West Ham Utd 2-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers (1/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Wolverhampton Wanderers: match thread

Post by hammerman11 »

:kumb: doubt I will make it unless I drive up which I don't fancy
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

Is the Underground running that day?
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ Yes - at the moment! Overground will be affected though.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

the full game highlights, any ideas when they go up after the game is over please ?

am out that morning and my mate here is a Wolves fan and would like to get together with him to watch it if we can stay away from the results..

cheers
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Lovejoy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:29 am Is Antonio still doing the self indulgent Jamaica thing?, ridiculous.
Let’s hope he gets some time on the bench over the next few games to recover from the travel.

A run of games for Scammaca please Moyes, starting with this one.

No more crap about the new players needing to get used to us.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:05 pm the full game highlights, any ideas when they go up after the game is over please ?

am out that morning and my mate here is a Wolves fan and would like to get together with him to watch it if we can stay away from the results..

cheers
I tried similar years ago, went out for a night out and got the missus to record us playing on match of the day on the video recorder ( remember them )

Anyway I managed to not hear the result all evening and got home just as the wife was heading up to bed.

I asked her if she had remembered to record the westham game on MOTD, she said yes of course I did.

Then as I settled down in front of the TV chinese takeaway at the ready she shouts down the stairs

" just don't expect to see any goals in it " :shock: :angryred:
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:25 am Without knowing the house he grew up in I don't think we could possibly comment.

I thought it was strange to accept the call up initially but I know plenty families who lived in England but are fiercely patriotic to their heritage. Maybe Antonio is the same.
Dito, and there's nothing wrong with that.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

Antonio is too old for it now. Needs to concentrate on WH to prolong his career
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Fabianski

Kehrer Ogbonna Dawson Johnson

Rice Fornals

Antonio Paqueta Benrahma

Scamacca

Dawson's being managed very carefully but I would stick him in alongside Ogbonna as he's a natural leader and adds to our set piece threat.
Kehrer in for Coufal as he is a better passer of the ball.
Johnson in for Cresswell as I think Cresswell is now in the late autumn of his career.
Fornals in for an out-of-sorts Soucek as he works tirelessly and will hopefully be able to play some defence-splitting passes from deep.
Benrahma is a must as he has been our most likely to score or create.

I'll now sit back and wait to be told I'm pissed and/or mentally challenged.

:crest:
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

I think apart from Zouma and Kehrer, you could make a case for dropping/changing any of the rest of the players, they have been average/poor collectively imo. Despite the want/need for a first choice striker, I don't think Antonio or Scamacca have done anything much to definitely warrant a starting place, though the service has been non existent really. Only Cornet and Benhrama definitely deserve a starting place out of our attacker's imo, whether Moyes agrees remains to be seen.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm really struggling to look beyond a midfield of 3 of Paqueta, Rice, Fornals. They just seem so ideally suited to the role. The good thing is, you can play that same trio regardless of whether you're playing 4-3-3 or a slightly more defensive 3-5-2. If we're really going to continue the obsession with sitting deep and counter attacking then you want the best midfielders possible at actually triggering those counter attacks.

The front three should all be capable of making clever runs and they should not be dropping so deep to help with defensive duties. There's no point winning the ball back deep and counter attacking when the player you want to release the ball to is still stuck in our own third doing defensive work. They need to stay in the oppositions half and should always be moving intelligently, finding space, and ready to receive that incisive pass.

This is what I'd like to start seeing against Wolves. We need to attack, create chances, and carve out good scoring opportunities a lot more effectively than we have been doing.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

I would like to start antonio but due to his game being on a tuesday night and flights back etc I would expect him to be on the bench.

fabianski
johnson dawson zouma emerson
rice downes paqueta
bowen scamacca cornet

subs areola coufal kehrer cresswell soucek lanzini antonio benrahma fornals
nice strong bench

1-0 west ham
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Post by ironilunga »

hammerman11 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:23 am fabianski
johnson dawson zouma emerson
rice downes paqueta
bowen scamacca cornet
Those fullbacks are a worry H11. I don’t think Emerson has done enough to oust Cresswell in a back four. On the other side I would be very disappointed to see Ben Johnson. Let’s not forget that we are at home and need three points. Johnson’s offensive deficiencies are not required in this game. Honestly, I’m not exactly sure where Johnson fits in full stop…
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

Centre Half wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:33 pm Let’s hope he gets some time on the bench over the next few games to recover from the travel.

A run of games for Scammaca please Moyes, starting with this one.

No more crap about the new players needing to get used to us.

They should both be playing
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:49 pm If we're really going to continue the obsession with sitting deep and counter attacking then you want the best midfielders possible at actually triggering those counter attacks.

The front three should all be capable of making clever runs and they should not be dropping so deep to help with defensive duties. There's no point winning the ball back deep and counter attacking when the player you want to release the ball to is still stuck in our own third doing defensive work. They need to stay in the oppositions half and should always be moving intelligently, finding space, and ready to receive that incisive pass.

This is what I'd like to start seeing against Wolves. We need to attack, create chances, and carve out good scoring opportunities a lot more effectively than we have been doing.
Absolutely right Burnley, I’d even throw Downes and Coventry into the pot. At the moment the forwards are not getting ‘serviced’ and transition is slow so this match is an ideal time to try to change it up a gear. Moyes obsession with a sparse, defensive midfield with wingbacks clearly doesn’t favour the central attack and quick penetration. If the system could be a little less one dimensional and predictable, it only requires a change of attitude in midfield imo.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

Fullbacks are a worry but coufal has been poor and can't play every game. If Johnson not fit then kehrer at RB maybe .
Coventry isn't ready for PL . If we are dropping soucek then downes deserves a go. Best passer in championship and played well in Europe last game.
Moyes if he does drop soucek will play lanzini which would leave dec doing all the defensive work if paq plays as well.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

hammerman11 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:19 am Fullbacks are a worry but coufal has been poor and can't play every game. If Johnson not fit then kehrer at RB maybe .
Coventry isn't ready for PL . If we are dropping soucek then downes deserves a go. Best passer in championship and played well in Europe last game.
Moyes if he does drop soucek will play lanzini which would leave dec doing all the defensive work if paq plays as well.
Right back is a worry. To be honest, after his performance fo the World X1 in that Charity match at the LS back in June, I would still take Cafu now
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1319 likes
Total likes: 776 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

ageing hammer wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:35 pm Then as I settled down in front of the TV chinese takeaway at the ready she shouts down the stairs

" just don't expect to see any goals in it " :shock: :angryred:
This reminds me of when I was about 12 and my dad came home having videoed the 1982 Tottenham v QPR final, which finished 1-1 (in the days of replays). The first thing he said as he came through the door was, "don't tell me who won", to which my cocky best friend immediately replied, "that will be easy because nobody did". Dad not best pleased.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1319 likes
Total likes: 776 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

We should start:

Fabianski

Coufal
Kehrer
Zouma
Cresswell

Rice
Fornals
Paqueta

Bowen
Antonio
Scamacca
Bubbles Murray
Location: 200 miles due north of Mecca ( Bingo Hall, Barking Road )
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Bubbles Murray »

clawhammer wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:55 pm Is the Underground running that day?
South Eastern saying NO TRAINS running next Saturday, so no Javelin from St Pancras.