The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4743 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

westlondonhammer wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:32 pm I hope they're better than the fella Soucek and Coufal recommended... Kral
Soucek recommended Coufal in the first place to be fair.

Amine Harit, Soufyan Amrabat and Soufiane Rahimi are the three Aguerd recommended apparently, with Rahimi the most likely.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:29 pm We probably scouted players that played with him while we were looking at him, no surprise Moyes would ask his opinion on them I suppose 🤷‍♂️
He must know their left back well.
I'd take Terrier and Laborde.

Or maybe he is trying to get his pal En-Nesyri on board.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

OohAahButler wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:33 pm Yep, I think we were serious. Optimistic, but serious. Leaving it to the last minute to test the players / selling clubs resolve without giving time for others to swoop in. Didn’t work.
Why would relegation troubled Leeds sell their two best players without a hope of replacing them?? Was never going to happen. On top of that (and I appreciate the window still has a long way to go) where is that 100 mill now. We were happy spending 100 mill on two in Jan, lets see what we do this summer.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

honkytonk wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:28 pm End of Jan being the pertinent part. Do you really think we were serious about Phillips and Raphinna?? Even Nunez. 50 mill bids at the final knockings of the window, knowing full well they would not be sold. Sounds good that we bid though dont it!!!
I suspect we had £50m to spend on the right player so no I do not think we bid for all 3 at the same time. They play however in positions of need then and now and are quality. What I suspect is we spent a decent chunk of January pursuing Diaz losing out late on after which we tried for the others but failed.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Have we signed the Moroccan Messi yet?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

IronZ-79 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:21 pm Slow for transfer gossip.

Even newsnow has given up.
TBF I think there was a mini window up to 30 June due to FFP and now we are into more business as usual.
honkytonk

Post by honkytonk »

Gsbgsb wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:40 pm I suspect we had £50m to spend on the right player so no I do not think we bid for all 3 at the same time. They play however in positions of need then and now and are quality. What I suspect is we spent a decent chunk of January pursuing Diaz losing out late on after which we tried for the others but failed.
Thats a reasonable argument. Once again Moyes putting all his eggs in one basket potentially (like he has with Lingard it seems) and ending up with nothing. Lets hope he does better this summer as we currently have 15/16 outfield players (depending on Vlasic)!!!
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1605 likes

Post by alf git »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:47 pm Was reading that Bassey had iron man-like levels of stamina for Rangers but was blowing out of his backside playing for Nigeria. Maybe it is just because he is out of season. That said we need someone with the required stamina for the left back position.
She's getting on now you know.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:34 pm Soucek recommended Coufal in the first place to be fair.

Amine Harit, Soufyan Amrabat and Soufiane Rahimi are the three Aguerd recommended apparently, with Rahimi the most likely.
Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb »

honkytonk wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:43 pm Thats a reasonable argument. Once again Moyes putting all his eggs in one basket potentially (like he has with Lingard it seems) and ending up with nothing. Lets hope he does better this summer as we currently have 15/16 outfield players (depending on Vlasic)!!!
When you have £50m to spend and are trying to buy a £50m player your eggs are going to be in one basket. I very much doubt we were considering bringing in more than 1 in January. Unlike now that is not the window for a squad rebuild.

I fully expect that Moyes has identified both the positions he wants to strengthen and his preferred targets. He will work through these but I doubt he has the same fear as on here that they may not be in by August, he will be planning for the team he can put out in the next few seasons with this rebuild not for the team he can put out in August 2022.

Yes Lingard is an issue because different permutations signing him would open up. That he has still to sign for anyone is surprising and must mean there is a competition for his signature behind the scenes, who knows if we are still part of that. We might have already moved on.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1603 likes
Total likes: 1656 likes

Post by I am Legend »

I'm sorry but there is no one players can recommend that a scouting team doesn't already know about. They have every player in every league listed.

