Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Re: Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Post by Arnold Layne »

That’s the wrong one, you want the red label sparkling ale.
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

Voll-Damm doble malta märzenbier.

Extremely flavoursome but at 7.2% abv it’s way too punchy for my palate.

I’m preferring the Estrella Galicia 1906 on tap. Just wish they’d serve it a bit warmer.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

A bit of a strange exbeerience yesterday, I popped the cap off a 500ml bottle of Darkstar American Pale Ale and the ****ing thing exploded everywhere, three quarters of the bottle gushed out all over the place, up my shirt and the floor, luckily I opened it in the futility room otherwise it would have been double bad.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:10 pm I have been watching way too many Bands, Bikes and Booze Reviews.
I was watching his Budweiser review today but I had to pause it at the ten minute mark (I'll watch the rest later) and I'm thinking, TELL ME ABOUT THE F***ING BUDWEISER YOU JABBERING ****! He likes a tangent, doesn't he? :)
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Arnold Layne wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:59 pm A bit of a strange exbeerience yesterday, I popped the cap off a 500ml bottle of Darkstar American Pale Ale and the ****ing thing exploded everywhere, three quarters of the bottle gushed out all over the place, up my shirt and the floor, luckily I opened it in the futility room otherwise it would have been double bad.
I assume that is a typo, but what a lovely idea!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

last.caress wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:05 pm TELL ME ABOUT THE F***ING BUDWEISER YOU JABBERING ****! He likes a tangent, doesn't he?
you obviously don't watch regularly ...

I have learned about the Royal Family, Prince Nonce, the Russian War machine, early settlers in various parts of Germany...

it's brilliant..

oh, and then occasionally I learn something about beer !!!!!!!!!

:crylol: :crylol: :crylol:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Visited my mates in London for a birthday celebration for the weekend.

Friday: Two Swans New England IPA - don't usually like these American style IPA but this one was outstanding. No fruit taste, very lighlty hopped, with a mild bitter flavour at the end. Brewed by East London Brewing and 4.6 ABV. Lovely stuff, stayed on it all night. Very easy to drink.

Saturday: started on the Lagunas IPA, which I liked then switched to Neck Oil, which was Ok. I didn't feel like switch more drinks after that so stayed on the Neck Oil. Enjoyable, a bit hoppy but an easy drink, but wished I stayed with the Lagunas.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

WHU Independent wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:20 pm Visited my mates in London for a birthday celebration for the weekend.

Saturday: started on the Lagunas IPA, which I liked then switched to Neck Oil, which was Ok. I didn't feel like switch more drinks after that so stayed on the Neck Oil. Enjoyable, a bit hoppy but an easy drink, but wished I stayed with the Lagunas.
when I was in the States, that was my tipple of choice....really enjoyed it.

there was also the Lagunitas Maximus but at 9% they aren't a guzzle...

owned by Heineken not really sure if it changed after they bought them..

https://www.hopculture.com/best-america ... right-now/

had the Ballast Point, enjoyed it

the Racer, nah not so much

the Deschutes, too "piney"

Dogfishhead 60 was okay. they also do a 90 which is very nice and I think up there at maybe 8 or 9%

the Voodoo Ranger, nah

the Sierra Nevada, yes indeed

Stone was I think my first American IPA. not bad iirc

I sound like GCRO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with less rants and digressions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crylol:

oh a lot of American beers are regional if they are a "micro" and then the distribution is a lot more difficult which in turn is why they sell out to a bigger distributor so it's more readily available....

just stumbled across this, GCRO might like the hop breakdown listed...

https://www.gearpatrol.com/food/drinks/ ... ican-ipas/
WHU Independent

WestMalle Trappist Triple 9.5 percent - lovely drop of beer. Like it alot. Helping the WHU V Anderlect game seem interesting. :)
WHU Independent

Followed by:

2 pints of the very ordinary Madri in the pub and the social club - best beer on tap at both venues by far, unfortunately - and I came home early as the atmosphere in both places was crap.

At home, I then opened a Hofbrau Original from Hofbrau Munchen 5/1 % - a Light, drinkable session beer, nothing spectacular.

Then on to a Kasteel Rouge 7%. I am not a fan of fruit in my beer. BUT I really liked this, the cherry taste was understated, not overpowering like some cherry beers and you can taste the beer throughout. Couldn't drink a lot of them though.

I thought I'd move onto a Bacchus 5.8 % which I was predicting I'd hate due to the fancy paper wrapper. I was surpised to find that this was also a cherry beer - I totally missed the cherries on the paper wrapper, the Biere Aux Cerises and Cherry Beer printed on the paper wrapper! - and it turned out that this was the perfect beer to follow the Kasteel Rouge! Again a beer with an understated cherry taste, that allows the beer flavor to flow through and a lovely cherry aftertaste.

After that lot, I'd done with drinking and went to bed. Slept like the dead - best sleep I've had for the last 4 days. Apart from the Madri, I think I've found the cure for my insomnia. And not bad as all 4 beers come to £9.00 at Morrisons where it's get 4 for the price of 3!
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Saturday afternoon... Wetherspoons... Stowford Press... £2.49 a pint... thangyouverramuch goodnight...
WHU Independent

3 pints of Stowford Press - decent - but not at those cheap prices above!

Now I'm home it's Timmermans Framboise Lambicus - 4% - which I am finding weak and incipid as cherry beers go.
WHU Independent

was followed by Kwak 1701 8.4% proof.

Kwak by name crap by nature. If I wanted a Carlsberg Special Brew, I woud have bought one. The same sickly taste, the same smell, but it is slightly different from CSB as it is a tad more watery. Won't be buyng this again.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

WHU Independent wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:58 pm WestMalle Trappist Triple 9.5 percent - lovely drop of beer. Like it alot. Helping the WHU V Anderlect game seem interesting. :)
Christ Windy do those beers come with a spoon to help drink?
WHU Independent

Jonah wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:53 pm Christ Windy do those beers come with a spoon to help drink?
Surprisingly enough they are not as thick as CSB or Tenants Super. The first strong beer was a lovely drink, the second was really crap - but it wasn't as thick as the aforementioned beers - and that was it's only saving grace. Imagine CSB but more 20% watery and you have it.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Had a 2/3 of this the other day in my local Micropub. Maddest beverage I've had for a while. Was like lime with mint. Very enjoyable but I'm not sure i could drink more than two in a 2/3 glass.

https://vaultcity.co.uk/products/key-lime-pie-1
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

GP Micro CB311 ?
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Arnold Layne wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:03 pm That’s the wrong one, you want the red label sparkling ale.
Loved that when I was spending time down-under, the little twist of the upside down bottle to release the sediment, pop the cap and pour it in. Maximum refreshment on stinking hot Adelaide day.

Never managed to get one 'up-over', the green one is acceptable but once you've went Red Label it's hard to go back.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Jennings wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:33 pm I’m preferring the Estrella Galicia 1906 on tap. Just wish they’d serve it a bit warmer.
If you're ever in Galicia or Asturias in Northern Spain this is the locals choice and readily available, a bit of a mouthfull for a non-Spanish speaker to order - "Una botella de Estella Galicia mil novecientos seis por favor"

But worth the effort. Lovely stuff.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:07 pm Had a 2/3 of this the other day in my local Micropub. Maddest beverage I've had for a while. Was like lime with mint. Very enjoyable but I'm not sure i could drink more than two in a 2/3 glass.

https://vaultcity.co.uk/products/key-lime-pie-1