The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by mumbles87 »

Jonah wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:12 pm Hope he gets a call up from Uncle Vlad soon.

Nope, not even really thought about it to be honest due to our diet - we probably only use the oven once/twice a week if we're unlucky, we make more curries/stews in the slow cooker or stir frys on the hob, all other veg gets steamed.

Worth considering but you can explain to the Mrs why the aesthetics of the kitchen has been ruined by Metal Mickey sitting on the worktop ;)
Ninja multi cooker

Pressure cooker
Slow cooker
Steamer
Air fry in one
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

EvilC wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:15 pm I guess it depends on a variety of factors - the size of your house, how much you are in, whether you are young/old, how energy efficient your house is etc. My house is a decent size but recently had building work done, so it is pretty energy efficient. My usage is around 5,500kwh electricity/33,000 kwh gas, but I think I can trim the gas usage fairly significantly.

I know people that were renting an old house that was massively energy inefficient - the neighbours said you could literally see it leaking heat.
33,000 kWh of gas?! ****ing hell!
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Re: the Octopus ' crystal ball'. Think I am right in saying the protections dont factor in the £400 government discount?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:08 pm 33,000 kWh of gas?! ****ing hell!
Did you not know that Evil is the 12th Duke of Marlborough? :crylol:
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Essexmaniac wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:32 pm Re: the Octopus ' crystal ball'. Think I am right in saying the protections dont factor in the £400 government discount?
You can toggle it on or off.

Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

This thread has been really useful - so firstly thanks for all the really knowledgeable contributions :newthumb:

I've done a bit of digging around the capped unit rates - am I right in that only applies to variable rates? I only ask as I'm fixed until Feb 23, and am paying a higher rate than the cap - which I'm assuming is because it was a fixed offer rather than the default var rate. My thinking at the time was that I didn't want to be exposed to anything mad...

I'm with Octopus

TIA for any responses!
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Loftyhammer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:34 pm This thread has been really useful - so firstly thanks for all the really knowledgeable contributions :newthumb:

I've done a bit of digging around the capped unit rates - am I right in that only applies to variable rates? I only ask as I'm fixed until Feb 23, and am paying a higher rate than the cap - which I'm assuming is because it was a fixed offer rather than the default var rate. My thinking at the time was that I didn't want to be exposed to anything mad...

I'm with Octopus

TIA for any responses!
fixed rates are suppose to be reduced to the flat right but we arent in october yet which is prob why not reflected

however if it doesnt drop octupus normally do zero exit fees so just ask to move to the variable

they are pretty good at sorting these things
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Loftyhammer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:34 pm This thread has been really useful - so firstly thanks for all the really knowledgeable contributions :newthumb:

I'm with Octopus

TIA for any responses!
Check your T&Cs, but I think with fixed rates, you can't pay more than any price cap - so if you're fixed and the price cap drops, which technically it has been, they can't charge you more.
MB

Post by MB »

I'm with Octopus

TIA for any responses!
As Mumbles and DL have said, the expectation is your rate will drop to the guaranteed rate but no one is quite sure of the details yet! If not then looks like the energy companies have agreed to move people free of charge to the variable rate:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utili ... 20decrease.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:48 pm

Just using oven chips as an example

28 mins plus a pre heat in oven 220 degree

18-20 mins no pre heat 200 degree air fryer

Once at time it uses really low power aswell
But you have to eat them........
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Check your meter readings tomorrow for both gas and electric and send them in to your supplier.

Do not let them use estimates.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Just logged on to my Octopus account, enabled the crystal ball mode, and had a look at the forecast.

I wish I hadn't.

Edit: In an attempt to make myself feel better, I had a go with Mumbles spreadsheet. That looks much better!

Apparently I've used 5757kw of electric and 1319kw gas over the last 12 months - that comes out as perfectly manageable using that spreadsheet, especially as I'm currently £500 in credit.

I'm currently paying £220 a month with Octopus however they're automatically reducing that to 153 next month (not sure why if their forecasts are so scary) so I'll need to up it again.

Their Crystal ball says that Januarys bill is going to be £1,031! It's also saying that if I keep everything as it is then I will owe them £4,500 by this time next August.
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:13 pm Just logged on to my Octopus account, enabled the crystal ball mode, and had a look at the forecast.

I wish I hadn't.

Edit: In an attempt to make myself feel better, I had a go with Mumbles spreadsheet. That looks much better!

Apparently I've used 5757kw of electric and 1319kw gas over the last 12 months - that comes out as perfectly manageable using that spreadsheet, especially as I'm currently £500 in credit.

I'm currently paying £220 a month with Octopus however they're automatically reducing that to 153 next month (not sure why if their forecasts are so scary) so I'll need to up it again.

