David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by MrHammer73 »

We should not be talking about replacing Moyes at this point of the season at his first real hiccup with West Ham. He navigated us away from relegation twice and got us into Europe twice. He has got credit in his West Ham account for this.

I hate us changing our managers so much like other clubs but we have become like this since GSB have been our owners. Give him 5 straight seasons and see how we progress.

Could he do better? Sure, he needs to play more eye catching football and play the players that have shown some form this season.

But the leaking of names for his replacement in media is a tired old Sully tactic which makes me think Moyes will not see out the season as our boss.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

MrHammer73 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:34 pm We should not be talking about replacing Moyes at this point of the season at his first real hiccup with West Ham. He navigated us away from relegation twice and got us into Europe twice. He has got credit in his West Ham account for this.
For me the current problem isn't that we have had a bad run, that happens.
It's the way we try to play with the new players bought.

We have 14 games I think until the world cup.
Wolves, Fulham, Saints, Liverpool, Bournemouth, Man Utd, Palace, Leicester, Arsenal.
4 ECL games.
1 League cup vs Blackburn.

For me if we don't get 12 points (3 wins, 3 draws, 3 loses) + win ECL group + next round of league Cup I'd be asking very serious questions.
Obviously a single cup game can go either way.
Even 12 points only takes us to 16 points from 16 games which is very poor so could argue more are needed.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:11 pm If that's the shortlist then.... stick
Correct.

I do want DM to succeed as I have gone through 2 really positive seasons especially after the last 2 years that most of us have endured in our personal lives.

However, I fully agree that if that’s the best we can entice to take over this squad (which must be worth over £300m now), plus our support, then I’d rather continue and allow Moyes to build what he clearly sees as a team destined to remain in the upper echelons of the league
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

There’s not a single manager currently available right now I’d take over Moyes. Not even Pochettino.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1191 likes

Post by ironilunga »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:58 am There’s not a single manager currently available right now I’d take over Moyes. Not even Pochettino.
That’s the thing though, even if we could get Poch how long is he going to hang around for?

Success is built on continuity. Wenger, Fergie, Pep, Mourinho, Klopp etc

Not saying we will win the league but sticking by our manager might win us something.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:58 am There’s not a single manager currently available right now I’d take over Moyes. Not even Pochettino.
Oh come on, Pochettino is a miles better manager than Moyes. I hate spurs more than the next person but he built one of the most exciting Sides to watch at Spurs. I dont think he’d want the gig but if he let he be known he did then you’d have to take it.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Lovejoy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:36 am Oh come on, Pochettino is a miles better manager than Moyes. I hate spurs more than the next person but he built one of the most exciting Sides to watch at Spurs. I dont think he’d want the gig but if he let he be known he did then you’d have to take it.
You’re assuming I don’t want him just because he managed the Spuds.

I am not denying he did a good job at the Spuds. But really all he achieved there was finishing in the top 4. Something our current manager has achieved at Everton and was very very close to doing the last 2 seasons. And there’s nothing to say Moyes won’t achieve that if given time and support.

And before I get a reminder of him making the Champions League final, so did one of our ex managers…..

Moyes has also made the same amount of English finals as Pochettino. Came a lot closer to winning his final too than Pochettino ever did.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

There’s no vacancy so it’s all pointless imo. If the day comes then it’s open season on who comes in.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 467 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

MrHammer73 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:34 pm We should not be talking about replacing Moyes at this point of the season at his first real hiccup with West Ham. He navigated us away from relegation twice and got us into Europe twice. He has got credit in his West Ham account for this.

I hate us changing our managers so much like other clubs but we have become like this since GSB have been our owners. Give him 5 straight seasons and see how we progress.

Could he do better? Sure, he needs to play more eye catching football and play the players that have shown some form this season.

But the leaking of names for his replacement in media is a tired old Sully tactic which makes me think Moyes will not see out the season as our boss.
Pretty much agree with you, although I'd say it's been a bit more of a hiccup.

I don't read much in the way of media, nor much in the way of other pages/forums, but have names been leaked to the media or is just people on places like this and the odd journalist speculating, given we have slumped in terms of form second half of last season and the start of this?

And where are these shortlists coming from?

There's been some weighty investment in the squad, with quality players coming in, so it's understandable that rumours spread.

Football is very short term these days, 2 wins and all is good again, 2 defeats and it's all but a crisis.

