West Ham Utd 2-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers (1/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 971 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Wolverhampton Wanderers: match thread

Post by Lovejoy »

Again, an absolute must win. I have zero confidence he’ll get the side right & I expect Wolves to dominate the game.

0-2
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

6 home league games without a win, that simply has to stop. Been a few rumours over the International break that he'll look to change things and I hope for his sake and ours, he does so.

--------------------------Fabianski----------------

Kehrer----------Zouma----------Ogbonna----------Cresswell

--------------------Rice----------Paqueta----------------------

Cornet--------------------Fornals--------------------Benrahma

--------------------------Scamacca-----------------------------

I think however, Coufal will start at RB, Soucek will be in the middle with Rice and I actually think he'll play Cornet on the left and Bowen on the right with Antonio upfront. I wouldn't be surprised if Paqueta doesn't start either.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2180 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Hi. UTJ. Sent you an email :newthumb:
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3190 likes
Total likes: 2329 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:50 am Apart from the Everton game, when has Soucek performed badly so far this season for us? I might be totally wrong, but I thought he was much better this season bar v Everton?
I'm on my own here, but I actually thought he did ok against Everton too. He and Onana cancelled each other out, which is pretty much the best we could expect from that battle, and should have helped us win the game if even one of our creative players hadn't been terrible.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Massive game for Moyes today and I think we’ll know a lot about his future from his starting XI. If he persists with the likes Cresswell, Coufal, Soucek and Fornals (which I think he will) then I can’t see how we win the game and the pressure will really start ramping up.

If he ditches his favourites and sets the team up to really give Wolves a go, then 1) I believe we have a better chance or winning, and 2) it shows the Board and fans that he’s willing to mix things up.

Hoping for a win, but think a draw is more likely - Wolves will try and dominate the ball in the middle with Neves, Moutinho & Nunes, and use their pace to get behind our full-backs - if we’re able to get at their defence (without Collins) then we could cause them issues.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 874 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Two teams at the wrong end of the table and both finding goals hard to come by. All the signs point towards a goal less 90 minutes but for no fathomable reason I feel there could be goals in this.
Time for a change, Paqueta and Scammaca both started for Brazil and Italy respectively this week, time to let the dice roll.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3023 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:27 am I'm on my own here, but I actually thought he did ok against Everton too. He and Onana cancelled each other out, which is pretty much the best we could expect from that battle, and should have helped us win the game if even one of our creative players hadn't been terrible.
I thought he was very poor on the ball. Treated like a hot potato, atleast twice he put us under real pressure by panicking unnecessarily.

One thing Wolves do well is keep the ball and we can't be giving it back to them cheaply.

I don't think they have loads of pace up top with Hwang out. Only Traore and he doesn't fit their style.

We should be able to afford to play a bit higher up the pitch. Don't let their ball players knock it around infront of our penalty area. Kalajdzic will want to play in the penalty area. He isn't quick so again keep him as high up the pitch as possible. You could maybe argue with a high line with 2 CBs and stick Soucek in front of him to win the high balls. Better than 5 defenders imo.

They are struggling to and drop into the bottom 3 if we win. We cannot give them the ascendcy.

Edit: Just the thought of us dropping deep and Kehrer picking up Kalajdzic could cause havoc. Kehrer RB with Zouma + Oggy/Daws 🙏
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Kalajdzic is out for 9 months so we won't have to worry about him.

A huge game today, same old rubbish from Moyes and I could see us being played off the park
El brooko79
Has liked: 3023 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

jhammers wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:51 am Kalajdzic is out for 9 months so we won't have to worry about him.

A huge game today, same old rubbish from Moyes and I could see us being played off the park
Really, who do they have upfront. Just Costa?
Surely his pace isn't what it was. Don't give him sight of goal
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3034 likes
Total likes: 2681 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

One of those season defining matches early in the season. And a clear test of character for the team and key players.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

With the train strikes occurring today, did the club consider paying for some coaches to pick up supporters from different areas of London, Essex and Kent to take the supporters to the stadium? Or would that have been too easy?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

funky chicken wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:03 am With the train strikes occurring today, did the club consider paying for some coaches to pick up supporters from different areas of London, Essex and Kent to take the supporters to the stadium? Or would that have been too easy?
Trying to get hold of a fleet of coaches and bodies to drive them on a train strike day wouldn't have been easy in the slightest, even if the club wanted to.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 4731 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Kalajdzic is injured and Collins is suspended, leaving them very light in defence and up front.
Bubbles Fortuna

Looking at their Squad I genuinely don't know who replaces Collins at the back. Their defence is atrocious.

After Semedo, Kilman, Collins and Ait-Nouri they only have youth players.
Bubbles Fortuna

The Club's Facebook page using Scamacca to promoted today's game.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

-DL- wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:06 am Trying to get hold of a fleet of coaches and bodies to drive them on a train strike day wouldn't have been easy in the slightest, even if the club wanted to.
You should borrow your bus and give fans a ride!

I’ve only just realised this is 5:30 KO so at least those struggling to get there have an option. I’ll be watching and agree with an above post saying it’s must win. Undue pressure!
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

El brooko79 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:55 am Really, who do they have upfront. Just Costa?
Surely his pace isn't what it was. Don't give him sight of goal
I presume Jimenez is injured then?

Don't think Costa has played this calendar year.

I'd never heard of Kalajdžić until now. That's bad luck RE his ACL on his debut!
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

-DL- wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:06 am Trying to get hold of a fleet of coaches and bodies to drive them on a train strike day wouldn't have been easy in the slightest, even if the club wanted to.
Don’t get me wrong, I am not being unreasonable enough to expect to have enough coaches to pick up let’s say even 50% of the fanbase who are or were planning to go today. But I don’t see why they could not have made a little bit more of an effort to supply a few coaches. They’ve done it before taking 1000s of supporters to previous play-off finals, or the FA Cup final.

Very strange behaviour from the club to not do more, or even attempt to have the fixture moved, when they surely know they won’t have as much supporters going as they would have if it wasn’t for these strikes.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

I just want to see higher energy and intensity from us and the rest will fall into place.
:hamm:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

funky chicken wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:44 am Don’t get me wrong, I am not being unreasonable enough to expect to have enough coaches to pick up let’s say even 50% of the fanbase who are or were planning to go today. But I don’t see why they could not have made a little bit more of an effort to supply a few coaches. They’ve done it before taking 1000s of supporters to previous play-off finals, or the FA Cup final.
I'm not quite sure you're getting how difficult it is to get coaches on a train strike day, and even if there are coaches sitting in a yard without wheels turning, there's probably nobody to drive them.

You need to remember that companies like National Express, MegaBus, and FlixBus are all running extras today because of the train strike - it's easy money for them - so they'll be subbing out the work to smaller coach companies as they physically don't have the drivers or vehicles to do so - and that's without the usual Saturday and Sunday football fans coaches, excursions, etc, etc - and some of these small companies are contractually required by the bigger companies to have vehicles and drivers on standby, in case of breakdowns or delays to other services so they can jump in and take over. Then of course, the companies also have their bread and butter week day contracts as per usual, so the drivers they do have won't be able to do a work rest day, as many drivers in the last two weeks have already done extra work because of events like the queen's laying in state, her funeral, etc. They're limited by law as to how many days a week/in a two week period they can work. So with respect, you are being unreasonable to think the club could just click their fingers and magic vehicles and drivers out of thin air, no matter how few.