Their Crystal ball says that Januarys bill is going to be £1,031! It's also saying that if I keep everything as it is then I will owe them £4,500 by this time next August.
If in doubt a spreadsheet will calm the mind

I am not sure how crystal ball works, because 9/10 ATM people are on the variable which I believe are still price called officially, ie we were suppose to be on 48p for electric from Saturday but the gov are making it 34p and then from January it will go up again so I do wonder if they still use those predictions in their calculations rather than the gov policy cap

I mean they won't have updated it over night

Us go customers all got email today which reads as follows

For many years, Octopus Go and Intelligent Octopus have been the best value way to charge an electric vehicle, with prices well below the Ofgem Price Cap and particularly cheap off–peak rates.
The Government has announced a 2 year Energy Price Guarantee, capping variable prices to £2,500 for a typical home, and reducing fixed tariffs above that level
As an Octopus Go customer, you’re unaffected by this as your prices are already below the Energy Price Guarantee rates
You will receive the £400 Energy Bill Support Scheme automatically as monthly credits from October to March
We love EV’s — from October 8 we’re adding a 5% discount for all charging on the Electric Universe network for Octopus Go customers
We’re working hard to help those who need it most this winter. Details below

Dear mumbles,

Thank you for choosing Octopus to power your home and travel. Electric vehicles are fundamental to the UK’s — and indeed the world’s — sustainable future, and I’m proud that more drivers choose Octopus than any other supplier.

It’s not a responsibility we take lightly. There’s much that needs to change to make driving an electric vehicle a better, cheaper, more convenient experience than fossil–fuel transport has ever been — but that change is happening. I’m proud we’ve been part of that, and excited there is so much more yet to come.

For years, Octopus Go has given drivers unrivalled cheap charging. Often, it’s been the cheapest tariff — bar none.

Both Octopus Go and Intelligent Octopus have continued to offer great value throughout the fossil–fuel energy crisis, when the majority of other EV charging tariffs were taken off the market completely.

The introduction of the Government’s Energy Price Guarantee is a welcome development — it will help millions of homes across Britain this Winter.

However, because all our Octopus Go and Intelligent Octopus rates are below the Energy Price Guarantee cap, your Go rates aren’t changing: you’re already paying less than Energy Price Guarantee rates for your electricity.

We’ll automatically reduce your October Direct Debit by £67 as part of the Energy Bill Support Scheme. This reduction will be matched with a £66 monthly credit from October, rising to £67 from December to March, paid directly to your energy account by the Government.

If you are having difficulty paying, make sure you’re getting the support you’re entitled to. This blog post outlines all the help available from the Government, Octopus, and others, plus how to access it.

To help reduce the cost of driving your EV, we’re giving 5% off all public charging on Electric Universe for Octopus Go customers from October 8. If you’re already an Electric Universe customer, you don’t need to do anything — this discount will apply automatically.

If you’ve not signed up for Electric Universe yet, get access to over 300,000 public chargers, £10 free charging credit, and your 5% discount by signing up here.

Cheaper, greener energy is why Octopus exists.

I know, despite Government help, this winter will still be tough for many. We will continue to do everything we can to help our customers through the crisis.

We’ve stopped advertising on TV, bus stops, train stations, sports arenas and online, and are redirecting all these funds to help customers who are struggling.

We’ll use these funds to provide a standing charge holiday for up to 100,000 customers, for up to 6 months, depending on need. We’ll share more about this new program soon.

This ensures if you need support, you will get more of it.

We’re also introducing our Energy Helpers service who will visit up to 500,000 customer homes this winter to give personalised energy efficiency advice.

Kind regards,
Greg Jackson
Founder, Octopus Energy

PS. In the current environment, it’s important you get the support you’re entitled to. We’ve put together this blog post which outlines all the help available and how to get it.

PPS. I’ve had a few queries about why we haven’t announced this sooner. In all candour, we received the details of government schemes about 15 days before customers on Flexible Octopus would see price rises.

With almost 3 million affected customers, dealing with all the permutations was complex and we had to prioritise them as prices for these customers were rising.

It’s also taken longer on Octopus Go, Intelligent Octopus and our smart tariffs whilst we worked our way through the government rules to spot any possibilities for further incentivising off-peak usage.

Continuing to do all we can to push the best solutions for electric vehicles is a massive focus for us, which is why we’re introducing the Electric Universe discount, and why it’s worth trying Intelligent Octopus when your fixed term finishes up.

-----

So we got that today considering it all change all change on Saturday I reckon crystal ball isn't fully operational (well it is a beta after all)
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Bubbles Murray
Location: 200 miles due north of Mecca ( Bingo Hall, Barking Road )
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Bubbles Murray »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:13 pm Just logged on to my Octopus account, enabled the crystal ball mode, and had a look at the forecast.

I wish I hadn't.

Don't forget, Octopus do state that they haven't factored in the Government Price Cap on the Crystal Ball yet.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Bubbles Murray wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:52 pm Don't forget, Octopus do state that they haven't factored in the Government Price Cap on the Crystal Ball yet.
Not much of a crystal ball then is it!
Bubbles Murray
Location: 200 miles due north of Mecca ( Bingo Hall, Barking Road )
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Bubbles Murray »

I have just found an email received on 21st September from my supplier, Octopus, which I had overlooked.

The PDF attachment has a personalised forecast for the next 12 months which includes the Government Energy Price Guarantee.

I presume other Octopus customers will have the same email.
MB

Post by MB »

As Evil warned a few pages back being able to afford the stuff is just one part of the issue. Supply is the other:

Pray for a mild winter!