What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:14 pm I watched Big Trouble in Little China yesterday. Classic nonsense.
Looks incredible in 4k or even 1080p, at least by comparison to ITV’s 240p broadcasts back in the day.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

OFT wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:04 pm BBC1 and iplayer
Crossfire

Basically a terror attack on a relatively isolated hotel in Spain(loosely based on events in Egypt some years ago I suppose?) Started off brightly enough for us to decide to binge watch it, However, by the time we got into the third and final instalment the end couldn't come quickly enough. Not even the presence of Keely Hawes in the lead role could lift the mood, in fact I would say that was possibly the least convincing role I've seen her in.
Recorded it and just watched the first 2 episodes tonight. What a load of rubbish, no wonder it popped up on the Beeb without much fanfare or trailers!
OFT
Has liked: 2993 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Just watched Tony Adams on Strictly.... jeebushcripesonabike.

:crylol:
Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

Metal Hammer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:06 pm Recorded it and just watched the first 2 episodes tonight. What a load of rubbish, no wonder it popped up on the Beeb without much fanfare or trailers!
Christ, episode 3 is like watching paint dry, makes the first 2 episodes look Oscar worthy in comparison :thdn:
OFT
Has liked: 2993 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Metal Hammer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:17 pm Christ, episode 3 is like watching paint dry, makes the first 2 episodes look Oscar worthy in comparison :thdn:
Yep, that's how we were with ep 3. So predictably dull
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:14 pm I watched Big Trouble in Little China yesterday. Classic nonsense.
Mostly recall that Orangutan, the most hideously ugly thing I've ever seen in a film.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

OFT wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:30 pm Just watched Tony Adams on Strictly.... jeebushcripesonabike.

:crylol:
Bloody loved him.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1640 likes

Post by last.caress »

vietnammer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:53 am Mostly recall that Orangutan (in Big Trouble in Little China), the most hideously ugly thing I've ever seen in a film.
Harsh. I think Kurt Russell's quite handsome tbh. :)
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Airplane!

Honestly, I forget just how many gags, puns and innuendos there are in that film. It's an absolute classic.

Though some of what they got away with then would not fly today, obviously.

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

OFT wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:07 am Apologies eggy . It could just be me mate :oops:

Be interesting to see your final verdict
Seen a lot lot worse. Could have crammed it all in to two episodes IMO.

Bit of a beeb box ticking exercise.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Elvis (2022). Austin Butler does a fine job as the title of the film while Tom Hanks hams it up for 2 hours and 40 minutes as the misrepresented Colonel Tom Parker, coming across as he does like a 20th century Fagan rather than the astute and protective character he was. A decent enough flick (a 6 or 7 out of 10er) although there's some very odd soundtrack choices - I'm quite partial to a bit of Doja Cat, for example, but in a fillum about the most famous rock'n roller in history?

Perhaps director Baz Luhrmann was trying to address long-standing accusations of the titular character's cultural appropriation, but that (and other modern tracks) seemed very out of place.

iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Nope (2022)
The trailers looked good and I mostly enjoyed Us and Get Out before that. So I had expected to enjoy Nope. But I found the first half too slow and meandering. And I have to admit I struggled with understanding all of the dialogue as the accents made it difficult with some of the characters. This is quite weak compared to Peele's previous two efforts. Although I did enjoy the setting and the vibe it created.
Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

Karen Pirie on ITV

While nothing earthshattering in the crime drama stakes the story was interesting enough for us to watch the 2nd episode on demand :newthumb:
Westcliffspur
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Westcliffspur »

Just binged the first two seasons of YELLOWSTONE on Paramount. Kevin Costner is the owner of the largest ranch in the States which is in Montana. His ranch, family and way of life is threatened by property developers, local powerful crooks and the chairman of the Indian reservation who wants Dutton's land back that his ancestors seized 150.years ago from the tribe. Some superb plots with his 4 children, the wranglers who work for him and the different agencies involved locally. Going to watch the next two seasons before the Prem kicks in again.

I'm a sucker for anything to do with the American West and Indians so I also binged watched 1883.

prequel to "Yellowstone," "1883" follows the Dutton family as they flee poverty in Texas and embark on a journey through the Great Plains to seek a better future in Montana. Real-life couple Tim McGraw and Faith Hill star as James and Margaret Dutton, while Sam Elliott portrays Shea Brennan, a tough cowboy who has sadness in his past. Other cast members include Isabel May, LaMonica Garrett and Dawn Olivieri. Billy Bob Thornton will guest star and Tom Hanks makes a cameo in a Civil War flashback scene.

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Amazingly enough, I watched the original "Till death us Do Part" with Warren Mitchell as Alf in the episode "Up The hammers!" on TV last night"

Alf get lumbered with his Granchild so takes him over Upton park to watch West Ham. Needless to say Alf gets sloshed, the baby is thought lost and pandimonium ensues.

I was shocked to see this on TV, but it wasn't as bad as i remembered. Alf gets totally slaughtered by his wife (Dandy Nichols) and his other relatives more often that not, and he is mainly the butt of the joke

I didn't find the racism and sexism deeply offensive, I just saw it as at sign of the times way back then and in fact was proud that as a society, we don't condone this klnd of behaviour any more.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and will watch more.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

Episode 3 of Dahmer on Netflix. Chilling, Disturbing, incredibly hard to watch yet desperate to watch the next episode.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

i quite enjoy watching a lot of the tv reality coppers stuff , traffic cops etc , cant believe that most of the culprits , get sod all in terms of punishment
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Started to watch "10% Percent" on Amazon Prime

It is the British remake of the superb 'Call my Agent'

Unfortunately it is very very poor in comparison so will be abandoning it after 2 episodes
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

chigwells finest wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:40 am i quite enjoy watching a lot of the tv reality coppers stuff , traffic cops etc , cant believe that most of the culprits , get sod all in terms of punishment
We watched a lot of these type of series in lockdown, decent watch most of them, you are not wrong in many getting away with any form of punishment. Maybe it was us, but it seemed the more law abiding you are, living a normal existence and just made a mistake, the more you got punished...
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Caught half hour of some Channel 4 Jimmy Carr quiz with :arry: telling his same old tired anecdotes about Paul Merson, bringing a bloke out of the crowd on and so on.

Wondered if him and Carr had a chat about tax while they were together...