Nigel Pearson

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Wilko1304, -DL-, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress

Bobbysgirl
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Nigel Pearson

Post by Bobbysgirl »

“I never comment on referees and I’m not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat" - Ron Atkinson
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

I still don't understand why the Forest defender wasn't sent off for deliberate hand ball when the ball was goal bound. It can't be because the keeper could have saved it as that isn't a rule.
So for me it's the Inconsistent application of the rules that winds me up and I suspect most other fans too.
A lot of the decisions just seem to be made up on the fly.
D C
Has liked: 386 likes
Total likes: 249 likes

Post by D C »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:14 pm You are right of course, what kind of sport where you can sit next to opposition fans without acting like cavemen, drink at your seat because your trusted not to act like a thug and not be herded like cattle by plod, has the right to lecture football

:asleep:
Yes you can do all of these things because the sport is irrelevant which is why about 10 countries in the world take it seriously. As for the rest it’s mostly all outdated classism

Maybe if footballers also had £15k a term educations growing up they’d also learn to bootlick refs but alas
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 732 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Having been to St Helens recently, not sure I agree. Is there a difference between how League and Union treat the ref?
Xabbu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by Xabbu »

It’s quite simple. The referee in charge of the game on the pitch needs to be given the authority to use VAR as and when he thinks it needs to be used in order to verify or disprove his opinion of an incident. You can’t have a higher authority ruling him out on subjective decisions. That is where Rugby is 100% correct. By all means verify offside decisions on goals or off the ball red card incidents but not the sort of decision our goal was ruled out for on Sunday, it was so so subjective.I want to see refs asks to use VAR when they were unsure about what they saw or had a bad view. As for the standard of refereeing, I think that’s a reflection of players and managers determination to cheat in whatever circumstance possible. Close to impossible to control in a free flowing game
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I watched the incident and can sort of understand why he’s annoyed. Luke Freeman certainly does something to Mark Sykes. Whether it’s an arm in the face possibly and then certainly pulls him off the ball. Sykes’ retaliation was a lunge which was a certain red card. Freeman then gets up and and pretty much jumps into him with his body to knock him over. If both were sent off, I doubt there would’ve been many complaints. Can only assume what Freeman did first wasn’t caught by the officials.

In lower division matches some of the red cards given are at times ridiculous. Southam-Hales for Stockport last night was a bit of a joke of a red and they ended up losing the game. Probably gets rescinded on appeal, but doesn’t help change the result.
hammers92
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I can’t take the man seriously, just keep thinking about ostriches in my head..
Robin Banks
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Robin Banks »

I'm sure the FA or whoever will fine him for that as a way of protecting the referee, but IMO that's the wrong way to protect referees. If they really wanted to stop the abuse they would retrospectively fine or ban players based on incidents missed or not dealt with during the game.

Any infringement can be picked up on replays and it would soon show players that they can't completely get away with it. Hefty fines (lets say it goes to charity or a grass roots club in the local area of the opposition) and a One match ban on the reverse fixture would be fair, that would be a much better way of supporting referees and to show trust in their decisions and follow up with punishments, instead of just hiding them away and ignoring the mistakes that happen during a game.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 67 likes

Post by Het-Field »

D C wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:25 pm Yes you can do all of these things because the sport is irrelevant which is why about 10 countries in the world take it seriously. As for the rest it’s mostly all outdated classism

Maybe if footballers also had £15k a term educations growing up they’d also learn to bootlick refs but alas
Go to enough rugby matches and you’ll see it’s not irrelevant to the fans. It’s a minority sport that punches above its weight, and in relative terms is still only in its infancy since the turn to professionalism, which incidentally happened less than 30 years ago. In fact, the die was cast in terms of the restrictive football experience before the turn of professionalism in rugby.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

D C wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:25 pm Yes you can do all of these things because the sport is irrelevant which is why about 10 countries in the world take it seriously. As for the rest it’s mostly all outdated classism

That's a pretty outdated portrait of rugby. I played rugby. I grew up on a council estate. And showing people respect has nothing to do with your social standing.
NWhammer
Has liked: 260 likes
Total likes: 438 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Hammer1966 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:55 pm That's a pretty outdated portrait of rugby. I played rugby. I grew up on a council estate. And showing people respect has nothing to do with your social standing.
Ye spot on there. Rugby is just more respectful all round, probably comes with the requirements of controlled aggression. I’ve played both and I’ve always found an aura of control in rugby referees, something football referees really seem to struggle with imo.

The standard of football refereeing is woeful, wait til you see the blackburn penalty that wasn’t given. I just can’t get my head how it’s allowed to be so poor.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 664 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:09 pm Doesn't happen in Rugby.

Any descent is a yellow card and a sin bin, with the ball moved ten yards towards the offending sides posts.

Captains only speak to the ref and call him "sir".

