The Physical Health Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Re: The Physical Health Thread

Post by Samba »

Good luck hammer & Eggchaser. :newthumb:
Hope you both get sorted well.
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by hammer etc »

Great news about your dad MB. Thanks everyone really appreciated.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

I mentioned in the mental health thread that I needed to have a colonoscopy. The goods news is that didn't detect anything while they were in there but still waiting for the results from the biopsies.

The bad news, they seem to have given me an infection. GP thinks we've caught it early and has prescribed antibiotics, but otherwise looks like I'll be under the knife.

Feeling really grim (as you can probably tell from my posts recently!) But in the grand scheme of things it could have been a lot worse.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Get well soon MB.

The woman that sits two desks down from me has two young children - the youngest is around a year old. She had a stroke this weekend. Life can be a b*stard.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Still got no sense of smell, and thus limited sense of taste, after my skull fracture 7 weeks ago
Very frustrating
hammer etc

Post by hammer etc »

Just an update on my progress with regard to my prostate cancer journey. Had an operation Friday. As well as growing larger outwards your prostate can also grow inwards blocking the flow when urinating. I had an epidural and had some tissue removed. Hopefully I can spend more time in bed at night and less in the bathroom. I had already started my preparation for my radiation therapy and that will go ahead soon.

Met this nice old guy on the ward, he'd been in for a while and quite poorly at one stage, awaiting to have physio before going home. They had brought in some of his photographs that he'd taken. He had one of a young Bobby Moore coming out of the tunnel.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

Well done Hammer, good news indeed.
What is the prognosis on the cancer side of things?
hammer etc

Post by hammer etc »

mushy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:36 pm Well done Hammer, good news indeed.
What is the prognosis on the cancer side of things?
Thanks for asking.

It’s still contained within the prostate according to the doctor. Six months ago they started giving me monthly injections to keep the cancer at bay. I have hot flushes every day otherwise everything is good. The injections have pushed my psa down to 0.29, it has to be below 1 before treatment. The doctor said I would live up to 10 years without treatment so the outlook is good. I will be monitored and if it comes back it will be chemo next.

Prostate cancer needs testosterone to grow, it gets that from your b@lls. Would anybody consider having them removed (orchidectomy) to reduce the task?
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

hammer etc wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:38 pm

Prostate cancer needs testosterone to grow, it gets that from your b@lls. Would anybody consider having them removed (orchidectomy) to reduce the task?
I'm no expert but your prognosis and long term future sounds positive from what you have said.
Congratulations!
As for your question above, it's a tricky one indeed. I suppose a lot depends on age and how much you value sex.
I'd say if the worry of this type of cancer starts to take over your life then possibly yes but there again I doubt anyone can make any sort of judgement unless they are in a similar position.
I always think that women that opt for a double mastectomy are incredibly brave.
Good luck mate on whatever course you choose.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

hammer etc wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:38 pm Prostate cancer needs testosterone to grow, it gets that from your b@lls. Would anybody consider having them removed (orchidectomy) to reduce the task?
Less drastic but worth a try according to some research - add a couple of tablespoons of flaxseed powder to your diet
hammer etc

Post by hammer etc »

Yes mushy my prognosis is good. I got diagnosed right at the start, that is the most important thing. These injections I have certainly take away your sexual appetite. I should start radiation treatment soon and then will come off them. I am changing my eating habits without going to far as you must have something nice from time to time. When I was first diagnosed they told me to eat Brazil nuts and tomatoes. I will take a look at Flax seeds Burnley, cheers.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

hammer etc wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:34 pm When I was first diagnosed they told me to eat Brazil nuts and tomatoes.
yes - Brazil Nuts for the selenium, and Tomatoes for the lycopene. Hopefully they told you that it was important to cook the tomatoes.
hammer etc

Post by hammer etc »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:56 pm yes - Brazil Nuts for the selenium, and Tomatoes for the lycopene. Hopefully they told you that it was important to cook the tomatoes.
Yes they did.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Hammer, sending you best wishes mate.
hammer etc

Post by hammer etc »

-DL- wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:02 pm Hammer, sending you best wishes mate.
Thank you appreciate it.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Really enjoyed brown wheat fusilli with a tomato pasta sauce tonight. Feeling good and healthy.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1862 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

hammer etc wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:34 pm Yes mushy my prognosis is good.
Good to hear hammer, best wishes mate :newthumb:
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

hammer etc wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:38 pmProstate cancer needs testosterone to grow, it gets that from your b@lls. Would anybody consider having them removed (orchidectomy) to reduce the task?
Only if I could have extra large prosthetic ones fitted afterwards...
Thanks for the update hammer & good luck with the Radio when you have it. :newthumb:
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Hurt my big toe last week, no idea how I hurt it but it hurt good and proper, it’s better now so I’ll be doing more running on Thursday.
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64638054
Keep checking yourselves fellas