The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Bucksexile
Has liked: 264 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Bucksexile »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:37 am We've agreed personal terms as far as been reported?
All I can see is about 2 days old when our offer was rejected. Nothing about personal terms being agreed.

I hope that this is not another twatter rumour.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4743 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Bucksexile wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:00 am All I can see is about 2 days old when our offer was rejected. Nothing about personal terms being agreed.

I hope that this is not another twatter rumour.
Dusseldorf shared last night that personal terms are agreed.
Bucksexile

Post by Bucksexile »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:05 am Dusseldorf shared last night that personal terms are agreed.
Oh, well that's OK then.

Thank you, Herr Dusseldorf.
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1527 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Linked with Moises Caceido, box to box midfielder from Brighton.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/08/14/a ... kante/?amp

We were linked to him before he went to Brighton as well. Can’t see them letting him go for less than 40m
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

NWhammer wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:13 am Linked with Moises Caceido, box to box midfielder from Brighton.

We were linked to him before he went to Brighton as well. Can’t see them letting him go for less than 40m
Yeah, not a chance. He's their replacement for Bissouma.

Apparently, his transfer was a bit of a masterstroke. There were several agents who claimed they represented him and it was all a bit tricky and put most clubs off. Brighton really worked at it and got a deal done for relative peanuts. They see him now as £50M+.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

NWhammer wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:13 am Linked with Moises Caceido, box to box midfielder from Brighton.

What load of absolute ****ing horseshit that report is. A) There is no way on God's ochre planet, Sully will pay £40m for him
B) If he bids at all, he will wade in at £20m
C) No way will get him with all those other clubs interested
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

BigFatSam wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:05 am The funny thing is, I really don’t think Moyes is interested in getting a LB 😂
I think he probably was but has subsequently given up on the idea for one main reason - no modern left back is a good enough defender. If they are they're the top tier bracket and either already at an elite club or looking to move to an elite club. We're then either priced out of the move if the former, or nor considered for a move if the latter.

The next best thing is then to either a) play with wing backs, or 2) sign an LCB who is competent at LB. We've been linked with, or made, both moves this summer and even recently (Diallo, Szalai...I'm sure there was another, all LCB/LBs). Cornet can play LWB easily, with an attacking remit. Coufal is capable of the same on the right.

I'm not convinced the Szalai deal is 'dead', to be honest. I don't think it was reported as so either.

I do have a bit of frustration if, long-term this season, our plan is a back 3. Not because I don't like the formation - in fact, quite the opposite - but because I think we should have been playing thay formation constantly in pre-season if it's going to be how we approach games throughout the season. We haven't, to my understanding, done that - so was this a long-term plan, or is it a sudden flip of the plan? If the latter, I can't help but feel that after one game of the season it's not the time to be deciding to rip up the tactical play book and settle on a new primary formation. That's what preseason is surely for?
Bucksexile

Post by Bucksexile »

Agree, Yorkshire.

A proper Left Back is like Hens Teeth.

Another option is ........ grow your own!! That's why we have an academy.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

I'm wondering if Moyes is considering using full backs in a similar way to Citeh last week.

Five at the back (Citeh just had four) but instead of full backs being pseudo-wingers when we're in possession, they tuck in as defensive midfielders and allow one or both midfielders to push on. Szalai and Kehrer, for instance, have both played DM.

Defending: 5-2-2-1
Attacking: 3-2-4-1

Or something.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I think Coufal, despite the fact he's a good crosser of the ball, is not suited to play as a wing-back. Not enough pace and not quite good enough on the ball. I think Kehrer quite possibly would be replacing him. Coufal actually would be OK as a right centre-back in a back three. I think Moyes as played him like that on previous occasions. I wouldn't be surprised to see us bring in another centre-back even if we do sign Kehrer.
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:34 am I'm wondering if Moyes is considering using full backs in a similar way to Citeh last week.

Five at the back (Citeh just had four) but instead of full backs being pseudo-wingers when we're in possession, they tuck in as defensive midfielders and allow one or both midfielders to push on.

Defending: 5-2-2-1
Attacking: 3-2-4-1

Or something.
Really surprised that this is only being talked about now considering Liverpool played Alexaander-Arnold as a winger and at times a midfielder for pretty much the whole of last season.

City and Liverpool actually play very similar in that they want to play the game in the opposing teams half and squeeze further up the pitch with pressing as a key part of that strategy.

