✍️ Welcome Lucas Paquetá - Our Brazilian Magnifico

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

jastons
Has liked: 893 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Re: Lucas Paquetá - Our Brazilian Magnifico

Post by jastons »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:39 pm Moyes has never had a player like him before, therefore he hasn't the first idea how to use him
How should he be using Paqueta?
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by JonG86 »

jastons wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:45 pm How should he be using Paqueta?
As an attacking 8.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 228 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Tite used him in an advanced position on the left wing vs. Tunisia yesterday, where he seemed fairly isolated and uninvolved.

So, not there?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

JonG86 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:47 pm As an attacking 8.
Just as Southgate played Rice alongside Bellingham. I reckon it could work well and looks balanced on paper. Worth trying sometime to see how they get on.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1943 likes
Total likes: 600 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

steveyrockstar wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:55 pm A tad harsh if the suggestion is that Moyes can't manage 'big talents'.

Arnautovic thrived under Moyes. Bowen and Rice have improved immensely under Moyes. Antonio had a second coming under Moyes.

Some players just work well with certain managers in certain systems. Moyes has been successful with some, not with others. It's wrong to write off Paqueta under him yet for sure.
When I say talent,I mean players that are technical and Skilful,not big personalities.Your Brooking's,Devonshire's,Payet's.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Tezza65 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:32 pm When I say talent,I mean players that are technical and Skilful,not big personalities.Your Brooking's,Devonshire's,Payet's.
You might disagree but I’d include Arnautovic and Bowen in that category, personally.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:15 pm If its bull****, then why isn't he playing him, where he should be playing him?
No idea why he's not playing him, I would imagine there's a good reason be it fitness, understanding the system etc etc what it isnt, is this BS view (based on no facts), that Moyes doesnt know what to do with "technical players" that you keep banging on about.....

Where should he be playing him? I thought the bloke could literally play anywhere in midfield, so I suppose the answer is, wherever Moyes deems he's needed
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

steveyrockstar wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:05 pm You might disagree but I’d include Arnautovic and Bowen in that category, personally.
Seemed to do a decent job with Lingard as well... agree with your points
Estuary
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Estuary »

Tezza65 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:32 pm When I say talent,I mean players that are technical and Skilful,not big personalities.Your Brooking's,Devonshire's,Payet's.
Rooney, Saha, Arteta, Cahill, all big talents. They played over 600 games for Everton under Moyes.
Estuary
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Estuary »

Ozza wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:27 pm Seemed to do a decent job with Lingard as well... agree with your points
And he got Lanzini flying during his first spell with us, it's just nonsense to define him as a coach who neither recognises or can utilise gifted and talented players.
Paqueta on the ball hasn't found his feet at all, is looking to take to long, with to many touches and losses the ball and is compensating with hard work defensively, which is a good attitude to be sure.
The point re our current gifted players, Benrahma for example, he's a three quarter good player, quality until he has to pass the ball and play someone else in on goal, at which point he tries the little oblique slide pass(every single time!!!) and it gets cut out and as its nearly always at a key moment it hurts us, which is what Moyes and anyone else who is actually looking see's, Payet, Dev, Berkovic, Di Canio make that pass, even under pressure, that's the issue with our current "technical" players, they are pound shop Berkovics.
This Brazialian kid may be the new Berkovic, but its very early and so far he's more David Kelley.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1872 likes
Total likes: 471 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Estuary wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:06 pm And he got Lanzini flying during his first spell with us, it's just nonsense to define him as a coach who neither recognises or can utilise gifted and talented players.
Yep, I agree.
Estuary wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:06 pm This Brazialian kid may be the new Berkovic, but its very early and so far he's more David Kelley.
You reckon he has a future in writing for TV? :smiler:
Take It to the Limit
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Take It to the Limit »

Playing him for full games would be a start 😂.
Seriously though, the options with a fella like this are aplenty.
I’d like to see at least 3 in front of him..
Bowen or Antonio on the right, Scamacca in the middle, and Benni or Cornet on the left. I’d have Rice and Downes or Soucek just behind him.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Puff….. cough cough!!!
Kermit
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 342 likes

Post by Kermit »

Early days but so far nothing to justify the hype, not to mention the big fee. I read somewhere that he would transform the team in the way Payet did when he arrived but whereas Payet showed his undoubted quality in his first 45 minutes at The Emirates on debut Paqueta has, so far, not stood out as anything special. But, as I said, early days.

One thing I do like about the bloke is his willingness to work hard when we're out of posession. Whic is happening too often for my liking, but that's another story, and possibly one of the reasons we haven't seen Paqueta at his best.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by hammers92 »

There’s a big difference between Paqueta and Payet because they played in different positions and expected to do different things.

Considering he knows very little English, it’s been a decent start. When he strikes up an understanding with the players around him then we’ll see the best of him.
claretnblueglasses
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by claretnblueglasses »

Whilst he hasn't hit the heights yet, what I like about him is the first thing he looks to do when receiving the ball is play it forward. He was better yesterday and played some nice passes, particularly a first time ball to Bowen in the first half.

I fear though that he won't ever live up to his full potential while at West Ham because our system just won't allow it. We play far too deep to maintain any kind of possession and surrender it easily, whilst he has played his best football being at the heart of possession-oreintated sides such as Lyon and Brazil.

Whilst Soucek played great yesterday, and does have that performance in his locker, I still feel that it would be more beneficial in the long run if we took him out the team and brought a better ball-player in the middle so that we don't constantly have our backs to the wall and have to rely on counter attacks.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Played a lovely low pass across the penalty area yesterday - shame it took everyone by surprise, including all of our players! Players improve as their teammates develop understandings with them. That takes a bit of time sometimes. Same with Scamacca. Once they are on the same wavelength as the rest of the team, we'll be a really good to watch. There were signs yesterday that this is starting to happen.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

We’re going to have to be patient with him. It can’t be easy going from having Antonio in front of you one week to then Scamacca, who both play in a slightly different way. But he started to show some really good signs last night.

Would like to see how he would get on playing a bit deeper. Maybe this Thursday would be the perfect opportunity.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

He's a more subtle player than I realised, yes he hasn't stamped his authority on a game but there have been some lovely moments that show his quality is there. The first touch perfectly weighted through ball to Bowen in the first half. Yes he isn't lighting up games, but it's not like he's hurting us by persisting with him as he adapts to the league. He's putting in solid, if unremarkable, performances. I'm confident we'll see a lot more from him if we keep giving him minutes.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

This may have already been picked up but Having watched a few games now I've noticed how there is a connection building between him and Rice and I think Rice will relish the challenge of paqueta pinging balls to him between the lines in midfield and vice versa, thus starting some very dangerous attacks.
I could be miles off but I just wonder if the arrival of paqueta could be the key ingredient for Rice's evolution to become a more attacking player which is something he clearly craves.