Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

shifty
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Re: Our new Sporting Director

Post by shifty »

SullySpecial wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:40 pm GREAT decision. Say what you like about his on-field performances over the last few years, but no-one can deny he’s the heartbeat of our club. Shame it didn’t happen over the summer, and that we have to wait until January.
Think the key part of the club statement is that he starts officially in January '23, likely he'll be "unofficially" involved as of now IMO
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

I think Noble will have a positive influence overall.
I wonder if in time Moyes will feel the pressure of having a legend hanging around the club like a bad smell.

David Moyes never really had a chance at Man Utd knowing Fergie always had the ear of the players.

This will go either well for Moyes or it wont

Whatever happens I think the appointment of Noble is the start of the clubs future planning without Moyes, whether that be this year or in a few years time

We all know Noble talks West Ham in the same way we do.
It matters to him
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

The important thing about Noble's appointment is that he is someone who will well and truly have the club's and fans' nterests at heart and not make any decision purely to further his own standings.

G&S came in stating how they are fans, custodians of the club etc but in reality wanted to make a fortune off of it and have devalued a lot of the stuff that the club embodied

Mark is the antithesis to that. He never forgot his roots and always came across as someone you'd sit down and have a pint with in your local. From anecdotes and the recent documentary he made time for everyone at the club. He was first and foremost a west ham fan, getting to live the dream of captaining our club on behalf of us. Look at the last words that he said at the end of his last home game: "I hope I've done you proud". That's what he will bring to the club, that love and doing everything he can to help it succeed on the pitch and off
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Skandi Brudson wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:16 am Imagine after a presentation on their role by, say, the Milan Sporting director someone asks Noble what he does … “I meet new players at the airport and crack a few jokes!”
Is he as qualified as Carlton Cole for this particular role?
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I would suggest this was in the bag when Mark retired.

The six months family time would be in line with this and there was no urgency as the situation hadn't yet deteriorated.

I guess it is being announced now to lighten the gloom a little.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1081 likes
Total likes: 1386 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

There are likely to be very few people who know the club better than he does and none of whom who could do a job like this.

I didn't want to see him in a role that involved him being in and around the dressing room too much because it would impact Rice's ability to grow into the captains role, however this job sounds a bit more distant from that so is perfect. It will be fascinating to understand how much decision making he will have but he can only be a good influence around the club.

Just the positivity we need right now.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

irving boleyn wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:29 pm I would suggest this was in the bag when Mark retired.

The six months family time would be in line with this and there was no urgency as the situation hadn't yet deteriorated.

I guess it is being announced now to lighten the gloom a little.
Nail on the head I reckon
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Yet another board f*** up

the bloke is Mr West Ham, but seriously is he fit to act in the broad spectrum of the job spec we are led to believe he has on his shoulders?

Have him act as the buffer between Moyes and the board but more importantly use him to bring quality players in, the role is too wide, again the board doing things on the cheap.
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2051 likes

Post by Shabu »

westlondonhammer wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:42 pm There are likely to be very few people who know the club better than he does and none of whom who could do a job like this.
Half the posters on here think they could :twisted:
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

So what is Mark responsible in his new role?

Anyone see the job description? :grin:
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 659 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

If he just becomes an ambassador and mentor to some of the players then that's fine.

I love Nobes, but if his role is anything else, then I worry.

He has no international experience, is a one club player with limited European experience and didn't win anything.

So, I hope its more holistic than technical.

Great to have him back though
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:19 pm If he just becomes an ambassador and mentor to some of the players then that's fine.

I love Nobes, but if his role is anything else, then I worry.

He has no international experience, is a one club player with limited European experience and didn't win anything.

So, I hope its more holistic than technical.

Great to have him back though
Exactly - another board stooge

Nobody could seriously argue the bloke is up to the task. Its like asking a binman to run a department store.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3020 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

pezza20 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:22 pm Exactly - another board stooge

Nobody could seriously argue the bloke is up to the task. Its like asking a binman to run a department store.
Personally think it's the manager that wants him involved and think he can contribute to the club.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

pezza20 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:22 pm Exactly - another board stooge

Yeah, but a good bin man though
Take It to the Limit
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Take It to the Limit »

Hoping for the best.
Just hope he’s not going to end up a whipping boy. If he doesn’t like what’s going on, I’d expect him to Chuck it in and then we’ll know. If he stays, I’ll trust his judgement.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3190 likes
Total likes: 2329 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

pezza20 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:22 pm Nobody could seriously argue the bloke is up to the task. Its like asking a binman to run a department store.
What is the task then?

According to the website, Noble will be providing "input, advice and assistance" on "Academy development, player recruitment, and player and staff wellbeing", which seems reasonable enough to me. Not a Sporting Director role perhaps, but I reckon we can forgive a bit of job title inflation under the circumstances.

If you know otherwise though, then do say so, because otherwise it just reads like you being a prick for the sake of it.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 659 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Re: Our new Sporting Director

Post by Vic_Watson »

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:09 pm That picture is very misleading. As far as I know it is a club rule that every new member off staff has to do a crossed Hammers sign and say into the camera.
Come on you irons.
And sit in a kind of WHU Santa's grotto looking moody.
Has liked: 4551 likes
Total likes: 1539 likes

Post by Sticky »

Just had a little watch of his video regarding the new role on the o/s and it's got me buzzing.

He mentions the staff behind the players - and getting that right. It's clear that cares about every single person at the club, so you know it's in safe hands.

I believe he had a vision and that he is an even brighter person than most would give him credit for.

Him and Moyes. I think we'll be alright y'know. 👍🏻
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

Very disappointed by the reaction of some on here. Feel people are getting too hung up on the job title. Having the bloke involved again is a massive positive for me