The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

ironside58
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by ironside58 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:36 am So if Ashby has told the club he is leaving and has no intention of signing a new deal we should play him anyway? What's the point?

Obviously if it's a wages issue or something else that we can negotiate then we should still be using him.

It's contextual.
Surely the point is another outfield player rather than a spare keeper is potentially more productive plus if the kid gets played and impresses things may change. Though the lure of Wonga at Newcastle may be too big an opportunity.
hammer1975
Has liked: 927 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Deliberately not passed ‘judgment’ via a score yet as find it incredibly difficult this year.

On the plus side - all of the players brought in have a good pedigree and they are all ball players…something West Ham are famed for liking. They all have a bit of fighting spirit about them and will have passed the David Moyes ‘effort’ test. There have been gripes in the background at times (despite the huge success Moyes has brought) about being predictable, negative, giving up possession etc. Well it’s easy to see how these signings are ‘designed’ to change that. We brought in players in the priority positions, the majority of them are a good age and (bar one) could spend more than 5 years in and around the first team if successful. Finally, the amount spent - that demonstrates the intent to progress if nothing else. I’m not convinced about a leap into the top six - recent rule changes (5 subs, wage caps, split of TV revenue) seem to have all favoured the self important six, and they all seem to be getting their **** together at the same time..with the help of VAR. I think the next level is locking in 7-10th, reliable deep cup runs and European football 3 out of 4 seasons realistically. To that end - ‘on paper’ the window looks a very good one.

There are some reasons for caution though. The players aren’t Prem proven (even Cornet only had one season and he was a bit hot and cold, Emerson only proved he wasn’t good enough for Chelsea). Even the best manager will never have 100% success in the transfer market - some WIlL likely fail to be the success we want them to be and that probability is higher for players brought from abroad. Moyes probably feels he reduces that risk by letting them bed in at training etc, but the flip side to that is growing impatience and frustration from the fanbase. There is a lot for the manager to incorporate at the best of times but currently he has high numbers of new personnel and a high amount of change in how he wants us to play. That’s a lot of change in a few short months - in playing styles (including formation and tactics), personalities. higher expectations and I’ve mentioned confidence a lot in my prior posts as I feel it’s low during this change period. There is also a slight feeling of mixed styles in the squad - that could be a benefit in allowing the manager to have a plan A, B and C but it could also cause a bedding in period that is longer than some fans anticipate. It feels to me that the manager wants to move towards a smart flexible formation that can flex between 3 and 4 at the back, and I’m not sure some of our players seem a fit for that and I fully expect to see those players replaced next summer. On that basis - I wonder if Moyes has bitten off more than he could/should have done in one window with so much change. Will the fanbase (and board) have the patience to let him have a transition season where we don’t do well in the cups and finish mid-table if there is the promise of better possession football? I think I would support it but he is taking a bit of a gamble imo.

The league feels a lot more competitive this season - injuries, form and the fixture list have already combined to give us a tough start, not ideal for a new dawn. If I was a manager I’d feel more comfortable introducing new players to a winning team and a positive stadium atmosphere - the irony that the opposite will likely slow down the integration of new players may cause some more criticism for a manager who has worked literal wonders in the past two seasons.

For those that like their maths I’d say that this transfer window has an expected rating for me of about 7. But it’s one of the hardest to predict that I can recall. Two thirds confidence it’ll be a long term 9, one third confidence it’ll turn out to be a 3.
Gazwhu66
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by Gazwhu66 »

I think most were surprised at the amount we ended up spending in this window. Is it possible the club have actually done some forward planning for once with one eye on the new turnover related rules coming in?

Within the next 3 seasons all clubs total outlay ( wages, transfers and agent fees ) will be capped at 70% of turnover on a sliding scale. UEFA are promising hefty punishments for going over budget, whether they can get these punishments to stick is another matter.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... 973786.amp

Apologies if there's already a thread or article about this?
Hindley Hammer
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Hindley Hammer »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:01 pm Ross Barkley has signed for Nice.

And Diego Costa is on a week’s trial at Wolves cos apparently they bought a new striker who’s done his acl.
Costa has had his work permit application refused. Wolves to appeal. Answer in 48 hours.
norse
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1939 likes
Total likes: 4630 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

At least we never got this desperate! :D
thamesideiron
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Snoddys off to Hearts....wish him all the best,top top bloke and a really good talented player..
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

Hindley Hammer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:29 pm Costa has had his work permit application refused. Wolves to appeal. Answer in 48 hours.
How on earth has his work permit been refused? Really strange decision given his pedigree
Hindley Hammer
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Hindley Hammer »

GetUrWangOut wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:34 pm How on earth has his work permit been refused? Really strange decision given his pedigree
He has not qualified enough points through game time or international caps over the qualifying period.

