The Truss Government Sep-Oct 2022 (49 days)

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Wilko1304, -DL-, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress

simon hammer
Has liked: 479 likes
Total likes: 245 likes

Re: The Truss Government 2022-

Post by simon hammer »

thamesideiron wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:17 pm This is a GLOBAL problem at the moment just not ours.....check out other Economies...Germany had Europes Biggest/Strongest Economy,
it's crashing...as bad maybe worse than ours,France,Italy,Spain,Everyone Worldwide all going thru the same tough times.
China,Japan...Economies are Shrinking,Forecasts are very low...Germanys inflation is at a 70 year high
All Currencies are weak against a very strong dollar...The Euro is doing exactly the same as the pound..Chinas Yuan is at a record low against it.
Goes on..

Borrowing ,The Government,Basically borrows mainly from our own Banks,Investment/Pension Funds.etc..so they will make any profits,
unfortunately or fortuantly,depends how you look at it...major shareholders...private and public will make a few quid on the back of it.
that's life.....No conning or old pals acts here I'm afraid.
(That Does Not mean I'm for high borrowing...just a needs must at moment)We need to fund a struggling economy...
Tax cuts for EVERYONE helps to do that.
Someone/something looses money, someone/something makes money...it doesn't disappear,as long as it's being used in some way is the main thing.

But unfortunately our Press/media don't report that...they much prefer to dig the Government/Truss/Kwarteng,and blame them
for a GLOBAL situation.

I'm not defending or excusing anything or anyone.....but we need to see and understand the Bigger Picture..

If anything I'm having a pop at our Media/Press...for doing what they do best...Negative,Doomongering reporting..

But Also I won't hide the fact,I am Tory Voter,and doubt will ever change,despite present problems.
The banking crash in 2008 was also a global problem. Didn't stop the media hanging Labour and Gordon Brown out to dry. As a self confessed dyed in the wool Tory voter...were you seeing the bigger picture in this way back then? Or were you shouting for a change of government?
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 377 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

simon hammer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:21 pm The banking crash in 2008 was also a global problem. Didn't stop the media hanging Labour and Gordon Brown out to dry. As a self confessed dyed in the wool Tory voter...were you seeing the bigger picture in this way back then? Or were you shouting for a change of government?
They hung him/them out to dry for the off book stuff, double counting and the state the national finances were in. Much like the more labour friendly papers are doing with Truss and the decisions of the past week.

I'd say both criticisms were justified tbh.
YGNB
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by YGNB »

Of course there are global issues at the moment but that budget was a complete **** show. A total unforced error. If her chancellor just announced the energy stuff she'd prob be trailing labour by 5% max instead of 30+
simon hammer

Post by simon hammer »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:39 pm They hung him/them out to dry for the off book stuff, double counting and the state the national finances were in. Much like the more labour friendly papers are doing with Truss and the decisions of the past week.

I'd say both criticisms were justified tbh.
I absolutely agree with you slwo. I was just trying to ascertain whether the poster was as magnanimous then as he is now, or if they only see the bigger picture when it suits their one eyed political perspective.
mumbles87
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 382 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

YGNB wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:46 pm Of course there are global issues at the moment but that budget was a complete **** show. A total unforced error. If her chancellor just announced the energy stuff she'd prob be trailing labour by 5% max instead of 30+
the fact that members of her own party are questioning the tax breaks is telling. the tories love a tax give away but to give away to the richest in society whilst the poor suffer oh and interest rates went up off the back of it

its like lobbing your own keeping from kick off.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 2865 likes
Total likes: 1281 likes

Post by MB »

It isn't just the tax breaks though. It was the fact they were uncosted and no information was provided. Just tax cuts = growth, trust us.

It isn't just the "what" that ****ed the market but also the "how". It just isn't how you do this stuff.
delbert
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by delbert »

A conspiracy theorist may make a claim that removing the bankers bonus cap just prior to announcing this mini budget thingy was done in the hope they wouldn't go crazy ape bonkers and crash the pound. Or, it was removed so they could cash in properly, either way, the timing stinks a tad.......
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 1641 likes
Total likes: 646 likes

Post by EvilC »

One poll, but still.

mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

delbert wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:10 pm A conspiracy theorist may make a claim that removing the bankers bonus cap just prior to announcing this mini budget thingy was done in the hope they wouldn't go crazy ape bonkers and crash the pound. Or, it was removed so they could cash in properly, either way, the timing stinks a tad.......
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 28051.html
Junco Partner
Location: You wanna play mind-crazed banjo On the druggy-drag ragtime U.S.A.?
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 454 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

delbert wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:10 pm A conspiracy theorist may make a claim that removing the bankers bonus cap just prior to announcing this mini budget thingy was done in the hope they wouldn't go crazy ape bonkers and crash the pound. Or, it was removed so they could cash in properly, either way, the timing stinks a tad.......
Allegedly there were 'meetings' between KamiKwasi and notable hedge funders and prominent Tory donor-sphere members, the FCA are to investigate for possible insider trading.

