Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by sendô »

To be fair it's not so much the location as it is the standard of track. Certain ones are classics because they're good race tracks. Monza, Silverstone, Spa, Imola, Montreal, Hungaroring, Suzuka etc.

A lot of the new ones are ****. There seems to be way too much emphasis on a track being a "street circuit". Why? Is it because it looks good as a backdrop on TV? I know the drivers all love Monaco, and they all seem to rate Singapore too, but Baku? The way F1 safety has gone with run off areas etc we should be having more purpose built racetracks and fewer of these types of circuits. Baku feels like another death in waiting for me. The Jeddah one also.

Then there's the other **** desert circuits. The Sakir one. We might as well just have an oval and let the cars have two set ups like Indycar. The chinese one has always felt boring, and I'm not even sure what the deal is with the Qatar track. The Las Vegas one looks similarly ridiculous, with the whole thing being about "racing down the Las Vegas strip" although at least it wont be in a car park this time.

It's all about how it looks on tele, and how it can be sold to the passing F1 fan for short term interest rather than what consistutes the best, most challenging, most interesting tracks.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Lots of sense being talked in this thread...shame no **** from F1 management will be listening.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

sendô wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:08 pm A lot of the new ones are ****. There seems to be way too much emphasis on a track being a "street circuit". Why? Is it because it looks good as a backdrop on TV?
I would guess it's because you need minimal investment to make a street track, and you don't have to maintain for the sole purpose of hosting race weekends.

It is also a better tourist advertisement than a regular race track. Both during the event and after.
szola

Post by szola »

So the 2024 calendar will be

Europe - 9
Gulf States - 5
Far East - 4
USCA - 4
America Latina - 2

That is a very evenly distributed events calendar. There is only two areas missing, as far as I can see. One track in Africa and one track in India.
Get those in, and we'll have half a year's worth of racing per season...

In 2002 we had 17 races, in 1992 16, in 1982 15...
sendô

Post by sendô »

I suppose it depends how you dress it up. It's 9 in Europe and 9 across asia with 5 in north/central America, so just the one in Australia and 1 in South America.

The issue with F1 as always is the money it costs, and that applies to hosting grands prix as much as running a team. How many south American, African or Asian nations outside of the ones already hosting can really afford to take part?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Red Bull apparently have breached cost cap in 2021.

How many ways can you win a title unjustly?

How much of that breach has enabled their domination this year?

Will anything of note actually be done?
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:27 pm Red Bull apparently have breached cost cap in 2021.

How many ways can you win a title unjustly?

How much of that breach has enabled their domination this year?

Will anything of note actually be done?
Two teams have. One ‘minor’ and one ‘major’. They can be kicked out of the championship last season,fined, shamed all sorts but apparently drivers points are not touchable. AM are the other team. At least RB got somewhere cheating, to over spend and still be **** is an achievement.

Is see the Max army is out on Reddit and Twitter. The mind gymnastics being played to justify last year is incredible.
szola

Post by szola »

I feel for the drivers. They are without blame regarding this.

Why not force teams to have open books, with a third party audit firm?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

szola wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:06 pm I feel for the drivers. They are without blame regarding this.

I don't. Thery benefit from the overspend too. They're always saying "We win as a team, we lose as a team". They also cheat as a team.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

https://www.racefans.net/2022/09/30/sky ... ntil-2029/

Disappointing. I was hoping F1TV would launch in the UK.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

wolf359 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:36 pm Two teams have. One ‘minor’ and one ‘major’. They can be kicked out of the championship last season,fined, shamed all sorts but apparently drivers points are not touchable. AM are the other team. At least RB got somewhere cheating, to over spend and still be **** is an achievement.

Is see the Max army is out on Reddit and Twitter. The mind gymnastics being played to justify last year is incredible.
The drivers points are touchable - and I really wouldn't be surprised if The FIA deduct points from RB/MV for last season - so that the person that should have been champion but for their 'human error' is champion, without them having to blame their man. Easier to deduct points retrospectively if Red Bull are at fault.

Deduct from RB/MV as well this season, but as he has such a huge lead, he'll still have the championship that he deserves.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

-DL- wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:25 pm The drivers points are touchable - and I really wouldn't be surprised if The FIA deduct points from RB/MV for last season - so that the person that should have been champion but for their 'human error' is champion, without them having to blame their man. Easier to deduct points retrospectively if Red Bull are at fault.

Deduct from RB/MV as well this season, but as he has such a huge lead, he'll still have the championship that he deserves.
I really hope they do, but they won't but as Toto said how do you remove the advantage gained this season and next as well.. It could be a shitstorm.. Horner was his usual self somehow making out Toto was at fault.

Yes, I was wrong earlier for a 'major' breach drivers points are on the table (well almost everything is) . How independent is the review board though, I don't trust F1 at all to police this.
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

wolf359 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:29 pm …. I don't trust F1 at all to police this.
That’s the crux of it for me. Lost faith since AD21.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Glad to see Sky have the TV rights to show F1 til 2029. Their coverage is second to none IMO.
sendô

Post by sendô »

It’ll be the usual slap on the wrist level of punishment for RB. Most likely a big points deduction for Verstappen this season that’ll still see him win the title.

It’s a bit late for last season now. I doubt even Hamilton would want to be handed that title like this.

Anyway, he was fastest in practise yesterday so fingers crossed this weekend isnt another Verstappen procession.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

sendô wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:05 am
Anyway, he was fastest in practise yesterday so fingers crossed this weekend isnt another Verstappen procession.
Be quite convenient if the RB ‘struggled’ this weekend and they threw Merc a win.

Horner been on the crazy pills overnight

‘These are defamatory statements and absolutely unacceptable. The FIA itself says that they have not yet completed their investigation. It is no coincidence that this has come out, now that Max can take the title.’
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

wolf359 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:02 am ‘These are defamatory statements and absolutely unacceptable. The FIA itself says that they have not yet completed their investigation.
Just how many things did he accuse Mercedes of last season that were unfounded?
sendô

Post by sendô »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:20 am Just how many things did he accuse Mercedes of last season that were unfounded?
Chances are the Red Bulls overspend was all on their phone bill for Horner's calls to the race director.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

sendô wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:23 am Chances are the Red Bulls overspend was all on their phone bill for Horner's calls to the race director.
#spendyspice trending 😂
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

If they (and AM or any other team) have gone over budget then the FIA have to take strong action with heavy points deductions (for now or the season in question - as future ones will just see a team hold off development costs for a year). If they were to just fine them then it says to any teams, if you can afford the fine, just overspend.

I really hope Red Bull get shafted! If it gives Lewis the title last year he deserved in the process - even better!