"To earn a permit, in the post-Brexit points system, a player is judged on the quality of the league of their last club, their minutes played and their international appearances.

Costa has not played for Spain since 2018 and left his last club, Brazilian outfit Atletico Mineiro, in January – meaning he has not automatically qualified for a work permit."

"A player needs 15 points to automatically qualify and Costa lands somewhere in the 10-14 points range, meaning Wolves can appeal the decision."
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

From Moyes presser..."Aguerd is out of his boot."

Good news.
Diogenes
Has liked: 428 likes
Total likes: 1131 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:54 pm From Moyes presser..."Aguerd is out of his boot."

Good news.
Crikey, who locked him in there?
Liam
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 206 likes

Post by Liam »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:49 pm Crikey, who locked him in there?
Jack Wilshire again.....
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

But is he on the grass yet?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Forest have signed there 1204th player - ex spurs right back serge aurier. Just wondered if we have considered any free agents?
El brooko79
Has liked: 2952 likes
Total likes: 1965 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Georgee Paris wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:05 pm Forest have signed there 1204th player - ex spurs right back serge aurier. Just wondered if we have considered any free agents?
Who would you want?
DublinDave
Has liked: 2684 likes
Total likes: 1736 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Vic_Watson wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:16 pm But is he on the grass yet?
CBD would be good for his recovery...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 747 likes
Total likes: 3415 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

And that wraps up yet another transfer window thread, KUMB's most read yet. Thank you to everyone who participated, we'll see you all again soon for the winter transfer thread!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4958 likes

The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by -DL- »

Signings:

✍ Nayef Aguerd Morocco (Defender) from Rennes £28 million - 5 year contract

✍ Alphonse Areola France (Goal Keeper) from PSG £8 million - 5 year contract

✍ Patrick Kelly Ireland (Midfielder) from Coleraine £Unknown - 3 year contract

✍ Flynn Downes England (Midfielder) from Swansea City £9 million - 5 year contract

✍ Gianluca Scamacca Italy (Striker) from Sassuolo £35.5 million - 5 year contract

✍ Maxwel Cornet Ivory Coast (Forward/LWB) from Burnley £17.5 million - 5 year contract

✍ Thilo Kehrer Germany (Defender) from PSG c£10-15 million - 4 year contract

✍ Emerson Palmieri Italy (Defender) from Chelsea c£12-15 million - 4 year contract

✍ Lucas Paqueta Brazil (MF) from Olympique Lyonnaise £CLUB RECORD FEE - 5 year contract

Extensions:

✍ Lukasz Fabianski Poland (GK) - 1 year (2023)

✍ Nathan Trott England (GK) - 2 years (2024)

✍ Angelo Ogbonna Italy (DF) - 1 year (2023)

Academy Graduates:

✍ Archie Woods, Michael Forbes, Jacob Knightbridge, Will Greenidge, Regan Clayton, Kaelen Casey, George Earthy and Junior Robinson

Coaching Staff:

✍ Mark Warburton

Released/Outgoings

👋 Mark Noble England (MF) - Retired

👋 Ryan Fredericks England (RB) - Contract Expired

👋 Andrei Yarmalenko Ukraine (FW) - Contract Expired

👋 David Martin England (GK) - Contract Expired

👋 Fuka-Arthur Masuaku Kawela DR Congo (LB/LW) - to Beşiktaş - 1 year loan

👋 Issa Diop France (CB) - to Fulham - £15 million - 5 year contract

👋 Nikola Vlašić Croatia (FW) - to Torino - 1 year loan with option to buy

👋 Sonny Perkins England (FW) - to Leeds United - £Tribunal - 3 year contract

👋 Aji Alese England (CB) - to Sunderland £Undisclosed - 3 year contract

👋 Joseph Anang Ghana (GK) - to Derby County - 1 year loan

👋 Nathan Trott England (GK) - to Vejle Boldklub - 1 year loan

👋 Mipo Odubeko Ireland (ST) - to Port Vale - 1 year loan

👋 Dan Chesters England (MF) - to Colchester United - Loan

👋 Armstrong Okoflex England (MF) - to Swansea City - 1 year loan

👋 Emmanuel Longelo England (DF) - to Birmingham City - 1 year loan

👋 Thierry Nevers England (FW) - to Newport County - loan

👋 Gonçalo Cardoso Portugal (DF) to CS Maritimo - Permanent deal, no details published at time of writing

👋 Development Squad - Nathan Holland, Jayden Fevrier, Bernardo Rosa, Amadou Diallo, Ossama Ashley, Isaac Evans

👋 Coaching Staff - Stuart Pearce