The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

WoodvaleOne
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by WoodvaleOne »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:12 pm If the team that finished 7th starts the season with an improved CB you'll take 17th.

That makes sense :lol:
The team that was heading one way at the end of the season .. and it wasn't top 4
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I worry there’s a possibility of disharmony creeping in if the same players are expected to run themselves into the ground again without backup. These players will be acutely aware of how hard the last two seasons have been and the prospect of going into another season like the last two might not be as appealing. Also we’ve lost Noble and his influence in the dressing room and if our best player and captain gets his head turned or starts getting itchy feet… which a lot of people are expecting anyway this season… who is going to rally the troops? Antonio? Soucek? Fornals? Could we really expect them to do anymore having run themselves into the ground. Keep smiling Fornals.
That’s why I think it’s important, more so this season than previous seasons - as we’ve got far more to lose this time round.
Bucksexile
Has liked: 264 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Bucksexile »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:05 pm With Moyes 2018 set up.

I think that DM is veering towards a 4 3 3 formation, a la Klippety Klopp.

Under those circumstances we certainly need a LB and a CF. Provided that we get two quality players then that will do us fine.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

the board have NEVER shared or actually matched the supporters ambitions though.

now some shill will come on and point out the players we've brought in such as Haller and Anderson etc. who either were vanity signings or didn't address the positional needs or even the system (or lack of) that we played.

and we probably won't ever do that even with Moyes at the helm.

for instance we can all put forth our hopes and desires for this window.

what about next summer when Oggie, Cresswell, Antonio and Dawson will be one year older and need replacing then too. that's why I'm sure the majority on here look at the bigger picture and see that getting in 4 right now minimum is essential, as minus 2 of those now and we'll need another 6 next summer. and that's without any transfer moves out. it's a HUGE job that Moyes has on his hands.

bloody hard being a supporter of our team, always has been, always will be..

:crylol:
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:49 pm ….
what about next summer when Oggie, Cresswell, Antonio and Dawson …

And possibly Rice and Bowen…
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Georgee Paris wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:55 pm And possibly Rice and Bowen…
I did put in the caveat "without transfers out" and that another reason why a lot on here are looking for this window to be a "statement making" window.

hell we ain't asking for M'Bappe, Ronaldo, Messi or that. just players who don't even have to be BETTER than the starting XI but "AS GOOD AS." Shirley that's not the basis for a new Tom Cruise movie "Mission Impossible 10 - The Stratford Dilema".....

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

The lack of faith some people have in Moyes astounds me. What does it take to win the confidence of some people? He’s done pretty well, I would say.

Given the transfer market has always been his forte I would say he deserves until the end of the window before mass panic ensues.

I would say another three or four players will come in.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Chill people . Panic on 1st September if no one else has come in
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

He’s more trust house forte than transfer window forte.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:10 pm The lack of faith some people have in Moyes astounds me. What does it take to win the confidence of some people? He’s done pretty well, I would say.

Given the transfer market has always been his forte I would say he deserves until the end of the window before mass panic ensues.

I would say another three or four players will come in.
Some people have become completely obsessed with transfers, it's a strange modern phenomenon.
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

S-H wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:14 pm

Some people have become completely obsessed with transfers, it's a strange modern phenomenon.
New players don’t grow on trees.
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3209 likes
Total likes: 2590 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

S-H wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:14 pm Some people have become completely obsessed with transfers, it's a strange modern phenomenon.
Normally I’d agree and say it was a product of younger people being obsessed with FIFA and Football Manager.

In our case, Moyes has worked wonders with a squad that was ready for the knackers yard a few years ago.

We also know we can’t have any duds because we’re starting from a harder position that those around us - we needed to sign a striker last summer and didn’t etc.

I think the knicker wetting is a product of knowing who our owners are, knowing how close we came to silverware but for a few signings, and seeing those around us get stronger.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

By this time last year we'd converted Dawson's loan to a permanent. Signed Ekwah, Nevers and Okoflex.

So we are already doing better than last summer in terms of the first team.

Feels like there have been more viable links this summer as well.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 970 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Bucksexile wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:49 pm I think that DM is veering towards a 4 3 3 formation, a la Klippety Klopp.

Under those circumstances we certainly need a LB and a CF. Provided that we get two quality players then that will do us fine.
Just 2 players definitely won’t do us fine.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1830 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

S-H wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:14 pm Love to know why?
We’d need a miracle no injuries, suspensions or dips in form as currently there’s nothing on the bench. Also, hopefully we won’t go behind in any match as there are no game changers to bring on.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Macca1973 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:28 pm We’d need a miracle no injuries, suspensions or dips in form as currently there’s nothing on the bench. Also, hopefully we won’t go behind in any match as there are no game changers to bring on.
Even if we had them, Moyes would leave them keeping the bench warm
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Macca1973 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:28 pm We’d need a miracle no injuries, suspensions or dips in form as currently there’s nothing on the bench. Also, hopefully we won’t go behind in any match as there are no game changers to bring on.
How is that different from last season though, mate?

Our 1-11 is easily good enough for another 7th place finish as it stands.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1830 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:31 pm Bar Cresswell, that's a decent top 7 side.
You’re right, I have stated that, the first 11 is top 7/8 but after that there’s nothing! We were extremely lucky with suspensions and injuries last season, unlikely to be so lucky again. Take Rice, Bowen or Antonio out of that 11 and then what?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

MB wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:25 pm By this time last year we'd converted Dawson's loan to a permanent. Signed Ekwah, Nevers and Okoflex.

So we are already doing better than last summer in terms of the first team.

Feels like there have been more viable links this summer as well.
and how many first team games did those 3 play ? not digging you out mate, but we've added Agurd. we might have made Areola permanent but he was here last season. we've also lost Noble, Yarmo, and Fred. not counting Kral at all.

and Oggie didn't have an ACL injury this time last year. no telling how good he's going to be. obviously ACL's are not what they used to be as far as the op goes, but they are still pretty severe and he's not a young kid.

and as for those saying don't panic until Sept 1st, well that would be great if we started the season on Sept 2nd. we don't.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

Macca1973 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:41 pm You’re right, I have stated that, the first 11 is top 7/8 but after that there’s nothing! We were extremely lucky with suspensions and injuries last season, unlikely to be so lucky again. Take Rice, Bowen or Antonio out of that 11 and then what?
Which is the same for most clubs outside the six above us who have £100m-£300m more revenue per year to play with.

Hate to break it to you but we could sign six more players and we'd still have to hope none of those listed are out long term.