Scottish Independence

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Scottish Independence

Post by We_are_BML »

Has the Scottish Independence movement taken a bit of a bashing the last couple of weeks with the death of the Queen and the subsequent events?

Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere.
jastons
Has liked: 886 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Re: Scottish Independence

Post by jastons »

We_are_BML wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:18 pm Has the Scottish Independence movement taken a bit of a bashing the last couple of weeks with the death of the Queen and the subsequent events?

Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere.
I don't think so. I live in the West of Scotland, work in tbe East end of Glasgow. People are either anti monarchy and pro independence or pro monarchy and pro union. Very few are undecided. I know people who live in some of the most deprived areas of the country yet they vote Conservative because it is a vote against SNP.
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

Looks like Mary Doll has chucked the towel in
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Lets hear it for JK Rowling :scarfer:
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Has Tomos returned yet?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Mary Doll resigns.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64647907

I've not double checked, but I'm pretty sure she's just taken Jacinda Ardern's resignation speech and changed the names.

My money is on her quitting because she's realised that she's missed her chance for Indy Ref 2: Scottish Boogaloo, and with the Tories on the wain and Labour resurgent is expecting the SNP to lose ground at the next GE, and so wants to go out at the high point.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

As a UK unionist I can never agree with the basic policy she espoused, but I can admire a politician who's achieved so much for her party and advanced her primary aim along the road. A good communicator, a formidable opponent and a wily strategist, has to be said she would have made a good PM for the UK if she'd been so inclined, certainly outshone that cretin we had in the job during the COVID pandemic.

SNP seem to be at the start of a downward curve just now, I wonder if this has any influence on her decision, and you do wonder how it will play out for them and the wider seccessionist movement in the medium term. There doesn't seem to be an obvious candidate for replacement.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Sturgeon has been a remarkably successful politician in terms of how long she’s remained popular with the Scottish voters.

Though I disagree very heavily with the gender reforms they’ve brought through, she’s a politician of integrity and honesty.

Perhaps she knows the SNP’s time is coming to an end but she’s right to point out that the job takes everything out of you, (if you intend on doing it properly).
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

hammers92 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:56 pmshe’s a politician of integrity and honesty.
See my post above - I don't think you can say that with certainty.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Their health service underperforms compared to ours (England) and she locked them down in December 2021 when we didn't . Chuck in the absolute mess with Self-ID and they don't seem to have a path to independence.
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

EvilC wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:00 pm See my post above - I don't think you can say that with certainty.
With the greatest of respect mate, I’ll need something a bit more believable than the Scottish Daily Express.

I think she’s always spoken well on various issues, hasn’t resorted to mud slinging and principled. I would imagine the SNP’s loss will end up being Labour’s win up there.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

hammers92 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:07 pm With the greatest of respect mate, I’ll need something a bit more believable than the Scottish Daily Express.

I think she’s always spoken well on various issues, hasn’t resorted to mud slinging and principled. I would imagine the SNP’s loss will end up being Labour’s win up there.
The story is all over the press, here's The Times. The conflict of interest with her and her husband as FM and CEO of the party is glaringly obvious, it is terrible that it has been allowed to happen and continue.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/snp- ... -cf73jkdzq

That she has spoken well doesn't equate to being a politician of honesty and integrity. As we are about to find out.
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

EvilC wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:22 pm The story is all over the press, here's The Times. The conflict of interest with her and her husband as FM and CEO of the party is glaringly obvious, it is terrible that it has been allowed to happen and continue.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/snp- ... -cf73jkdzq

That she has spoken well doesn't equate to being a politician of honesty and integrity. As we are about to find out.
Let’s see what happens, I’ll retract what I said if any of that is proven.

Mind you, sounds like a normal day as a Tory MP.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

hammers92 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:29 pm Let’s see what happens, I’ll retract what I said if any of that is proven.

Mind you, sounds like a normal day as a Tory MP.
It does, but then being equal to or slightly better than prevailing Conservative standards isn't a particularly high bar to clear.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Rebel without a clue.

Big win for Labour her going mind you.
delbert
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:23 pm Rebel without a clue.

Big win for Labour her going mind you.
Poor Kier though, the day he has announcements to make she comes out with her stuff pushing him onto the toilet pages......
Last edited by delbert on Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

delbert wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:27 pm Poor Kier though, the day he has announcements to make she comes out with pushing him onto the toilet pages......
I think Sir Keir will be quite alright without your sympathy Delbs, quite how you will get through a minimum of 5 years of a Labour Government though.....
delbert
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:29 pm I think Sir Keir will be quite alright without your sympathy Delbs, quite how you will get through a minimum of 5 years of a Labour Government though.....
I dare say I'll manage, it's a brighter prospect without the Corbyn albatross, now he just has to cull off his disciples.......
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

If 40-45% of Scots define themselves and their vote by independence they have no reason to go anywhere other than a pro-independence party. That's SNP, Green or Alba.