Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4165 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Shabu »

Back in June Daniel Dubois fought for the WBA Heavyweight Champion (the same belt owned by Usyk but this is the WBA) against Don King's Trevor Bryant. King won the purse bids & Dubois knocked out Bryant to win in Miami.

And surprise, f*cking surprise, Don King still hasn't paid Dubois. The bloke is 91 years old soon, worth over $150 million, and still stiffing fighters out of money just because that's what he's always done :lol:

https://www.boxingscene.com/daniel-dubo ... ht--168068
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Shabu wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:35 pm Interesting fight on the 19th between big punching Vergil Ortiz (who's a very funny weird bloke) of Texas and Michael McKinson of Portsmouth.

Ortiz is 18(18)-0 while Mckinson is 21(2)-0 so it's definitely puncher versus boxer :grin:

Ortiz does have skills though and Mckinson can punch a bit.

Happening this weekend.

If McKinson pulls it off it might well rank with one of the top UK fighter performances in the USA.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Joyce v Parker announced for 24 September. Should be a good test for Joyce.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:18 pm Joyce v Parker announced for 24 September. Should be a good test for Joyce.
50/50 fight for me.

Parker tough & durable with decent skills.

Joyce bigger but I do worry about his age. He'll be 37 by fight night. I know he hasn't had a long, tough career but age does creep up on you.

Great fight though.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Johnny Fisher up soon. He sold 1,000 tickets for a fight up in Sheffield. Only his 6th bout.

I doubt it he'll get to world level (hope I'm wrong) but it should be quite the ride.
Last edited by Shabu on Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Cracking right hand to finish it. Bit of a hasty stoppage but I've seen dozens worse.

Well done Mr Bosh.
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by War Pony »

Romford Bull marches on!
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Is Usyk looking a bit bigger, heavier here?

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

He should. Been almost four years since he last fought at Cruiser. He hasn't had to boil down since then.

One thing is that he'll be 36 next birthday. I know he's an exceptional athlete & levels above Joshua when it comes to natural ability but age does catch up with everybody eventually. Joshua, to have any sort of chance, doesn't need to head hunt as that target won't be there. Just work that body & stop the legs. Force Usyk to stand & fight. Of course, that's still no guarantee of winning as Usyk is a tough b*stard & can rumble when he has to but allowing Usyk to dictate the pace & distance is suicide.

On another note I've been looking through Usyks amateur record. I like looking at the fighter he met & how they ended up as pros.

In 2006 he beat Badou Jack, who beat George Groves & drew with James Degale but got kayoed in one round at Supermiddle
Same year he got stopped by Matt Korobov who got stopped by Irelands Andy Lee (& now Fury trainer) & Chris Eubank Jr
Then lost to Shawn Porter who got beat - at Welter - by Kel Brook & stopped by Terence Crawford, who first won a title at Lightweight against Scotlands Ricky Burns
2007 he lost to Artur Beterbiev, unified Light Heavy Champ who's stopped everyone as a pro. He beat Beterbiev in a rematch four years later, then again in 2012.
2013, outpointed Joe Joyce, who is as big as Joshua.

I'm not saying this for any reason. I'm just a f*cking anorak :lol:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Benn v Eubank III (kind of) is officially on for October 8th.

I am fully expecting Eubank to finish it by the midway point but maybe the lower weight might drain him

https://www.boxingscene.com/conor-benn- ... pv--168221
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Tyson Fury celebrated his 34th birthday today by retiring again. This was his 5th retirement since he beat Dillian Whyte.

Benn Eubank III press conference was today.

Teo Lopez makes his comeback tomorrow in Vegas against decent Mexican Pedro Campas 34(23)-1. Lopez has only fought once in 22 months, and lost that. He should win this within 6 rounds though.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Shabu wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:48 pm Tyson Fury celebrated his 34th birthday today by retiring again. This was his 5th retirement since he beat Dillian Whyte.
:crylol: - He'll be back at some time (probably to beat the winner of the Joshua fight)
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

The WBC have actually accepted Fury's retirement as kosher this time meaning that title will be vacant.

Number One contender is still Deontay Wilder who might be making his comeback in October against Robert Helenius.

Then 2 & 3 are Joe Joyce & Joseph Parker who meet in September. Hopefully the WBC make that fight for the title, possibly with the winner having to meet Wilder.

Both Joyce & Parker have won four fights each since Wilder last won a fight.

If Fury wants to make another comeback after the Usyk Joshua rematch next week then that's something we can worry about then. In the meantime, keep the belt active.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Anyone watching Usyk v Joshua this weekend?

I'd love it if Joshua somehow solved the puzzle but I can't really see it.

And there's a huge amount of people, both in the game & fans on the street, saying "Joshua just needs to jump on him".

Which seems daft & maybe the best strategy all at the same time.

I do think he needs to work the body more. But whether he can suddenly transform himself into Mike McCallum is another matter.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I’ll watch it if a pub has it on. I’m not paying for it. AJ tried to outbox Usyk in the first fight which was suicidal.

Usyk on points.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Usyk looks massive now compared to before.

Will be interesting how that affects his style. We could see a more aggressive version, similar to the final round of the first fight.
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by War Pony »

Shabu wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:24 pm Usyk looks massive now compared to before.

Will be interesting how that affects his style. We could see a more aggressive version, similar to the final round of the first fight.
He come in lighter than the previous fight!!
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

War Pony wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:05 pm He come in lighter than the previous fight!!
1/4 pound heavier, mate.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Joshua is doomed. :ko: :zzz: