Need a new car

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: Need a new car

Post by -DL- »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:15 am Still looking at SUVs. What's the latest on second-hand market prices?
S-H wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:17 am Not coming down anytime soon, according to my mate who has his own dealership
There seems to be quite a bit of regional variation at the moment - and values around this way and the surrounds are falling on larger vehicles - those that cost more to run and maintain, and purchase.

This is being reflected by WBAC starting to offer quite a bit less on vehicles than they were even just a month ago. The value of mine, according to them, is a grand less than it was 4 weeks ago - and it's also there or there abouts on parkers Price Guide too, which is what the trade use.

I keep getting spam from dealers I've bought from in the past, and some of the reductions they're giving on 4-5 year old SUVs and larger saloons/hatches (non-premium brands) are quite remarkable.

Smaller, cheap to run cars are still holding strong values - your super-minis up to family sized, such as Focus, Astra, etc. WBAC are quoting more for the wife's 208 Tech Edition than we paid from a main agent in the middle of May.

But back to SUV - find one you like then WIKI it, and see what platform it is built on and what it's related to - remembering that Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi/Dacia all share the same platforms, engines, running gear and switchgear, and the same applies to Vauxhall/Peugeot/Citroen. The Grandland for example, is very strongly related to Citroen C5 AirCross, DS7 CrossBack, and Peugeot 3008/5008 crossovers. You'll find that an almost identical car aside from looks, can be quite a bit cheaper than the other - despite sharing most of the same main components, but looking somewhat different.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:15 am Still looking at SUVs. What's the latest on second-hand market prices?

Had a Vauxhall Grandland on hire at the weekend which was a nice drive.
The other week I'd bought a 2019 Qashqai for 13k (28k milage). Most 3 year old decent spec, relatively low milage SUVs were about 13-17k depending on manufacturer.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Working in the industry for a manufacturer the line since the start of the year was always that prices for used cars should start to fall for in September of this year, it’s too early to tell but it does *seem* to be happening

Many manufacturers including mine are still getting less new stock in than expected at this time though
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

-DL- wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:09 am I keep getting spam from dealers I've bought from in the past........
Sh*t DL, that must fill your spam folder on a daily basis the number of 'dealers' you've dealt with.. :crylol:
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:44 am Sh*t DL, that must fill your spam folder on a daily basis the number of 'dealers' you've dealt with.. :crylol:
Me printing yesterday's off...

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Any Megane owners here? Looking for opinions on the 10-13 plate models.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:40 pm Any Megane owners here? Looking for opinions on the 10-13 plate models.
Had a facelifted Megane III - 2015. The 10-13 plate are exactly the same but have a different grille. Had it two years and 46k miles, and it was faultless.
West Stan

Post by West Stan »

Picking up a new Kia Sportage HEV tomorrow. Been waiting for ages for it (originally due in April!)

But it'll be worth it as its a fantastic car to drive, extremely well spec'd too. I honestly never thought I'd ever, ever buy a Kia but boy have they come a long way.

Already eying up a KIA EV6 full electric for future purchase!
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Bought my newest car ever last week: a French ULEZ-friendly 2009 mini Clubman Cooper S.

Sunroof needs a bit of encouragement and the fuel pump will need replacing soon but it is the danglies: fun to drive and ....6 gears! 6!!! Working AIr con! Bliss!
My first ever car with 5 gears was only in 2009.. a 16 year old MX-5. Before that,I had had asuccession of about 10 real Minis....
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

I posted a while back about upgrading my 2009 Zafira. I’ve started looking again after letting things ride for another 6 months or so.

Not the best with cars and seeking value. I’ve got around £14k to spend.

Can anyone more into cars tell me if this is a decent deal:

https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/invento ... 66966/NONE

Or can I find something better?
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Depends what you are after.

That looks alright enough to me, but best bet is to look on autotrader and do a search on age/milage etc., noting trim levels too.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:00 pm Driving kids to school should be outlawed. Walk or cycle, and if it’s too far, run a school bus.
Normally I would agree, it certainly applies to a people whom live in towns or cities.

We live in a village, people whom live in the village should walk to our village school (and many do) but quite a few kids come from surrounding villages - there is no alternative to driving for many of these. There are buses to take kids to secondary school, it is economical and safe to come down the "main" road through our village, but some of the outlying villages are down lanes that are single track and there are only a few kids coming from them.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Time to change car, and I want to go electric.

Was looking at the Tesla Y (bloke next door has one) but Musk is a twat. Most of the others are styled like Billy Idol's jacket though.

I actually quite liked the Mustang, but it's a bit lame because IT'S NOT A MUSTANG and talks about some kind of mid life crisis.

Comfort over speed for me. Quiet is great. Conservative with a small c. Big enough to put a Marshall amp in the back. Decent range, fast charging. Any thoughts?
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:57 am Any thoughts?
Yeah, get a proper car with an engine. :grin:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:57 am Time to change car, and I want to go electric.

Was looking at the Tesla Y (bloke next door has one) but Musk is a twat. Most of the others are styled like Billy Idol's jacket though.

I actually quite liked the Mustang, but it's a bit lame because IT'S NOT A MUSTANG and talks about some kind of mid life crisis.

Comfort over speed for me. Quiet is great. Conservative with a small c. Big enough to put a Marshall amp in the back. Decent range, fast charging. Any thoughts?
whats your budget?

MG are a very up and coming brand again. Cleaning up by undercutting prices but then the big boys are about

KIA , Hyundai two of the best

VW and skoda

what sort of shape are you looking at?

tesla are a different league tbh , if you can afford them

but there are plenty of options for really good cars that are fantastic drives

if you kit it out right the Skoda enyaq is outstanding

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/eny ... est-review

im looking at the MG 4

https://www.mg.co.uk/new-cars/mg4-ev

but the MG SUV also is a nice option in the flesh , my boss has one very impressed with it

https://www.mg.co.uk/new-cars/mg-zs-ev

MG 5 is the estate one

https://www.mg.co.uk/new-cars/mg5-ev

if you can afford tesla you get some benefits over normal EV. their techs know more about the cars because they are EVs from the ground where as not many techs at normal dealers have been EV trained

they need less servicing because vauxhall etc throw up the costs .. £200 to service my second year and it needed bugger all done

tesla super charge network.. very useful if you get to use that.. recharge faster and more places

they are a different league of battery tech
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Test Drove a new Ford Ranger Raptor yesterday.

A sensible choice for this day and age I feel..

:D
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:57 am Time to change car, and I want to go electric.

My consultant drives one of these.

https://www.polestar.com/uk/polestar-2/

Lovely bit of kit.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

S-H wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:56 am

You jest, but there is a lot of truth in that.

When ICE's are consigned to history, they ain't coming back, so make the most of them whilst you can.

I was brought back from hospital in London last week to Rochester in an EV - Hyundia Kona. As nice as it was, it was totally soulless. If you're a driver (and I appreciate that many people are not, and a car to them is just a means of getting from A to B), stick to ICE for as long as you can - and get something that you want and that you're going to enjoy - 'cos they ain't going to be around forever.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

S-H wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:56 am Test Drove a new Ford Ranger Raptor yesterday.

Just do it dude! :newthumb:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

West Stan wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:32 pm Picking up a new Kia Sportage HEV tomorrow. Been waiting for ages for it (originally due in April!)

But it'll be worth it as its a fantastic car to drive, extremely well spec'd too. I honestly never thought I'd ever, ever buy a Kia but boy have they come a long way.

Already eying up a KIA EV6 full electric for future purchase!
This one?

If I was getting my own vehicle, this is what i'd go for.