Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2649 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by EvilC »

Wasn’t the referendum meant to make the Conservatives one big, happy family? Because from where I am sitting, they’re still scrapping like rats in a sack, just like they were before.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

EvilC wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:56 pm Wasn’t the referendum meant to make the Conservatives one big, happy family? Because from where I am sitting, they’re still scrapping like rats in a sack, just like they were before.
And that is after purging all the remainers and moderates! It is almost like all that is left is a bunch of disagreeable people :chin:
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

EvilC wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:56 pm Wasn’t the referendum meant to make the Conservatives one big, happy family? Because from where I am sitting, they’re still scrapping like rats in a sack, just like they were before.
And the whole country is dog-tired of the never ending melodrama going on within the party that Brexit unleashed. 4 PM's, 6 Chancellors & god knows how many other ministers since 2016.

It's all an Etonian parlour game of musical chairs to them, but it's our jobs and pensions and mortgages and futures they are destroying.
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Wonder how this brainfart from the Rt Hon Member for Workhouses & Scurvy is going?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... c90f3daff0
Implementing red tape to deliver the government’s own Brexit deal “would have been an act of self harm”, Jacob Rees-Mogg has said.

The Brexit opportunities minister’s admission come as the Tories dropped plans to impose further checks on goods entering the UK from the European Union.

The change means restrictions on the imports of chilled meats from the EU and border checks on plant and animal products will not be introduced in July.
Really ****ing well by the looks of it - https://archive.ph/jLy0A#selection-849.0-857.278
Maggot-infested meat dripping blood on to ready-to-eat food was among the illegal products found during an inspection of lorries at Dover.
Over a 24-hour period this month, Dover port officials checked eastern European food lorries entering the UK.

They searched 22 vehicles of Romanian, Moldovan, Ukrainian and Polish origin: illegal meat imports were found in 21 of them. The inspectors found raw animal products loosely stored in carrier bags and tissue without temperature control, refrigeration or labelled identification. The items were not separated from products such as cheese, crisps and cake.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 426 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

They could start by clamping down on the cowboy hauliers, who come over here without paying any kind of UK taxes to use our roads and undercut our haulage firms.

Even on a level of basic humanity, the way many Eastern European firms treat their drivers is disgusting. Paying them by the mile (an illegal practice in the UK for obvious reasons), not giving them subsistence payments and making them live in their cabs for weeks on end (another illegal practice).

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys....and maggot infested blood dripping on your meat
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

If we were in the EU they'd all be talking about the unelected Van Der Leyen being investigated by fraud for vaccine procurement (this is actually happening), what the gas rationing plan effects would be this winter(this is actually happening), they'd be arguing about the 'unlevel playing field' because Germany can subsidise it's economy and others can't (this is actually happening) and wondering why Sweden and Italy were electing parties into government with neo-nazi backgrounds (this is actually happening).

And the British government would be trying to blame shift due to EU incompetence/procrastination etc.

Brexit is working exactly as it should for democracy.

There's no hiding place for the government.
OFT
Has liked: 3186 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Post by OFT »

Denbighammer wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:53 pm
You pay peanuts, you get monkeys....and maggot infested blood dripping on your meat
Brexit and this bloody government have left us paying Macadamia nuts and still getting monkeys, very scrawny monkeys at that.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2649 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:19 pm If we were in the EU they'd all be talking about the unelected Van Der Leyen being investigated by fraud for vaccine procurement (this is actually happening), what the gas rationing plan effects would be this winter(this is actually happening), they'd be arguing about the 'unlevel playing field' because Germany can subsidise it's economy and others can't (this is actually happening) and wondering why Sweden and Italy were electing parties into government with neo-nazi backgrounds (this is actually happening).

And the British government would be trying to blame shift due to EU incompetence/procrastination etc.

Brexit is working exactly as it should for democracy.

There's no hiding place for the government.
But it didn't make them a big happy family, as it was meant to.

And it has come with lots of significant downsides as well.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

OFT wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:21 pm Brexit and this bloody government have left us paying Macadamia nuts and still getting monkeys, very scrawny monkeys at that.
We have record numbers on payrolls and record numbers of job opportunities over here now - almost double the amount we ever had at any time in the EU.

That is the one shining light in this economic situation.
OFT

Post by OFT »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:29 pm We have record numbers on payrolls and record numbers of job opportunities over here now - almost double the amount we ever had at any time in the EU.

You're a dab hand at numbers etc. Bubbs which I certainly ain't. .there's still huge vacancies in the min wage jobs that we can't fill though .
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

OFT wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:37 pm You're a dab hand at numbers etc. Bubbs which I certainly ain't. .there's still huge vacancies in the min wage jobs that we can't fill though .
It's forcing the employers to raise wages for the low paid without any government compulsion, which wasn't happening for years, decades probably.

If the employers want people, they need to offer an attractive wage/remuneration/staff welfare package or find an alternative way of doing whatever they do.
OFT

Post by OFT »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:46 pm It's forcing the employers to raise wages for the low paid without any government compulsion, which wasn't happening for years, decades probably.

If the employers want people, they need to offer an attractive wage/remuneration/staff welfare package or find an alternative way of doing whatever they do.
I do get that's the theory, just not much evidence, that I can see, of it working.
Here's hoping
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 334 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

OFT wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:49 pm I do get that's the theory, just not much evidence, that I can see, of it working.
Here's hoping
This was one of main reasons I voted to leave the EU. Nothing was going to change if the status quo was maintained.
Essexmaniac

Post by Essexmaniac »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:29 pm We have record numbers on payrolls and record numbers of job opportunities over here now - almost double the amount we ever had at any time in the EU.

.....and what good is that when no- one wants to do the low paid ones. Especially when it's vital jobs whether that's carers, midwives, for pickers and processors......
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Essexmaniac wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:39 pm .....and what good is that when no- one wants to do the low paid ones.
So, there's no one on minimum wage? No one doing low paid work?

Things you learn on here.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

OFT wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:49 pm I do get that's the theory, just not much evidence, that I can see, of it working.
Here's hoping
It has at my place.
They gave us the best rise for years ,and went back to the old travel card package that they had when I started with the firm,30years back. Not saying the reasons given were the only factor,but I am certain it helped.
Essexmaniac

Post by Essexmaniac »

Essexmaniac wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:39 pm .....and what good is that when no- one wants to do the low paid ones. Especially when it's vital jobs whether that's carers, midwives, for pickers and processors......
The point is if there are record numbers of job opportunities, what good is that if no- one wants to do them? Many vacancies created by gaps that are due to the end of free movement.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Essexmaniac wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:07 am Many vacancies created by gaps that are due to the end of free movement.
Which is one thing that even Truss seemed to understand and the principle reason as to why she fell out with Braverman.

Polls on EU membership have only been going one way. The latest one had rejoin on 53% and staying out on 35%. I used to think it would be a generation or maybe even two before there would be a vote on whether to rejoin the EU. I don't think that anyone.

Every day Brexit is seen to not to work for people or our countries, brings forward the day that we have another referendum (and a Scots referendum too for that matter. If a government of true believers can't make it work then who can? I don't think this will be a live issue at the next election but I'd be surprised if it wasn't as soon as the following one.

So c'mon Tories - if you are serious about making Brexit work for people, not your friends, then pull your fingers out, because at the moment Brexit is not safe in your hands.
YGNB
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by YGNB »

I don't know what people are complaining about, don't they like the cheaper food, cheaper energy, cheaper clothes, less immigration, buccaneering fishing industry that we were promised?