What they can do is answer some short snippets about the players temperament, if asked by a staff member...
Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb »

I am Legend wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:55 pm I'm sorry but there is no one players can recommend that a scouting team doesn't already know about. They have every player in every league listed.

What they can do is answer some short snippets about the players temperament, if asked by a staff member...
But we have only had a professionally organised scouting team for a matter on months. It takes time to get more than lists. 🙂
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1519 likes
Total likes: 3183 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

We had scouts and an analytics department before Newman arrived...

Recommendations from players, that's how we got legend Yaniv Katan, isn't it?
honkytonk

Post by honkytonk »

Gsbgsb wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:52 pm When you have £50m to spend and are trying to buy a £50m player your eggs are going to be in one basket. I very much doubt we were considering bringing in more than 1 in January. Unlike now that is not the window for a squad rebuild.

I fully expect that Moyes has identified both the positions he wants to strengthen and his preferred targets. He will work through these but I doubt he has the same fear as on here that they may not be in by August, he will be planning for the team he can put out in the next few seasons with this rebuild not for the team he can put out in August 2022.

Yes Lingard is an issue because different permutations signing him would open up. That he has still to sign for anyone is surprising and must mean there is a competition for his signature behind the scenes, who knows if we are still part of that. We might have already moved on.
I appreciate all that. The problem we have with the squad so painfully thin, we cant afford to wait around/chasing players that come the final day of the window blow us out and we are scratching around for alternatives (which is what we are saying happened in Jan). We are not talking 1 or 2, we need 5/6 more. Can we afford to wait until the end of the window for Chelsea to decide on selling Broja, or Lingard to make up his mind. What do we do if they so no?? Frmo all that is being reported, we have not moved on from Lingard, which is fine, but how long do we wait (and potentially miss out on other targets). The fella from Hull, allegedly in talks with Brentford. I dont think we have the luxury of waiting on players when we barely have enough for a 5 a side team!!!
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Is everyone still confident we will bring in another 4 players? (I think most expected about 6 incoming players before the window opened)
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I love the idea that joining West Ham is like being invited to a wedding where you can bring a plus one.

There was a point where we were being feverishly linked to every known Czech player and with special reference to certain positions - "we need a striker " - cue claims of, "we are interested in Schick, Hlozek"

Now we've signed a Moroccan. Same process.

It reeks of someone glancing down the transfermarkt list of Moroccan players and saying - well, who's a striker, who's a CM etc.
norse
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 835 likes

Post by norse »

Georgee Paris wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:02 pm Is everyone still confident we will bring in another 4 players? (I think most expected about 6 incoming players before the window opened)
Last summer we brought in 2 loans and 2 permanent signings, said earlier in the window that I think this window will be similar. Still think that's the case - 4 all togheter then.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 526 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

honkytonk wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:02 pm The problem we have with the squad so painfully thin, we cant afford to wait around/chasing players that come the final day of the window blow us out and we are scratching around for alternatives (which is what we are saying happened in Jan). We are not talking 1 or 2, we need 5/6 more. Can we afford to wait until the end of the window for Chelsea to decide on selling Broja, or Lingard to make up his mind. What do we do if they so no?? Frmo all that is being reported, we have not moved on from Lingard, which is fine, but how long do we wait (and potentially miss out on other targets). The fella from Hull, allegedly in talks with Brentford. I dont think we have the luxury of waiting on players when we barely have enough for a 5 a side team!!!
A friendly reminder that we have the best part of 60 days of the transfer window left.

StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3203 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Gsbgsb wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:56 pm But we have only had a professionally organised scouting team for a matter on months. It takes time to get more than lists. 🙂
Yeah, but Sully's been buying Jack a new copy of Football Manager every other season and claiming it as a business expense - depending on what leagues he has active, we know *all* the players.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Georgee Paris wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:02 pm Is everyone still confident we will bring in another 4 players? (I think most expected about 6 incoming players before the window opened)
Three, I think I'm confident of. Four is an outside bet.