The nation's Chancellor shorting his own currency to make a bob or two for a few spiv mates....Well, I didn't have that in my Massive-Tory-f***-Up sweepstake.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 377 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

EvilC wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:12 pm One poll, but still.

Would give labour 340 seats according to that. Probably a pretty good balance around that number. Enough to get things done but also need support from other parties. Might make things difficult with the labour awkward squad.

Interesting the other opposition parties are dropping as the need for a deal diminishes. Have the lib Dems missed their moment?
MB

Post by MB »

Where to even start with this one :lol:

mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

MB wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:35 pm Where to even start with this one :lol:

Boris was rumoured to be singing things can only get better.
MB

Post by MB »

Prob
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by Prob »

EvilC wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:12 pm One poll, but still.

thamesideiron
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 55 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

simon hammer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:21 pm The banking crash in 2008 was also a global problem. Didn't stop the media hanging Labour and Gordon Brown out to dry. As a self confessed dyed in the wool Tory voter...were you seeing the bigger picture in this way back then? Or were you shouting for a change of government?
What happened then...Happened then mate...

Why should it make any difference who I vote for...would vote Tory, Crash or no Crash...

You touch on Media...that was my main point,not giving the Public full infomation on what problems we are having and why,instead
Personalising something and Blaming individuals.
The Media "digging out,blame game" on Brown was not a touch on whats happening now...think Brown stayed on for another 2/3 years.
......Kept us out of the Euro currency if recall,so got something right... :lol:

You Should vote for a Partys Fundamental Believes and Policies in how a Country should be run...not for individuals,or blame them when World Politics and other goings on,make that job extremely difficult,nigh on impossible at times.
DrVenk
Has liked: 227 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by DrVenk »

thamesideiron wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:40 pm What happened then...Happened then mate...

[a] ...would vote Tory, Crash or no Crash...

[b.] You Should vote for a Partys Fundamental Believes and Policies in how a Country should be run...
Agree. Point B is a very fair point

Given B, could you explain A? That is, what exactly are the Conservative Party's core beliefs and clear policy platforms and track record of good government that make them the unquestionable choice for you?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 634 likes
Total likes: 945 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Truss to meet head of OBR
The prime minister will meet the head of Britain's independent forecaster on Friday after days of market turmoil.

In an unusual move, Liz Truss and Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng will meet the head of Office of Budget Responsibility's (OBR) to discuss the fallout after Friday's mini-budget.

The OBR said it offered to prepare a draft forecast in time for the mini-budget but it was not taken up.

A group of MPs has called for the forecast to be released "immediately".

The Treasury Select Committee said the lack of this had "in some part driven the lack of confidence in the markets".

more...
MB

Post by MB »

My money is on the Head of the OBR falling out of a window sometime tomorrow afternoon…
simon hammer

Post by simon hammer »

thamesideiron wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:40 pm What happened then...Happened then mate...

Why should it make any difference who I vote for...would vote Tory, Crash or no Crash...

You touch on Media...that was my main point,not giving the Public full infomation on what problems we are having and why,instead
Personalising something and Blaming individuals.
The Media "digging out,blame game" on Brown was not a touch on whats happening now...think Brown stayed on for another 2/3 years.
......Kept us out of the Euro currency if recall,so got something right... :lol:

You Should vote for a Partys Fundamental Believes and Policies in how a Country should be run...not for individuals,or blame them when World Politics and other goings on,make that job extremely difficult,nigh on impossible at times.
Cheers for the answer, appreciate it.

My mum is a lifelong Tory voter. In 2008 she absolutely blamed Labour for a global issue. In 2022, she refuses to blame the Tories because "it's a global issue".

I have pointed out the hypocrisy, but she is "true blue through and through" and I just wondered if that attitude was prevalent amongst Tory voters.

For the record, I vote Green but hate the idea of having to vote for a 'leader' or any sort of governance.