The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Sale-Away
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Sale-Away »

Looking at the list of free agents - there are a couple of names that could add depth in defence for us and possibly be pushing a starting position, could be a back up option if Moyes can't get his first choices. Jason Denayer, Dan-Axel Zagadou both full-internationals and can could do a half decent job from what I have seen of them.

I have signed both on Football Manager and I have won numerous leagues and cups, so I think Moyes could learn a thing or two from me.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1214 likes
Total likes: 587 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:57 am i find it a bit odd that when diop was playing quite regularly nobody seemed to be complaining much about him but now he's the worst defender in the premier league apparently.
Diop was getting regularly hammered on here when he was playing. He put in some woeful performances. I actually think he still has potential - his got lots of strengths but he decision making is shocking.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1674 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 522 likes
Total likes: 1318 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:16 am
Let's get the ball rolling.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:16 am Let's get the ball rolling.
That buys us Szalai
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1674 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

S-H wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:18 am That buys us Szalai
With change right?
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:45 am Your 3rd paragraph could apply to pretty much everyone of our players over thr last couplenof seasons bar Rice, Bowen and maybe Zouma

Soucek, Coufal even Fornals are all players who were good enough for where we were and helping us get to this point but aren't going to take us further, especially Soucek

However, we can't replace them all - and nor should we.

Benhrama is plenty good enough for where we are at the moment but just needs to be given more freedom to play without knowing he is going to be subbed/ benched every game
As my first paragraph pointed out there are few that we cannot realistically upgrade on.

It is a series of priorities. You upgrade regularly, there is no way you can do it in one window, simple economics dictates this as much as anything as the cost of the upgrade will be significant.

Benrahma for me is high on the list. Given his position Soucek for example brings ten times to the team what Benrahma does. Soucek might not be the pretty player with the silky skills but this is not street football but about being effective and unfortunately Benny is more often ineffective in games than effective.

Some seem to gave latched onto Soucek’s passing and decided it can be improved on (which it can) and he is therefore a poor player without ever looking at what he does off the ball. His covering and closing of space, the fact that he pretty much makes an area of the box a no go zone from set pieces for the opposition, on our set pieces he inevitably attracts their best marker leaving options for others and still managed 5 goals in his allegedly “poor” season last year.

There was a reason why Man City with so much possession created so few chances yesterday and that was in large part Soucek’s work out of possession. Fornals was criticised, again he worked like a dog without the ball whilst, when he came on with fresh legs, Benrahma largely looked.

Upgrading a player is not just about improving on his weaknesses but also at least replicating his strengths. That for me is the difficulty with upgrading on someone like Soucek certainly within our sort of budget. You gamble all on the better passer making the whole team better as you likely lose out on what Soucek achieves when we do not have the ball.

As I said against poor teams where they will give him more freedom Benrahma will prosper but when we play the better sides his deficiencies on both sides of the ball are exposed.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

Yeh I know that's what we want but I would rather see who we are buying at this moment but if we have an unhappy player get rid .
hammersk
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by hammersk »

S-H wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:01 am Do you have inside information?
We all do - Moyes planted 2 very succinct articles in the media this week.

Losing Lingard and Onana and all the others he alluded to has clearly knocked the stuffing out of him
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

Is Szalai a CB capable of playing LB if needed or is he equally capable in both?
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

I’m not sure anyone can know for sure if selling the likes of Diop and Benrahma - who both played a lot of games during a successful period for the club - would lead to a definite improvement via their replacements. It’s really just about if the money is good enough to make you want to roll the dice. Anything above £45m for the pair starts to look tempting.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 522 likes
Total likes: 1318 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Scratchy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:19 am Is Szalai a CB capable of playing LB if needed or is he equally capable in both?
100% capable of playing LB.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/attila- ... ler/263380

But only 19 appearances in that position. 126 at CB.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

hammers92 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:01 am 6 more games to play this month, and we’re still not adequately ready for the season.
Couldn't agree more, in a worst case scenario we lose 15 points and get knocked out of europa conference.
That means we miss 6+ europa conf matches and our chances of qualification for europe next season massively slimmed too.
We ballsed up by not signing anyone in January and now we are running the risk of failure by taking too long to sign enough players (if any more) in this window. And in the last few transfer windows we haven't actually done much on deadline day if i recall correctly.
We don't seem to be match fit, we haven't made enough signings and by the time either get up and running, these matches and maybe more will have passed us by.

In reality i would hope we do qualify for europa group stage and will have won 2 or 3 matches come the end of the transfer window, so i'm not panicking, but at the same time somebody needs to look at what is holding us up whether with transfers or the fact we seem to be about 2-3 weeks behind other teams.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Aceface wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:21 am I’m not sure anyone can know for sure if selling the likes of Diop and Benrahma - who both played a lot of games during a successful period for the club - would lead to a definite improvement via their replacements. It’s really just about if the money is good enough to make you want to roll the dice. Anything above £45m for the pair starts to look tempting.
I think we'll be lucky to get £15mil each.
I'm not sure if playing a lot of games particularly enforces the idea that they were any good?
I should think most on here would rightly or wrongly think, had we had someone else to bring on instead, they would have done better.
They played or came on as we didn't have anyone else instead.
Last edited by kitthehammer on Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1990 likes
Total likes: 4738 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

hammersk wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:19 am We all do - Moyes planted 2 very succinct articles in the media this week.

Losing Lingard and Onana and all the others he alluded to has clearly knocked the stuffing out of him
May as well sack him now then.

I'm sure Benitez is available.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:00 am I have no desire to be 'right' about Aguerd and hope to be wrong, but I understand that expressing doubts is all a bit too much for the unquestioning, happy-clappers. :)

Ogbonna has had two bad injuries in the last 16 months and hardly played.
Dawson is as error prone as Diop and age is against him.

Mistake to make Diop the first one out.
I agree Bubbles. Diop is a decent ayer IMHO and has been messed about a bit

That seems to be one of Moyes' failings. If your face doesn't fit then there is not much scope to improve your position in the eyes of the manager. You know you are not ever really going to be in his good books whatever you do. He is pretty old skool in that respect. My way or the highway. This obviously benefits some players and can be q positive when all going well but also clearly hinders other players qnd creates issues when things not so rosy

Think Vlasic, Diop, Benny, Kral, Haller etc

Whereas 'blood and snotters' types (Dawson, Creswell, Soucek, fornals to q certain extent) are clear favourite
Wormley The 2nd
Has liked: 71 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Wormley The 2nd »

Looks like Moyes is dismantling that particular French clique: Masuaku > Diop > Benrahma

Quite like Diop myself, but at 25 it's understandable that he wants more game time.

Another Pellegrini signing that Moyes never really fancied.
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:24 am I think we'll be lucky to get £15mil each.
If we don't get more than £15m for 8 goals and 6 assists Benrahma then a) we are doing something wrong and b) we shouldn't sell him.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Last edited by paulhs1 on Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3041 likes
Total likes: 2686 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

There's always one post.

hammersk wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:31 am Lingard is signing.