Need a new car

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: Need a new car

Post by smuts »

I got my last car during the first lockdown when I really didn't want to but had to either give the old one back, buy it or get a new one.

So glad I did, its now about 160 quid dearer a month and a waiting list of over 6 months plus. I waited 2 weeks and it came with a top spec remote second immobiliser they never charged me for.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

My SIL sold her 68 plate golf back to the dealer this week. After clearing the £9k remaining finance she has thousand £s in her pocket. She is going to lease in a few weeks when the new reg plates are out.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Well here's a little bit of car trivia - for the only time since it's launch in 1976, the Ford Fiesta has gone 4 consecutive months out of the UK top 10 sellers list. It last appeared in the top 10 in March - in 10th place.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

-DL- wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:30 pm Well here's a little bit of car trivia - for the only time since it's launch in 1976, the Ford Fiesta has gone 4 consecutive months out of the UK top 10 sellers list. It last appeared in the top 10 in March - in 10th place.
I loved my mk4 fiesta. Brilliant handling, AC, plenty MPG, easy to service & repair.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:42 pm I loved my mk4 fiesta. Brilliant handling, AC, plenty MPG, easy to service & repair.
I had an H Reg (Mk3?) 1.1 LX. Was proper proud of that car. Was my first relatively new one. Three year old Ex-Motability car that was previously 'owned' by my old man. back in the days when you could come to a deal with Motabulity directly. :grin:

The only reason that sales are so crap at the mo is because Ford are focussing (no pun intended) on the vehicles with a higher profit margin due to the semi-conductor shortage - those being the Puma, Kuga, and the commercial vehicles which have the largest profit margin of them all - the Transit, Transit Custom and the Ranger.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about cars.

My car feels like it is about to die. This has been a long time coming. Therefore I am considering a new car. Probably an EV.

I have been considering the new Nissan.

Does anyone have any comments or ideas?
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

EvilC wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:11 am Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about cars.

My car feels like it is about to die. This has been a long time coming. Therefore I am considering a new car. Probably an EV.

I have been considering the new Nissan.

Does anyone have any comments or ideas?
For EVs (I'm no expert here either), the main thing I'd be looking for is range and charge time. I mostly do shorter journeys (office commute to Basildon once a week being my longest journey usually), so that really opens up pretty much all EVs range wise.

If you travel far or a decent distance regularly then it would be at the top of my 'keep a good eye on it' list.

As usual, budget and what practicality you need will play a part. If you don't have kids to ferry about then the world is your oyster!
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

My first car was a W reg ('98?) Fiesta. Lovely little car and perfect for a first timer.

One of my brothers had bought it brand new for about 7 grand with two years free insurance (for a 17 year old!), Then racked up about 105k miles before I got it.

Had to get it deep cleaned as I knew what he had been up to in it, but got a good couple of years out of it.

It had developed a weird fault where anytime you braked for a roundabout (didn't seem to happen when braking generally), it would conk out then you'd have to restart it quickly whilst the power steering made it impossible to turn.

Nearly went off the road coming out of Broomfield hospital where the mini roundabout was.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

I am mainly using it for short range driving.

I have kids, so I don’t get to have anything fun. I wouldn’t appreciate it even if I could, I just need something functional for my wife to scrape along the kerb at school drop off.

I am currently driving a 13 year old A class, I bought it before my first kid was born 11 years ago. It has been great but having used a hire car on holiday I felt I was missing out on having something halfway modern, plus the older it gets, the more I get concerned about reliability.
Rowly
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Rowly »

EvilC wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:34 pm I am mainly using it for short range driving.

I have kids, so I don’t get to have anything fun. I wouldn’t appreciate it even if I could, I just need something functional for my wife to scrape along the kerb at school drop off.

I am currently driving a 13 year old A class, I bought it before my first kid was born 11 years ago. It has been great but having used a hire car on holiday I felt I was missing out on having something halfway modern, plus the older it gets, the more I get concerned about reliability.
I'm currently driving a Renault Zoe EV that I have on a monthly rolling subscription with ONTO whilst I'm waiting for my Skoda Enyaq EV to be delivered. Have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. Got a real world range around 190 miles which is absolutely fine for short range round town driving. Takes about 30 mins to charge from around 20% to full on a rapid charger, tho I keep it topped up mostly with my home charger that can be set to run purely off Solar generated power. I also drove it from East Sussex up to the Lake District back in June when we were up there for a weeks break. It all worked really well - 3 charging stops on the the way up and managed to do it in 2 on the way home. Worth a look.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

EvilC wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:34 pm I am mainly using it for short range driving.

The new nissan looks great, and they are fantastic at building EVs as they were one of the first and build them as pure EV rather than an ice car that's turned into an EV at the factory

I'd look at the MGs tbh .. the SUV one looks alright and the MG 5 (estate) is decent

Decent range, 7 year warranty

Cheap aswell (compared)
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:17 pm The new nissan looks great, and they are fantastic at building EVs as they were one of the first and build them as pure EV rather than an ice car that's turned into an EV at the factory

I'd look at the MGs tbh .. the SUV one looks alright and the MG 5 (estate) is decent

Decent range, 7 year warranty

Cheap aswell (compared)
ive got the MG zs , its great for my needs, however long waiting list atm , and you want the long range model with 270 miles range
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Thanks lads, don't listen to what everyone else says, you lot are ****ing ace.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

chigwells finest wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:00 am ive got the MG zs , its great for my needs, however long waiting list atm , and you want the long range model with 270 miles range
Got my eye on one of them (long range) or the 5 long range second hand in a few years

Think would be perfect replacement for the Corsa
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:00 pm Got my eye on one of them (long range) or the 5 long range second hand in a few years

Think would be perfect replacement for the Corsa
when buying second hand, is it not a worry that the battery might be knackered?

just relating it to second hand, or older phones/laptops, where the battery life isn't quite as good as when new (I know things have improved with much better battery management, but still must be a concern)?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Still looking at SUVs. What's the latest on second-hand market prices?

Had a Vauxhall Grandland on hire at the weekend which was a nice drive.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:15 am Still looking at SUVs. What's the latest on second-hand market prices?
Not coming down anytime soon, according to my mate who has his own dealership.

Struggling to get stock now too.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:31 am when buying second hand, is it not a worry that the battery might be knackered?

just relating it to second hand, or older phones/laptops, where the battery life isn't quite as good as when new (I know things have improved with much better battery management, but still must be a concern)?
nissan for example do a battery health bar on the screen where you can see the degrading of the battery

modern tech is such that now the batteries are much better managed

my corsa is 45kw usable with 50kw total. it manages the battery so that its not always using the same cells to help reduce issues

also the batteries come with an 8 year warranty so its less of a worry (years varies from car to car)

the MG i will look at will be about 2-3 years old leaving 4-5 years left on their 7 year warranty
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

chigwells finest wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:00 am ive got the MG zs , its great for my needs, however long waiting list atm , and you want the long range model with 270 miles range
My Mrs is getting a petrol MG Zs in September. I'm guessing it will be very similar to yours, how do you find it?
snooperpooper
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:15 am Still looking at SUVs. What's the latest on second-hand market prices?

Had a Vauxhall Grandland on hire at the weekend which was a nice drive.
I know 3 separate Ford Kuga owners (including my parents, but not putting you in that category fella :rofl: ), all absolutely love it, spacious, solid, interior is specked up and great fuel economy, when the battery kicks in it goes forever.

Not sure on prices, but 2 of those 3 lease and are happy.