Your greatest personal life achievement - still to come or already achieved?

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Wilko1304, -DL-, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress

ironilunga
Has liked: 221 likes
Total likes: 705 likes

Your greatest personal life achievement - still to come or already achieved?

Post by ironilunga »

Your greatest personal achievement - Has it already happened for you or do you still hope it is ahead?

*Let’s exclude having a family from this thread and focus truly on greatest personal life achievement.
S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 2485 likes
Total likes: 4103 likes

Re: Your greatest personal life achievement - still to come or already achieved?

Post by S-H »

Growing a successful business, with my Dad.

I know you said about excluding having a family, but having a son, for my wife and I, after being told many years ago we couldn't have children is without doubt my biggest achievement, and will not be topped.
ironilunga

Re: Your greatest personal life achievement - still to come or already achieved?

Post by ironilunga »

S-H wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:36 am Growing a successful business, with my Dad.

I know you said about excluding having a family, but having a son, for my wife and I, after being told many years ago we couldn't have children is without doubt my biggest achievement, and will not be topped.
Congrats on both 👍
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 165 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

I got to put my winkle in a lady once.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Has liked: 717 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by last.caress »

I bought Batman: The Complete Television Series limited edition box set on blu-ray.

I also took off all of my clothes and frapped off of the edge of a hotel roof once.

Can't really decide between those two, they're both awesome.

OFT
Has liked: 1323 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by OFT »

Probably too self indulgent :oops: :-
Somehow managing to get out of gainful employment and survive, albeit with a couple of failures, on my own. Well, not on my own, aided wonderfully and to a certain extent, driven by Her OFTness and some horrible part time jobs we bought a premises and after general used furniture dealing started 'restoring' and I taught myself furniture making to a level acceptable to others so that we could run a small shop and workshop for nearly 30 years which we've just weighed in to help fund our retirement. (Built a new workshop in the garden and all the machines are in there, got to keep the old grey cells switched on :winker: )
I still can't really understand how it all happened, there was never any plan .

On a lighter note, managed to drive my old singer vogue estate from the top of a multi storey car park the 30 odd miles home with no clutch. :arry:
OFT
Has liked: 1323 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by OFT »

last.caress wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:00 am I bought Batman: The Complete Television Series limited edition box set on blu-ray.

I also took off all of my clothes and frapped off of the edge of a hotel roof once.

Can't really decide between those two, they're both awesome.
Proper ! :grin:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 285 likes
Total likes: 246 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Just changing hands
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:53 am I got to put my winkle in a lady once.
Would it be a greater achievement in the future if they had a pulse, or not….your choice 👍
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 908 likes
Total likes: 1013 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Good question, one I’ve pondered a few times. It’s either:

- Remaining in continuous employment since the day I left university (without completing my degree).
- Achieving levels of physical fitness throughout my 30s and much of my 40s (partially dented by lockdown & WFH) that I never realised would be possible.
- Am on track to being mortgage free by my 50th.

I very much doubt I’ll ever top any of them in the future, although I do still want to retire while I’m still young enough to enjoy it, so I guess that’s something to strive for.

That said, since I became a dad, my only real life goals have been centred around giving my kids the best life I possibly can, and I don’t feel I’m even vaguely close to achieving that. In fact, I usually feel like I’m more hinderance than help. Hopefully I’m wrong on that front.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 908 likes
Total likes: 1013 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Actually I thought of another one. When I was a kid, I hated feeling dependent on anyone for anything - family, friends, colleagues, whatever. I always wanted to feel like I could take on any of life’s challenges without needing anyone’s assistance, be it financial, emotional, psychological or similar.

I generally feel like I got close to that stage in my mid-20s, and by the time my 30s rolled round, I genuinely felt like I could handle life without leaning on anyone else to deal with the bumps and curveballs. That’s not to say I don’t appreciate help and support, I just need to know that I don’t *need* it.

Now I’m distinctly middle aged, I’ve sort of become my family’s troubleshooter, and I’m more than happy with that role. I feel it’s my duty to provide my family the platform to realise their dreams and fulfil their potential, and be the one they turn to when things go south, and being able to do that comes from my life long desire to be self-sufficient.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I’d like a novel published so I feel that achievable ambition is still to come.

Beating a nasty bout of depression in 2020 and now major surgery on my bowel this year is personally pleasing.

In comparison to many I grew up with, keeping out of trouble, working and not being an absent father to a number of kids is an achievement… People from my, and many of our, backgrounds don’t always do quite well but I think I have. It’s taken work.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 1069 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

After a decade of flaky mental health between ages 25 and 35, most of which my brain has managed to erase from its memory, I'd say that my biggest achievement is finding my feet again and going on to be the total opposite of what I once was. Mentally resilient, calm, pragmatic, and an appreciation of the simple things in life.
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:18 am After a decade of flaky mental health between ages 25 and 35, most of which my brain has managed to erase from its memory, I'd say that my biggest achievement is finding my feet again and going on to be the total opposite of what I once was. Mentally resilient, calm, pragmatic, and an appreciation of the simple things in life.
Awesome mate, congratulations 👍
YorksHammer
Total likes: 678 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

That's good to hear, Burnley.

I'm hoping, with the exclusion of having and nurturing kids, mine is yet to come. I'm five days out from being a year separated, with divorce going through a couple of weeks after and, in all honesty, I'd tied myself and my achievements in life completely to a successful marriage and family, with a house, mortgage to be paid off by the time I was in my early 40s and so on.

Having spent most of the past 15 years feeling like I was living someone else's life and not really living my own much, I'm actually pretty pleased to have got my feet under myself and invest in a couple of things I really like doing - it's nothing major, but just reconnecting with a good friend group I thought I might have lost, going to the pub quiz when it's possible, and picking up a couple of new hobbies has felt like a big shift to me. Feel like I've probably got bigger things in the next 12-24 months ahead, mind you.

So, for now, who knows. I quite want to change careers completely although, realistically, I can't do it right now because I've got too much financial burden in terms of my month to month spend. The biggest thing I want to do is just go and live somewhere almost completely off grid for a while and live by myself for a bit, a bit of peace and quiet solitude.
S-H
GIF Git

Post by S-H »

I've watched Commando 47 times.
simonpaulthomas
Total likes: 165 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

S-H wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:06 pm I've watched Commando 47 times.
f*** you, asshole.
rigoberts song
Total likes: 215 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Shagging the sunderland chairman's wife earlier in the year
Abut 15 years younger than me and hot.
S-H
GIF Git

Post by S-H »

rigoberts song wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:42 pm Shagging the sunderland chairman's wife earlier in the year
Abut 15 years younger than me and hot.
Isn't the Sunderland Chairman only 23?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... THREE.html
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 1069 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Still to come:

Summit the 214 Wainwrights in the Lake District. It's a WIP.

I'd love to do the Munroes but can't get up to Scotland enough for it to be a realistic goal.