England Squad

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Wilko1304, -DL-, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress

hammers92
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Re: England Squad

Post by hammers92 »

I’d suggest that some of you just don’t watch it on Monday. There’s other things to do with your life.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 489 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

hammers92 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:00 pm I’d suggest that some of you just don’t watch it on Monday. There’s other things to do with your life.
It will be interesting to see how both managers approach the game as it is literally meaningless at this point.

Nothing to play for for either side, will it be the same old or will the likes of Toney and Bowen get a chance.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 633 likes
Total likes: 942 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

D C wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:50 pm The Nations League is nothing to care about, no more important than some pre-season ‘cup’ in Asia the big European teams play in. The fact most of the best teams treat it like a friendlies only confirms that. The concern is because it’s another dire performance two games before it really matters

Some good has come of it though as Bellingham has shown he should be a starter and James and Saka have shown they shouldn’t be
This is exactly what some of us said about West Ham's preseason but were told it didn't matter and we'd be fine when it counted. I fear England will be the same.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 482 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Vic_Watson wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:55 pm So that's okay then.
More about that it's more about nuances and some things have to start clicking during tournaments. International football nowadays is different to club football. It's much more about momentum and how to deal with limitations and/or getting a group of players 'click' at the right time. Southgate has delivered in that regard during the last two tournaments. Expectations have climbed through the roof because of that.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 201 likes
Total likes: 283 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:05 pm It will be interesting to see how both managers approach the game as it is literally meaningless at this point.

Nothing to play for for either side, will it be the same old or will the likes of Toney and Bowen get a chance.
Toney surely has to play. Why pick him and bench him? Jarrod hardly deserves a squad place let alone a cap.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 78 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

D C wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:50 pm The Nations League is nothing to care about, no more important than some pre-season ‘cup’ in Asia the big European teams play in. The fact most of the best teams treat it like a friendlies only confirms that. The concern is because it’s another dire performance two games before it really matters

Some good has come of it though as Bellingham has shown he should be a starter and James and Saka have shown they shouldn’t be
It is a myth that the best teams treat it like friendlies. They don't.
The strength of line ups is much higher than friendlies. The final last time out was Frwnce v Belgium
A couple of the bigger teams have taken their eye of the prize this time round, for sure, but that is because the world cup is upon us

Having said that, all of the other 'best' nations took it seriously enough not to get relegated

Looks like the final 4 tournament is going to be:

Hungary or Italy
Netherlands
Croatia or Denmark
Spain or Portugal

I expect all will want to win thr trophy next summer, in the same way France did a couple of years ago and Portugal before that...and in the same way we want to win the Conference League
El brooko79
Has liked: 1051 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:06 pm More about that it's more about nuances and some things have to start clicking during tournaments. International football nowadays is different to club football. It's much more about momentum and how to deal with limitations and/or getting a group of players 'click' at the right time. Southgate has delivered in that regard during the last two tournaments. Expectations have climbed through the roof because of that.
Not for me tbh. I thought we were pretty poor in the last 2 tournaments and the fine line scraped us though with a bit of luck. That's fine you need it. But when you fortune runs out some degree of quality needs to take over. There is none.

We have gone backwards to a point that we have scored one goal in 5 Nations League games and that was a penalty.
The reason is we are negative, incohesive and over cautious. No pattern or fluidity to our play.
Bubbles Fortuna

Vic_Watson wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:10 pm Toney surely has to play. Why pick him and bench him? Jarrod hardly deserves a squad place let alone a cap.
He didn't even bench him :lol:
DusseldorfHammer

El brooko79 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:18 pm The reason is we are negative, incohesive and over cautious. No pattern or fluidity to our play.
Might be a structual problem in English football. There's still a lack in numbers of quality in deep sitting playmakers, you often times need in international football. Rice/Bellingham/Phillips sounds nice on paper, but I still think JWP would make more sense, even with his lack of experience at international level.
floydie_hammer
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by floydie_hammer »

So sticking to 5 at the back even though it doesn't deliver clean sheets, playing a midfielder as lwb when they aren't suited to it, complaints around subs (or lack of) as well as feeling that team is set up to be too negative and just looking to nick a goal from a set piece.

