The Labour Party Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Re: Next Labour Leader

Post by MB »

sendô wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:56 pm Oh of that I have no doubt, and frankly it's a fundamental flaw in the system we call democracy.
In your opinion of course. I tend to think that if both major parties agree on something then it is probably fairly representative of general public opinion. If it wasn't then one or other would be hitching their wagon to it.

The public gets what the public wants...
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

sendô wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:56 pm Yes, whilst the debt and cost to service it grow at the same rate. We're going to add £100bn onto the national debt in the hope that pensions earn a little bit of money so that we're not all destitute in our old age.
What's your suggestions then, mate? We're adding £100 billion to our national debt so people don't freeze or go hungry for the next couple of winters.

Feel free to answer in the Energy or Truss thread, as I'm struggling to see why this is relevant to this thread.

EDIT 17:30: Actually, you know what - at this exact moment in time, it doesn't even sit right with me to get involved in this. Just doesn't feel appropriate.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Thought Starmer spoke really well in the Commons today, and in his immediate response yesterday, both quite moving and eloquent speeches. He's well suited to the statesman role.
MB

Post by MB »

Junco Partner wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:49 pm Thought Starmer spoke really well in the Commons today, and in his immediate response yesterday, both quite moving and eloquent speeches. He's well suited to the statesman role.
To see heart felt emotion from him was good. You expect him to be a good speaker, but that was real.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

MB wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:27 pm To see heart felt emotion from him was good. You expect him to be a good speaker, but that was real.
He must have had some coaching. He usually comes across as a bit of an android - like May or Truss.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Starmer’s legal career would surely see vast experience at speaking professionally?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

This made me smile this morning.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/l ... a5dd4ce15a

"Zarah Sultana, MP for Coventry South, was on her way to Leeds for a campaign rally against the cost of living crisis when her train was delayed just north of London.

Posting a picture of herself looking upset at 7.59pm on Tuesday, she described her situation as "another reminder to bring rail into public ownership".

Yes, that will be publicly owned LNER, with delays caused by overhead line damage, the responsibility of which are of the publicly owned Network Rail.

Too hasty in making a soundbite, without sticking brain in to gear.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

At least she wasn't forced to sit on the floor I guess.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:45 am At least she wasn't forced to sit on the floor I guess.
Absolutely ram packed.
MB

Post by MB »

Appreciate it isn’t campaigning season, but this feels like an own goal when even people benefiting are asking why it happened:

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

So the story is that Labour haven't committed to anything a day after the mini budget?

Breathtaking journalism there.
MB

Post by MB »

sendô wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:23 am So the story is that Labour haven't committed to anything a day after the mini budget?

Breathtaking journalism there.
Wouldn't you expect them to openly condemn a tax cut for the very rich straightaway rather than waiting to see polling data?
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Be interesting to see those polls in a few days. Some Tory MPs are shell shocked let alone some supporters.

I heard some tory supporters on here now better off but uncomfortable with Truss budget.

I dont think they would defect to labour though but who knows?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

MB wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:33 am Wouldn't you expect them to openly condemn a tax cut for the very rich straightaway rather than waiting to see polling data?
It strikes me that no matter what the Tories do, Labour will get attacked. Corbyn was all over the "tax the rich" strategy and the electorate promptly voted blue in a landslide.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Yeah that was why Corbyn didn't win, he wanted to tax the rich.
MB

Post by MB »

sendô wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:40 am It strikes me that no matter what the Tories do, Labour will get attacked. Corbyn was all over the "tax the rich" strategy and the electorate promptly voted blue in a landslide.
So expecting Labour to stand for their own principles is attacking them? They really are a party of snowflakes if that is true.

Starmer will have to come down from the fence at some point and actually state what he and his party stand for. Seems on the controversial stuff he is happy for the government back benchers to be the opposition!

I say all of the above as someone who'd love an excuse to vote Labour again. Just give me something I can get behind.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

MB wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:38 pm
(a)Starmer will have to come down from the fence at some point and actually state what he and his party stand for.
(b)Seems on the controversial stuff he is happy for the government back benchers to be the opposition!
(a)Yes he will.
(b) Why wouldn't he ?

To be fair in 12 months time we''ll be well aware if the current government are correct and things are falling into place, or they're wrong and things continue to fall apart, Starmer can then make his proclamations accordingly.
MB

Post by MB »

A) he better not leave it too long.

B) because he is supposed to be the leader of the opposition which means more than the odd one liner on a Wednesday.

We are not them may win the next election but the country deserves more and I wait to be convinced there is any substance.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Didn't Johnson get elected on a relentless stream of one liners? :winker:

I do understand your point MB but there's still probably quite some way to go and for me at least, albeit a Labour voter, It's my opinion that until that time is close it's the government of the day's policies that should be under scrutiny and not the oppositions.

I'll admit to being a 'hard core' Labour voter, and would find it very difficult to vote Tory, as I suspect a lot of Tory voters would not vote Labour.
Clearly and fortunately there are a large number who will change their vote at each election and I'm not so sure it's time to start appealing to those when the government appear to be alienating so many.

Time will tell
:newthumb:
MB

Post by MB »

Fair enough mate. Like Moyes' tactics during the first half, I understand why Starmer is doing what he is doing I just find it a tad cautious when he could have a little go.

I just think the special fiscal operation is the perfect opportunity to have a little go. Doesn't need to be a full on campaign but just have a little snipe while Truss is fresh in office.

I'm a protest voter (Lib Dem) as both the Conservative and Labour candidates were unhinged loons last time around. Possible neither are up next time around so we will see.