Oliver Frey

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 757 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Oliver Frey

Post by Up the Junction »

RIP Oliver Frey. His name and face will be know to few, but if you stepped in a newsagents in the 1980s (and beyond) you'd never be more than a few steps from one of his works.

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1866 likes
Total likes: 2488 likes

Re: Oliver Frey

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Read that earlier, very sad news. An incredible talent and someone whose influence will not be forgotten
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1667 likes
Total likes: 517 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Terrible news. I used to Freelance for Newsfield and had met Oliver (and Rodger) on many occasions in Ludlow for "editorial meetings." A two hour meeting usually ended up with a trip to the boozer and a highly entertaining night out of the sauce.

Fair, honest, hard working and visonary are a few of the words I could use to describe him.

RIP Oliver
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

WHU Independent wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:41 pm RIP Oliver
Seriously? You knew the Crash mob? Bet they were a proper laugh, that lot. What was Lloyd Mangram like? :)
WHU Independent

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:27 am Seriously? You knew the Crash mob? Bet they were a proper laugh, that lot. What was Lloyd Mangram like? :)
Trying to catch me out Dan ? :)

Lloyd was lots of people!

I've had a few articles published in Crash and associated titles, as I said I was a freelance, so worked from home. I really got to know Roger and Oliver when they took up an idea of mine for a magazine and published it. I was co editor with two ex C&VG editors. It lasted about 3/4 years in two versions before the holding company crashed and burned. I used to go up to Ludlow once a month to discuss the mag and how it was going. Great times, probably the best of my life.

I used to love my trips to Ludlow and the nights out - they were a real blast. Oliver and Rodger were real fun. IIRC I even met Franco once. I distinctly remember having a drink with my two co editors and Oliver in his house, whilst Rodger went out "to meet someone", which Oliver explained very calmly and clearly, was code for going out to get a shag in a gay bar. Apparantly Rodger was a very highly sexed person and he had to have those needs satified!!!

Fantastic times.
binary
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by binary »

That last story has cracked me up :crossed:

What was really great was that Oliver illustrated Crash, Amtix and ZZap 64 so even though the computer wars raged across the playgrounds of the UK, his work was loved by everyone. I've been buying the new magazines of all three (plus Zzap Amiga) and it just wouldn't be the same without his distinctive artwork on them all. It was always exciting to see the new cover of the magazines as much as seeing what actually got reviewed. RIP Oliver.

Also really sad to hear that Roger has Motor Neuron Disease. Another man who made such a huge impact on the gaming culture (even though it was just referred to as "being into computers") back then.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

WHU I - cmon what was the magazine name? Mean Machines?
WHU Independent

Dan - In true computer game fashion, I give you this.

You have one of the first initials right, the other, the other is two letters off. :)
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 757 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

WHU Independent wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:20 pmI used to love my trips to Ludlow and the nights out - they were a real blast. Oliver and Rodger were real fun.
I had no idea they were a couple until I read the obits. And discovered the non Crash-related art... :eyes:
WHU Independent wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:15 amYou have one of the first initials right, the other, the other is two letters off. :)
Stumped me. But I was never very good at adventure games.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

You have PMs :)
WHU Independent

PM back mate - I may have been a bit lubricated when I posted my last post so the maths and clue may be slightly out. The PM explains it all :)