Doesn't make great reading but I think Moyes has earned the right to turn it around.....oh wait, sorry. Wrong thread
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:02 pm Might be a structual problem in English football. There's still a lack in numbers of quality in deep sitting playmakers, you often times need in international football. Rice/Bellingham/Phillips sounds nice on paper, but I still think JWP would make more sense, even with his lack of experience at international level.
Think its fair to say premier league football is different from international and even some of the so called lesser national teams are naturally more comfortable I'm possesion.
Billydinho
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 240 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Surely no one still think Southgate should be in charge?

Most talented squad we’ve had in generations and he plays a right winger at left wing back, a right back at centre half and persevered with an absolute mess of a shape because of his fear of conceding despite us conceding every game.

This will be yet another wasted generation of players.
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

Billydinho wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:02 pm Surely no one still think Southgate should be in charge?

Most talented squad we’ve had in generations and he plays a right winger at left wing back, a right back at centre half and persevered with an absolute mess of a shape because of his fear of conceding despite us conceding every game.

This will be yet another wasted generation of players.
It's too late now to change it for this WC imo.
Just need to hope he sees it, tries to be a bit more positive, we get a bit of luck and the players step up.
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

I also don’t think it helps that nobody is in form (aside from a couple of people). The majority of the squad have had a rubbish few months.

Southgate isn’t helping himself I’ll happily admit that. If he goes, it’ll be Frank Lampard. He was favourite for the job if the Euros went wrong and I can see the FA looking at him again after Qatar.

The issue is that nobody worth their salt wants the job. International football is seen as the graveyard of football. Replacing Southgate will end up in us repeating the same mistakes.

You’re judged every 2 years, and we qualify for tournaments very easily. Judgement should be reserved until we know how well we’ve done at the World Cup. However, even if we win it, his time is done. It’s been a very good 6 years, that’s enough for him to walk away with his head held high.
Billydinho
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 240 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Why is it? We’ve got 6 weeks, new manager bounce might be good.

I’ve said for a while that I think we’ll be the shock in the group stages that’ll get knocked out. The Welsh and the US will treat us as a cup final and I don’t think we’ll win either and will definitely lose one.

Even if we did make it out the group we’ll get dumped out by someone in the last 16.

So, in summary, how much worse could an immediate replacement be?
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

Billydinho wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:18 pm So, in summary, how much worse could an immediate replacement be?
Name someone who will take the job. Tuchel will be getting another big club soon enough and Pochettino isn’t going to be interested.

It’ll be a choice between Lampard/Gerrard and Dyche. Howe isn’t leaving Newcastle with the backing he’s got behind him.
DusseldorfHammer

It won't be Lampard, Gerrard or Dyche.

Once Southgate leaves, it's going to be one who has worked inside the current setup around St. George's Park.

Bubbles Fortuna

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:38 pm It won't be Lampard, Gerrard or Dyche.

Once Southgate leaves, it's going to be one who has worked inside the current setup around St. George's Park.

Wouldn't be a huge surprise. Things aren't working out with Forest at the moment and he's won a trophy with England and some of these players.
DusseldorfHammer

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:41 pm Wouldn't be a huge surprise. Things aren't working out with Forest at the moment and he's won a trophy with England and some of these players.
Worked wonders to get Forest under the current lunatic of an owner up to the PL after taking the over 1/5 of the season when they were bottom of the league. Another difficult task now to integrate 20ish new player while being in instant need to get results.

Cooper would be a very good choice, as he has worked with sone of England's current and future key players before.
Hermit_Road
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Hermit_Road »

Sorry if it's the wrong place/thread, but it is just an England thread and doesn't mention or dictate which age group. However, reading and looking at this as well as other Youth players who have left and/or trying to push for a move, I just wonder why our Academy players don't appear to be so loyal nowadays. Maybe Agents, "Tapping up" illegally or whatever, but I did think at the time it was either a mistake and/or bad management that allowed Perkins to leave so easily!
https://www.hammers.news/international/ ... under-19s/