Russian invasion of Ukraine

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Re: Russian invasion of Ukraine

Post by Billydinho »

bonzosbeard wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:31 am Any sources for that?
It was The Daily Mail (I know, I know) but whenever there’s ‘credible intelligence’ cited it usually is something credible.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Shy Ted wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:40 pm In Ukraine, President Zelensky has announced that he is requesting fast-track Nato membership after Vladimir Putin attempted to annex four Ukrainian regions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-63077272

Escalating. :chin:
Should have been done 6 months ago
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2192 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

sendô wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:37 pm Yes, I've got to admit I'm much the same. I'm absolutely fascinated by many aspects of human history, and of course warfare and military tactics is a big part of that. I've read countless books, articles, seen programmes, videos etc on many wars, battles, campaigns and so on all throughout human history. The tactical side of it in particular. Unfortunately when you see events like this war today, it's easy to get wrapped up in the tactical and strategic side of it and forget the human element.
If that floats your boat and you haven't already listened to it, I think you'd really like the podcast link I posted a bit further up
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Dimension Diver
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Dimension Diver »

This reminds me of George Bush's Mission Accomplished photo op... if the Iraqi Army had been undefeated, the Americans had retreated from Bagdhad, had just been routed by the Iraqi army in a blitzkrieg counterattack, and had just been encircled in a small Iraqi town by the Republican Guard.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by vietnammer »

jastons wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:07 pm Should have been done 6 months ago
(on Ukraine's NATO application). Don't think it's a given. NATO is a mutual defence pact and would be obliged to declare war directly on Russia. All parties know they're trying to avoid that and it may be a main reason for Putin's rumblins about 'all means at our disposal'.

Best hope is for some kind of Kremlin coup. They can't all be 100% behind Nut Job unless it's out of fear.

Was in nappies during Cuba, anyone think this is equally scary?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

vietnammer wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:44 am Best hope is for some kind of Kremlin coup. They can't all be 100% behind Nut Job unless it's out of fear.
Can't see that happening mate. Putin has surrounded himself with poodles and puppets who hang on his every word from what I've seen. Any dissent is quickly nipped in the bud. If it was ever going to happen, Russia would need to be on it's knees and I fear Putin would use his nuclear weapons if it got to that stage.
Not yet. The Cuban missile crisis was seen as a direct threat to the USA and was a game of brinkmanship. I think the realisation that the USA was not messing around and the threat of mutually assured destruction was a real one, quickly put the Russians back in their box. This war is different (at this stage anyway).

I remember I asked my mum about the Cuban Missile Crisis and what she thought of it. She replied haughtily "I was too busy bringing up three children to be concerned with the 'effing Cuban Missile Crisis". It was then that I pointed out that the Cuban Missile Crisis actually took place in 1963 and she didn't have her first child until 1967. I should have known better really, when JFK was shot, somebody told her that Kennedy has been shot. She thought they were talking about Edgar Kennedy the comedy actor and went round telling everyone who hadn't heard the news. :cried:
taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by taust68 »

I don't blame anyone for not reading the news about all this kind of stuff, all it does is stress you out, like someone else said scary times
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

Lyman is liberated and sounds like a lot of Russians died trying to retreat. Now let's see if this starts a roll up down the frontline.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Honestly Putin, you silly old fool, who do you think you're kidding? That rant yesterday, didn't even fool your audience. They looked on bored and unconvinced and now you're veild threats, dismissed by the West, while your troops are running for their lives across the borders
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

vietnammer wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:44 am
Joe Biden was in college during the Cuban Missile Crisis. So was I. He didn't miss out on the lessons.

Dimension Diver

There's a grim eyewitness account of an International Legion fighter about the attempted Russian retreat from Lyman. I won't link it since it's a bit depressing. They talk about a complete slaughter, hundreds of dead Russian troops, being sick of killing people. Dreadful stuff. Reminds me a bit of the "Highway of Hell" in the Gulf War, except that the slaughter and misery is up close.

Putin and his enablers have a lot to answer for.
RayleighIrons
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by RayleighIrons »

Could you send the link? Either here or via PM if you wish.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

RayleighIrons wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:51 pm Could you send the link? Either here or via PM if you wish.
If it's as grim as the poster is saying, then it most certainly isn't going to be on here.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I have a mate in Germany who regularly sends over equipment to the Ukraine and is best mates with a soldier over there. He has met dozens of other soldiers who come over to his place when on R&R. He's sent me some shocking footage of what's going on over there, truly horrific stuff. War is hell, there's no glamour or glory, certainly not in this war.
RayleighIrons
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by RayleighIrons »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
MB

Post by MB »

Sounds like a breakthrough in the South now as well. Up to 25,000 Russians could be trapped. At the very least they won't be leaving with their heavy equipment.
Dimension Diver

The collapse of Russian lines in Kherson actually looks faster than the Kharkiv blitzkrieg. Apparently hundreds of 'mobiks,' newly mobilized troops with no training, are surrendering. Russian troops are reportedly also now running as soon as they're shot at. You have to wonder if the influx of untrained and unmotivated mobiks is actually making Russia's lines less solid rather than more solid.

1.5 million sets of Russian winter gear have also 'gone missing' from storage. I know that I'd be surrendering as quickly as I could if I wasn't given winter gear because some general had pocketed the money he was given to buy them.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

Dimension Diver wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:00 am The collapse of Russian lines in Kherson actually looks faster than the Kharkiv blitzkrieg. Apparently hundreds of 'mobiks,' newly mobilized troops with no training, are surrendering. Russian troops are reportedly also now running as soon as they're shot at.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5IuEB4QOCxU&t=338s

CNN article stating very similar - fully working tanks and armoured gear just being abandoned.
MB

Post by MB »

JerseyHammer wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:40 am https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5IuEB4QOCxU&t=338s

CNN article stating very similar - fully working tanks and armoured gear just being abandoned.
Continuing their role as the largest provider of military aid to Ukraine. Going to be some seriously good kit left behind on the Southern front if (when?) that collapses.

I'm amazed the Ukrainians have managed to maintain the momentum. They must be suffering casualties and while internal, they still.havw supply lines to maintain.

Meant to be cold out there today so we may see things settle soon so possible they are grabbing as much as they can before then.