You're not really going to get hit on the break if you can do this effectively and really only need 3 and in some cases 2 at the back.
westhamlinnet
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by westhamlinnet »

As for the Brighton player Moses if I remember we were heavily linked along with Brighton when he was playing in Ecuador .However Sullivan moyes whoever didn’t have the ability to sign him for peanuts . What we need from Brighton is their scouting system and Director of football and possibly manager as they seem to find players quickly cheaply and sell for profit whereas we find players prevaricate lose players and sell at heavy loss
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Can we dispel this stuff about wanting to pay peanuts? we've done 80 odd million this window, and still not finished.

It becomes so tedious, when the figures show otherwise.

I'm not sticking up for the board, just pointing out the truth in the fruitless hope that I don't have to keep reading this oft repeated, false narrative.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1033 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

westhamlinnet wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:41 am As for the Brighton player Moses if I remember we were heavily linked along with Brighton when he was playing in Ecuador .However Sullivan moyes whoever didn’t have the ability to sign him for peanuts . What we need from Brighton is their scouting system and Director of football and possibly manager as they seem to find players quickly cheaply and sell for profit whereas we find players prevaricate lose players and sell at heavy loss
But we do also hold on to players that are better than anything Brighton have ever had in their entire history.
Bond Holder 59+
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59+ »

Bucksexile wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:34 am Agree, Yorkshire.

Now your singing my hymn. Not only grow them, but daily put them out in the sun for a limited periods to acclimatise before leaving them out forever.

In short, play them in matches for short periods so you can judge in situ whether they are good enough to eventually become the finished article. Develop some of our own potential rather than spend millions on other club’s unfinished articles, in the hope they have talent spotted better than we have.
What do I know, I’m no Monty Don!
😉
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

I've got to say this is getting ridiculous, they announced Dennis and Kouyate yesterday, Maupay supposedly having his medical today and they're still going

Derby Hammer
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Derby Hammer »

Hugh Jargon wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:59 am Starting to make sense now

1st team

Thilo Kehrer Zouma Aguerd

Coufal Cresswell

Res

Dawson Vacancy Ogbonna

Ashby Johnson

Assuming Kehrer comes I'm expecting another CB (assuming Baptiste isn't ready). No left back!
Is there a need for an additional CB just because we play three CBs? They all just have to be a bit more flexible. Desire for Moyes might be to play a three, with Oggy or Daws covering any of those three if it’s needed. Any longer term issues and we have to switch to a 2 CB formation. Without going into formations too much, but this idea of players to fit Moyes’s system that gets talked about so often as if there’s one fixed system… surely we should have more than one system. Tactic A isn’t working in a match, revert to plan B or C. Plan A isn’t suitable when playing against X so we use plan B from the start etc…

Yes, I get the need for an additional CB to plan for Oggy and Daws departures. Hopefully one of the U23s can step up to the bench and the odd start this season with the plan for them to be fully involved next season. That means we can use our money for other purchases this season and then just replace one of them next summer.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

paulhs1 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:50 am I've got to say this is getting ridiculous, they announced Dennis and Kouyate yesterday, Maupay supposedly having his medical today and they're still going

It's like they are signing a new team to replace the new team they signed two weeks ago. Proper strange.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Bucksexile wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:34 am Agree, Yorkshire.

Longelo is the LB coming through, right? And we also have Ashby on the right. Both, from what I've seen, appear to be more modern full backs, I.e. attacking is strong, pace gets them up and down, defensively a little bit questionable.

But both might well be suited to that 3-4-3 and roles as wing backs.

I posted in the formation thread, but I think shifting between 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-3 is what Moyes wants to do, and I think he wants to do it with as little disruption to his first 11 as possible. Hence why signing Cornet - a left wing who can equally be used as a LWB - and Kehrer - an RB/RCB equally capable at both - have been targeted. It keeps the squad relatively small but the quality of the more flexible players is key to it working. It's why I don't think the deal for Szalai - or similar (Kiwior, was it?) - is dead as an LB/LCB signing either, because they can work in both systems.

One thing I will say, with regards Cresswell, is there's much less doubt (for me) about his ability to get up to the attacking end of the pitch and deliver a ball into the box or overlap the winger ahead of him. As a reserve LWB I wouldn't really have a problem with him and thing he'd cover admirably.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:55 am It's like they are signing a new team to replace the new team they signed two weeks ago. Proper strange.
Their owner is gambling, but he's going with the quantity over quality approach.

I cannot think of a time when a team has had this many new signings/squad additions and actually done well.