The Johnson Government 2019-2022

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Re: The Johnson Government 2019-202?

Post by EvilC »

NEXT.

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Dammit DL, that's addictive!
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Very real human element to this that's being missed in all the bluster. Across all of the various allegations about Pincher the number of victims must be approaching double figures. These are people that will have been close friends and colleagues of the people resigning or coming out and demanding Johnson resigns.

Helps to understand why this is the one that has tipped some people over the edge.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

-DL- wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:31 am What's that got to do with anything? I bet it sounded much better in your head than it actually comes over. In fact, I'm a bit boggled as to what your actual point is, which then takes me back to it sounding better in your head than it looks on screen :grin:
"Sullivan might be a douche, but we shouldn't judge him too harshly because he did at least buy Payet".
OFT
Has liked: 3234 likes
Total likes: 1851 likes

Post by OFT »

-DL- wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:17 am You're such a knob :grin:
It's a gift innit :arry:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:09 am "Sullivan might be a douche, but we shouldn't judge him too harshly because he did at least buy Payet".
But I never said don't judge him harshly, actually the complete opposite you wally.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Has anyone got a count yet?

sussexhammer74
Has liked: 269 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

EvilC wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:19 am Has anyone got a count yet?
If it was a boxing match, the ref would have stopped it.

Surely, Johnson won't be there for PMQ. I was going to add "if he had anything about him" but even so he can't last this.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

At the time -DL- I would have agreed with you. But with the benefit of hindsight, I suspect history will judge the covid measures as a gross overreaction that created a butterfly effect with an impact on this country (and further afield) not seen since the 1930s.

Only this week the Bank of England advised banks to up their capital reserves because of the **** storm that is looming. The Central Banks know that really bad times are on the horizon, I suspect Sunak also knows this, but Boris wants to be popular with the electorate. The saviour.

Mark my words, people won't give a **** about MPs pinching other men's arses, cheese and wine parties, Covid fines or helping out old cronies when the shelves are empty, the middle classes are losing their jobs (who bear the brunt of the tax burden), people's houses are being repossessed and there are no tax revenues to keep public services running.

I think what events of the last 24 hours have shown is the public (myself included) does not really understand politics because it's not like real life. There is the truth behind the truth that is behind the truth. What is reported is at face value and that is what is interpreted. I have been told this morning by someone who knows the inner workings that this has nothing to do with integrity or differences in opinion over policy. This is about 2 people jumping ship to ready themselves for a leadership contest. The Tory backbenchers are moving heaven and earth you change the rules so that Boris can get outed.

They're all self serving c****.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

This potential Sunak scandal should provide a nice respite from the Johnson scandals. From Private Eye.
A thoroughly Moderna Man
Rishi Sunak , Issue 1576

WILL Rishi Sunak's Treasury sign off on the cash needed for health secretary Sajid Javid's recently announced "strategic partnership" with vaccine maker Moderna? The chancellor certainly knows the company well from his previous life as a hedgie.
rishi-sunak.jpg
LIFE ON THE HEDGE: Former hedge fund manager Rishi Sunak, who was still at Theleme Partners when it first invested in Moderna
According to Javid, the deal will "cement the UK's status as a science superpower" and involve "a state-of-the-art manufacturing centre" exploiting Moderna's "truly transformational" mRNA technology. But beyond the hyperbole there are no further details.
Prime minister Boris Johnson welcomed the "investment" that will put "jabs in arms". But what investment? How much? The "strategic partnership", which evidently involves the commitment of public money, is "commercially sensitive" and therefore secret, said the Department of Health and Social Care.

Increased stake
This will please the owners of Moderna. Among its major shareholders is US hedge fund Theleme Partners, which in recent months has increased its stake in Moderna by around 25 percent and now holds stock worth over $1bn – more than a third of the fund's portfolio, making Moderna its largest investment.

Theleme is the firm co-founded by chancellor Rishi Sunak in 2009 with fellow hedgie Patrick Degorce. Until 2013 Sunak ran the US arm of the operation that managed funds registered in the Cayman Islands. It was during Sunak's time at Theleme that it first invested in Moderna – from which it has gone on to make hundreds of millions of dollars in profit.

Sunak left Theleme in 2013 but would have been rewarded with a significant stake. Given that his department will have to approve the taxpayer-funded investment in Moderna, the question of whether he retained an interest in Theleme or its funds acquires a new importance. Sunak has previously refused to say; surely it's now time to come clean? But no. Again he declined to answer.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 1087 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:03 am Very real human element to this that's being missed in all the bluster. Across all of the various allegations about Pincher the number of victims must be approaching double figures. These are people that will have been close friends and colleagues of the people resigning or coming out and demanding Johnson resigns.

Helps to understand why this is the one that has tipped some people over the edge.
You would think close friends and colleagues would have known about him or at the very least heard parliamentary chatter.
E15Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by E15Iron »

One thing I have always said about Conservative politicians is that, although I may disagree with them politically at times, they are honourable and decent human beings. I still do about a lot of them, however how the f*ck have they come up with Lee Anderson, Nadim Zahawi, Nadine Dorries, Bozo the Clown, Victorian Rees Mogg, Michael Fabricant and that dinosaur Peter Bone?!?

Anyone remember coalition of chaos with Red Ed?
OFT

Post by OFT »

Could Johnson unilaterally call a general election and therefore beat the 1922 mob to a new 'VONC' ?
I realise it would be for spite but if he's going get the chop he may as well
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:54 am You would think close friends and colleagues would have known about him or at the very least heard parliamentary chatter.
True. I'm thinking more about people finding out (without doubt) that the PM knew about it, gave him a cushy job and then lied about the whole thing.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

PMQs

OFT

Post by OFT »

Starmer, " The charge of the light weight brigade"

:grin:
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 1087 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:04 pm True. I'm thinking more about people finding out (without doubt) that the PM knew about it, gave him a cushy job and then lied about the whole thing.
They already knew he had the cushy job too. Why not resign the moment he was given the role?
steps
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by steps »

Starmer is giving him an absolute shoeing here.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Send 'em out on a stretcher.