Netflix and Amazon Video

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Re: Netflix and Amazon Video

Post by Estuary »

Shabu wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:46 pm Line of Duty

What a fantastic show
First three seasons yes, the fourth is when it started to eat itself, the fifth is saved by Stephen Grahams presence, his performance alone is worth watching it for, a bit like stopping to listening to the fine orchestra on the deck of the Titanic, season 6 proves the old adage, they are still making this as they don't want to say no to their star writer and have him go to another Network with his new shows.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Estuary wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:15 pm First three seasons yes, the fourth is when it started to eat itself, the fifth is saved by Stephen Grahams presence, his performance alone is worth watching it for, a bit like stopping to listening to the fine orchestra on the deck of the Titanic, season 6 proves the old adage, they are still making this as they don't want to say no to their star writer and have him go to another Network with his new shows.
Funnily enough I just finished season 4 & was thinking the same thing but did love the ending.

Season 5 costs money so the Missus will probably buy it as she loved the show more than me & binged the lot rapido.

What other UK shows are like this? Anything from this century. Cheers.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Shabu wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:43 am What other UK shows are like this? Anything from this century. Cheers.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4192812/

:newthumb:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8201186/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

:newthumb:
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Blonde on Netflix

Brutal biopic of Marilyn Monroe. Pulls no punches and is very graphic. I understand it’s based on a book which used a fair bit of artistic licence but if half of it is true she had a pretty wretched life
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Shabu wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:43 am Funnily enough I just finished season 4 & was thinking the same thing but did love the ending.

Season 5 costs money so the Missus will probably buy it as she loved the show more than me & binged the lot rapido.

What other UK shows are like this? Anything from this century. Cheers.
Given I've just booted Jed in the nuts professionally, I'll recommend "The Bodyguard" which he also wrote, it's very very good, and a new one here called "The Capture" which is very "a la mode", or something with a bit more dirt under its finger nails, West Ham fan Irvine Welsh's "Crime". These are all fictional drama, if you want factual drama, (stands up straight to blow his own trumpet), "Manhunt" S1 and S2 where Martin Clunes steps right out of his comfort zone to play DCI Colin Sutton who solved two of the UK's highest profile serial crimes, both are written by Colin and Ed Whitmore, who is a fine crime screen writer. Acorn have these in the US.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Into the Deep - released today.

Behind the scenes film about the Danish Engineer Peter Madsen and the murder of the journalist Kim Wall on his Submarine.

[spoiler]
Very eye-opening how premeditated her murder was...and how close the documentary maker was to being the victim....Sick, psychopathic ****er.
[/spoiler]
S-H

Post by S-H »

Jonah wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:03 pm Into the Deep - released today.

Behind the scenes film about the Danish Engineer Peter Madsen and the murder of the journalist Kim Wall on his Submarine.

[spoiler]
Very eye-opening how premeditated her murder was...and how close the documentary maker was to being the victim....Sick, psychopathic ****er.
[/spoiler]

Holy ****!!

:shock:
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

We've been watching The Crown at casa.caress these last couple of weeks. Never fancied it myself but after her late Maj threw a seven mrs.caress wanted to give it a go so, we gave it a go.

And it's not too bad. Very well made, very well acted, easily watchable without my finding any of the storylines of particularly great interest. I mean, you know: World events, plus a few Windsor/Mountbatten-specific events on top. I get it. I'm finding it... how do I put this? "Meh", but at the top end of "meh". You know? It's okay. I'm happy to watch it bumbling along.

Last night, we get to series 3, episode 3. The episode is called Aberfan. Now, I'm aware of the Aberfan disaster of 1966 but largely in the abstract; as a father, I tend to flinch from real-life tragedies to children. I often feel like a piece of **** in doing so, in turning away from those who deserve at the very least to be remembered; but I'm... well, let's just say it: I'm too weak. I can't do these things without relating them reflexively yet (in my guilt-riddled mind) selfishly to my own kids. So yes, I know Aberfan was a mining tragedy, and I know a lot of kiddies died, but I have always baulked like a coward from looking it up, looking straight at it.

And now here we are.

