibon.

Can’t get hold of ‘em for love nor money anymore. Lidl do a replica, but it’s not the same.
Samba
Has liked: 1382 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by Samba »

Rust wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:25 pm Maxibon.

Can’t get hold of ‘em for love nor money anymore. Lidl do a replica, but it’s not the same.
Nothing ever is, mate..
Roby
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Roby »

badabing wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:14 am Used to love Ben and Jerry`s Cherry Garcia and Chunky Monkey, sadly they stopped doing them in the UK for some reason. Seems to be just the Cookie Dough and Fish Food varieties in my local supermarket freezers.
Cherry Garcia was my favourite, think you can still get it but as a frozen yoghurt, not the same though.
delbert
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by delbert »

Up the Junction wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:14 am I'm buying, what would you like?
Expensive tastes, but it's a Lord Toffingham for me.
This must have been before Lolly Gobble Choc Bombs and Jublee's so a Count Dracula please. I also notice a lack of draught ice cream, namely Mr Whippy....
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by Rio »

Not a lot of love for the mini milk. Very underrated lolly that
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 428 likes
Total likes: 736 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

If ever in Italy, and you like coffee, try a 'coffee creme'. They are soft in texture, almost melted, but absolutely delicious.

In fact, OT, coffee in Italy (and Spain) just tastes twice as good as it does in England. I think they use Arabica.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 428 likes
Total likes: 736 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Just had a Cassata; a creamy kind of tutti frutti idea.

Absolutely divine.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Has liked: 576 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by last.caress »

I just had a butterscotch Angel Delight flavoured ice cream. It was crap.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 195 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Whatever happened to Neapolitan? Sort of chequered vanilla, raspberry & chocolate? There was cake called that too.

There's also an Iranian (say Persian!) one called Bastani. Rosewater and Saffron. You have to go to a Turkish-type deli to get it but it's well delish.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 265 likes
Total likes: 635 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

last.caress wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:53 pm I just had a butterscotch Angel Delight flavoured ice cream. It was crap.
I love Butterscotch Angel Delight. I can do an entire bowl to myself.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 930 likes
Total likes: 101 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

I sell about 70 different types of liquorice in my shop, I can’t stand the stuff personally but one of them is a Dutch caramel liquorice. The first couple of times I sold it I couldn’t think what the smell reminded me of, after 2 servings I realised it was Birds Angel Delight, butterscotch flavour. I tried a bit, ate the caramel outer coating and spat the liquorice out, very nice.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Has liked: 576 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by last.caress »

RichieRiv wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:24 am I love Butterscotch Angel Delight. I can do an entire bowl to myself.
Absolutely! Which is why we bought the ice cream (in Iceland; they do a bunch of wacky novelty flavours in there). But it was deeply disappointing. Should've spent the money on actual Angel Delight instead. :(
RichieRiv
Has liked: 265 likes
Total likes: 635 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I hate it when they do things like that. Your expectations are so high, then they dash them in one fair swoop.
Junco Partner
Location: You wanna play mind-crazed banjo On the druggy-drag ragtime U.S.A.?
Has liked: 226 likes
Total likes: 280 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

I've a clear childhood memory of a Black Hole lolly, likely the successor to Count Dracula above and a marketing tie-in to a space adventure movie of the time. A gang of older boys patrolled our playground or outside the shop with the Walls sign and asked the unsuspecting "Hey do you want a Black Hole?"....the kick in the arse that followed a positive response had them in stitches :lol: .......<sigh> simpler times.

Anyway, if you're ever up Notting Hill / Ladbroke Grove way there's a branch of Amorino that does the best pistachio gelato in all London, it's not quite the same as slurping one down at sunset in a Tuscan hill town but it's a close second. I'd recommend the macaron's too.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 300 likes
Total likes: 311 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Rio wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:25 pm Not a lot of love for the mini milk. Very underrated lolly that
Yep, used to love a mini milk. Could never decide between the two flavours - strawberry and wasn't the other one milk? Or was it vanilla? So on hot days like today mum would get me and my brother one of each - we felt like kings - the only 'problem's which one to eat first. I've had worse problems. :)

I don't remember that rank looking dalek ice cream on the boss's menu board. Maybe my brain has chosen to forgot it because I remember the rest - it looks vile - like frozen bogies and *****.

Anyone had Roskilly's ice cream from the Lizard in Cornwall? There's some great ice-cream in Cornwall - Zennor moo-maid a lovely recent-ish addition. Kellys is good too for one of the big boys.