Refs have mic's and each decision is clear for the crowd to hear whether or not they agree.

Any referred decisions to the TMO is explained what they are looking for.
In Rugby there is also, or was when I was last involved, a vehicle for communicating with the referee's society.
At the lower levels we were also asked to provide wrtten feedback on the performance of the referee. If a referee was marked poorly on similar aspects of the game on a number of occasions they would be given feedback and mentored.

From that interview Pearson would seem to think that the critique is either being ignored or that the mentoring isn't happening, a view I've seen from established posters on here before.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 664 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

D C wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:38 pm Sorry but it doesn’t happen in Rugby simply because the sport doesn’t matter and it’s impossible for players to care enough to get too animated about decisions when they’re playing for nothing and more interested in drinking each others piss
I was never paid to play sport, but noone ever accused me of not caring, and I'm sure I was quite animated on more than one occasion. We still played in leagues and cups so we weren't playing for nothing and even in friendlies we had pride at stake. Much like any other sport really.

I attended comprehensive school and also, in 25 years, never drank anyone's piss, including my own. :blowkiss:
e17
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 527 likes

Post by e17 »

I always find it strange when characters like Pearson somehow fuel a diverted discussion about an entire different sport and its moral code.

Sky Sports News is a good example of why there’s very little comparison to be had. It’s a 24/7 rolling “sports” news channel, but 85% of its viewership and content is completely reliant on football and its mass appeal.

The more discussion, the more analysis of every little nuance there is to be had, the better the audience and the longer it sticks around. This is why the likes of Pearson and Colin get their level of entitlement. On the other side of the coin its also why Mike Dean has his.

There’s no point in comparing any other sport to those involved in elite football. F1 drivers are closer in attitude and audience than rugby players.
stu1
Has liked: 189 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by stu1 »

It’s the getting wrong of obvious decisions on VAR which is completely unacceptable.

Refereeing unaided is no doubt difficult especially with all the shithousery the players are up to. VAR should be the solution but some of the incredibly poor decisions when they get to see 15 replays is not good enough.

That being said, lots of fans, managers and players are so clouded in opinions they slate referees even after a good game.
e17
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 527 likes

Post by e17 »

stu1 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:07 pmIt’s the getting wrong of obvious decisions on VAR which is completely unacceptable.
A few of those (rightly) defending the constant undermining of referees were sadly also all for VAR. I can’t think of anything that’s undermined their authority more in the history of the game.

That’s only in England mind you. It’s all about the “assistant” part elsewhere rather than the “referee”
JohnSissonsWasMyHero

Post by JohnSissonsWasMyHero »

e17 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:15 pm A few of those (rightly) defending the constant undermining of referees were sadly also all for VAR. I can’t think of anything that’s undermined their authority more in the history of the game.

That’s only in England mind you. It’s all about the “assistant” part elsewhere rather than the “referee”
I can't agree with that. As long time NFL fan, who has been over there many times to watch The Raiders, they fully accept* both the authority of the officials and the fact that sometimes the officials get it wrong, hence the "coaches challenge" rule. Also, and in defence of their officials and rugby referees, they are dealing with very much stronger, more bulky and bigger players than the EPL does.

It's not about decision making as much as ethos and respect. A 350lb lineman gets penalised and he just gets on with it. Jack Grealish rolls around like he's been shot when a slight breeze goes near him.

Pearson can be a bit of a knob however.

*Mostly!! The raiders are, traditionally, the most penalised team in the NFL but they, like the rest, rarely question when that are caught.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 275 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:39 pm The more people like Pearson complain about officials, the fewer people take up officiating - and the lower the standards become.
It seems the higher up the "tree" you are as a ref the poorer your relative performances, and yet the more protected you are.

And I think it is this greater level of exposure - with players' overt dissent - that unfortunately leads to the abuse down at grassroots level.

To top it off we have Mike Dean now in charge of VAR... Who said "who said satire is dead"? :D
James P
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by James P »

I don’t have a problem with a manager or player saying that a referee has had a bad game when he clearly has.

Players are human and make mistakes. They get criticised when they do.

Managers are humans and make mistakes. They get criticised when they do.

Referees are humans and they make mistakes. Why shouldn’t they be criticised when they do.

There’s a difference between criticism and abuse. Pearson in that clip didn’t abuse anyone. He simply gave his opinion on what he believed to be poor performance. If what he said was true and the league admitted that three incorrect penalty decisions went against his team in a single game he has every right to be annoyed. Like he says, people’s jobs are reliant on such things. Look at the Forest game thread for how people react to knife edge moments going one way of the other.
hammer etc
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by hammer etc »

Before these managers start complaining they need to sort their own players out. Tell them that to be called professional you have to act professionally. To be regarded as a sportsman you have to act sportingly. There is no way for the money these people are earning that they should act like they do, some players are pathetic.