Funny thing is, if Moyes wasn't our manager right now he'd be a great shout for the position we are in :eh:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

It's on David Moyes to make sure he sees out his contract. Nobody else. It's the same old stuff about a hiccup this season, when this hiccup that stretched back to November isn't just a hiccup, it's a massive belch followed by a stinking wet fart.

As this is a discussion forum, not to mention the fact it's been an international break with not much else to talk about on the club football front, by all means, discuss hypothetically whom may come in should results and performances stay the same for much longer - because like it or not, if we get cut adrift or are there or there abouts, the board will have no option but to change it, despite the results of previous seasons.
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by GALF »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:25 am You’re assuming I don’t want him just because he managed the Spuds.
Shortened the quote purely to prevent this from being too long of a post. Apologies.

I personally think a club like ours is perfect for Pochettino. He might quite rightly consider himself too big of a fish now. However, his best work seems to be working with and developing an “underdog”, across his spells at Espanyol, Southampton and even Spurs (albeit to a lesser extent).

He also advocates an entertaining brand of football.

As I said on a previous page, I feel uncomfortable about speculating about Moyes’ future at this stage as it feels very “modern football. However, if Pochettino were to be available I would take him, much like I would upgrade a player if a better one became available.

This is all a nonsense at the moment anyway.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Didn't Pochettino say he'd never manage Barcelona due to his Espanyol connections?

I'd imagine he'd make a similar excuse to turn us down.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Major »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:02 am Didn't Pochettino say he'd never manage Barcelona due to his Espanyol connections?

Absolutely he woul dnot go to West Ham and work for the shysters oh and the fans are even more fickle than Spurs...
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Major wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:25 am Absolutely he woul dnot go to West Ham and work for the shysters oh and the fans are even more fickle than Spurs...
Aren't the shysters leaving immediately?
Sorry but Spurs fans as a collective are the most bi-polar fickle delusional bunch in the country.
DenziMart
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by DenziMart »

Blimey - I thought I'd joined a Spurs forum.
Two top 8 finishes and a bit of European football and everyone thinks we should be challenging at the top.
It's a wobble - don't panic.
When did we become so entitled and Spursy?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

DenziMart wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:51 am Blimey - I thought I'd joined a Spurs forum.
Two top 8 finishes and a bit of European football and everyone thinks we should be challenging at the top.
.. and we finished third in 1986
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Major »

DenziMart wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:51 am Blimey - I thought I'd joined a Spurs forum.
Blimey there is someone on here that still understands this is not fantasy football.

People keep going on about it was all through the back end of last year as well, but they only had about 12 players that had played 100 games each, that was the problem then, now the problem is having to rectify that problem in one go. It aint rocket it will take a bit of time FFS
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:25 am You’re assuming I don’t want him just because he managed the Spuds.

I am not denying he did a good job at the Spuds. But really all he achieved there was finishing in the top 4. Something our current manager has achieved at Everton and was very very close to doing the last 2 seasons. And there’s nothing to say Moyes won’t achieve that if given time and support.

And before I get a reminder of him making the Champions League final, so did one of our ex managers…..

Moyes has also made the same amount of English finals as Pochettino. Came a lot closer to winning his final too than Pochettino ever did.

No I’m not assuming that at all, it’s actually a niggled I’d have with him if he did ever come here tbh. His spurs side was brilliant to watch, flying full backs in Walker & Rose, Dembele in midfield with Eriksen, Alli & Kane scoring for fun. They played a brand of football that David Moyes would never let his side play, that’s the reason I’d move Moyes on tomorrow if we had a sniff that Poch wanted to come here. He would actually build a side who could pass a ball, as someone said above its like if a better player was available you don’t show sentiment & the same goes for the manager.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:02 am Didn't Pochettino say he'd never manage Barcelona due to his Espanyol connections?

He would likely turn us down as we are not 'big enough' in his eyes
I doubt the West Ham - Spurs thing would be any influence on this, as it isn't really a 'rivalry' as such

I doubt he would manage Arsenal though for that reason
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

My prediction is that Moyes will be gone by the time we come back from the World Cup
The reason for this is because I don't think we are going to snap out of this bad spell and will still be fully ensconsed in the bottom 3 by then
If that is the case, the owners will pull the trigger (rightly or wrongly)