Women's Euro 2022

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Women's Euro 2022

Post by YorksHammer »

Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this or not, but as it's an International Tournament figured here was better the General. Feel free to move though, Mods.

Women's Euros start tonight, England as hosts vs Austria at Old Trafford. England amongst the favourites to win, and Spain have just lost the current Balon D'Or winner to an ACL tear which possibly throws them into a bit of a quandry.

Seems we as a nation have really taken to this tournament, with upwards of 500k tickets sold already. Personally I've got tickets to the semi final in Sheffield which could have England in it if they get through that far as group winners. On paper, Norway are the team that will stand in their way in the group stage.

Should be a really good tournament, I think.

Should go without saying but, like, please don't be a dick about the women's game.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Re: Women's Euro 2022

Post by Jonah »

Hope Ellen White the Hammer has a good tournament. :newthumb:
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

Hopefully that goals settles England down a bit - have looked a little bit tense and like we're trying to force things in the first 15 minutes.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

First time I've watched a women's game for the entire 90 mins and only because it was the last leg of my acca to win to nil. Well done England. You made it fairly pain-free for me!
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:07 am First time I've watched a women's game for the entire 90 mins and only because it was the last leg of my acca to win to nil. Well done England. You made it fairly pain-free for me!
Thought we looked a little disjointed, more so than we have in the build up matches, but got the job done and that's what matters.

I know Lucy Bronze is an excellent player, possibly our best, but I'm really not sure she is actually that good in our system. I don't have a good comparison for her but she seems to be a bit like Rooney in that she wants to be everywhere all at once. Different positions, of course, but that kind of thing where she'll just turn up anywhere on the pitch at any time. Austria repeatedly got into a space she had left behind her while foraging forward, and it left us short at the back. Against better teams, that might get exposed.
Alexalphago

Post by Alexalphago »

a wonderful game!

but it is not enough cuz England and Norway got same points in group a now
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Bit of a dodgy penalty there
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

I haven't watched a great deal of women's football. But England look very useful here. They're playing some great stuff against (from what I read) a decent team.

It's good that the women's game is advancing at such a rate in this country. The coaching they get now is top notch. And that's from grassroots upwards. The standard of grassroots coaching in this country has definitely gone up in the last 10-15 years so you have to give the FA credit there even if they do get a lot of other stuff wrong.
Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

6-0 to England and not even half time :shocker:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Thought from media that Norway were favourites for this. Their defence is crap and England are having a field day. It's like Brazil v Germany 2014.
Yeah penalty a bit questionable but did you see the passing phase that led up to it? Checkmate!
Been watching a few games and quality varies but Sweden and France have been pretty good too.
bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard »

Some of the goals were top drawer.
bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard »

Bjørge Lillelien can you hear me? Your girls are getting one hell of a beating!!
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

This is bloody brilliant - as a match and as an occasion.

Reminds me a bit of the Euro 96 Netherlands game.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

bonzosbeard wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:52 pm Some of the goals were top drawer.
Some superb skills on show! Take into account that Norway are making it somewhat easy for England giving them so much space. I loved Ellen White pouncing in for that 6th
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

Ellen White must be, or nearly be, the highest international goalscorer for England, man or woman. She's past Kane, so is possibly only behind Rooney.

This is an absolute demolition job so far. And is very impressive against certainly the most fancied other team in our group, I believe.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:23 pm Ellen White must be, or nearly be, the highest international goalscorer for England, man or woman. She's past Kane, so is possibly only behind Rooney.

This is an absolute demolition job so far. And is very impressive against certainly the most fancied other team in our group, I believe.
I believe she's level with Rooney but what does that actually matter? She's the highest female international goalscorer for England. Well done to her.

I find it strange that they keep referencing the mens game even so just now "no team, men or womens has scored more than 6 goals in the Euros"

The records aren't the same, they're separate and always will be. Nobody before the game was saying men held the record for most goals scored in a game at the Euros, just seems odd to me.

The womens game needs to focus on itself and not as the game that's in the shadow of the mens. There has been massive investment in England for Womens Football. Long may it continue. But it has a long way to go.

England have come a long way since the last world cup, Norway I believe, eliminated them.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Wonderful game and great performance by England. Womens football has come a long way and, at this level, is great to watch.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

It's always great to watch eleven England international footballers playing well.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

Southgate should take note - let the team play with a bit of freedom and flair, and good things might happen.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

vietnammer wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:46 pm Thought from media that Norway were favourites for this. Their defence is crap and England are having a field day. It's like Brazil v Germany 2014.
Yeah penalty a bit questionable but did you see the passing phase that led up to it? Checkmate!
Been watching a few games and quality varies but Sweden and France have been pretty good too.
That's the only game I can think to compare it to, Norway are one of the big nations in the women's game and they've absolutely lost their heads.

Got to love the way England have put them to the sword though. Real confidence to just keep blitzing through, not letting them have some time to get a breather. Ruthless, winners attitude.