And the kiddies on the telly are in their little classroom, all giggly and happy and cheeky, and they're finishing class and skipping off to their homes for what turns out to be the last time, and we've had a establishing shot or two of the mountain looming over the little classroom like Mount Doom itself and nothing of consequence has happened yet and I'm already knotting up and holding my head in my hands and forgetting to breathe, and the whole thing is playing out like a treacle-drenched nightmare where you'd scream at them and run into the telly and scoop them up and save them all from what's coming if only you could but you can't; you can't do a God-damned thing.

And now it's a new day - the last day for most of them - and the kiddies are back in the little classroom, giggly and happy and cheeky, and now the slurry from the soaked heap atop the mountain is thundering toward them, and the teacher sees it via that previous establishing shot way too late, and frantically tells the kids to get under their little desks, under their little desks, and they all do as they're told and some of them are crying, and the slurry crashes through the wall of the little classroom and buries it utterly in a fraction of a second, and all those little kiddies had were their little desks and it was not even remotely enough, and while my mind is reeling it occurs to me that I'm crying, really crying, and it simultaneously occurs to me that I don't know how long I've been crying, and mrs.caress is holding onto my hand and I think she might be crying but I'm too gutless to check.

So, yeah. From a previously rather quaint if well-made nothing of a show suddenly came one of the hardest hours of episodic television I've ever seen, with only maybe the first episode of Chernobyl anywhere close. This episode delivered a virtual mule-kick to the chest that couldn't have been more painful if I'd actually been kicked by a mule. We couldn't leave our evening's viewing there - it was just too upsetting - so we watched the next episode and it was maybe the dullest episode thus far (something about Phil the Greek's mum) and, tbh, that was probably just what we needed.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

James P wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:53 am Blonde on Netflix

Brutal biopic of Marilyn Monroe. Pulls no punches and is very graphic. I understand it’s based on a book which used a fair bit of artistic licence but if half of it is true she had a pretty wretched life
Didn't display her as perfect, but also showed clearly and in some depth how fame, 'the media machine' and not least male attitudes can pull and warp someone's life till they barely know who they are anymore.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

last.caress wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:23 am We've been watching The Crown at casa.caress these last couple of weeks. Never fancied it myself but after her late Maj threw a seven mrs.caress wanted to give it a go so, we gave it a go.

Last night, we get to series 3, episode 3. The episode is called Aberfan.
It's a shame something so emotive and powerful is tucked away in a TV show I will never bother watching :newthumb:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cobra Kai

Just binged the last four episodes of series 5
An absolute cheese fest but what a great ride. Johnny Lawrence is the man. Loved the scene in the stretch hummer with Daniel, Chosen and Johnny singing along to “Eye of The Tiger
Can’t wait for next series
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Just started watching a show called UNFORGOTTEN.

Another uk cop show from a few years ago.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Shabu wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:56 am Just started watching a show called UNFORGOTTEN.

It's very good.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Shabu wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:56 am Just started watching a show called UNFORGOTTEN.

up to the Sean Bean collaboration (from reviews, I didn't bother) Nicola Walker hasn't been in a crap series*. think they made maybe 3 series so far ?

a very good cast too.

*imvho that is.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Fantastic series with some great casting over the years. IIRC Tom Courtenay picked up a BAFTA for his role in the first series. The chemistry between Nicola Walker and Sanjeev Bhaskar is at the heart of the show though.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Unforgotten is like I've been in a time capsule myself.

So many actors who I last saw in the 80s or 90s now rather old.

Brilliant show so far.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 691 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

Shabu wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:10 pm Unforgotten is like I've been in a time capsule myself.

So many actors who I last saw in the 80s or 90s now rather old.

Brilliant show so far.
You are in for an absolute treat Shabu :newthumb:
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I watched a film called Exhibit A on Amazon. Although the story isn't very convincing, it is an intriguing film and does something different with the found footage concept. I won't give much away other than saying this isn't about ghosts, witches or aliens like the usual.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Just started The Watcher on Netflix.

Based on a true story.

chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 691 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

Mr Brannigans Phone

Netflix, based on a Stephen King short story. If you like his works, it’s a must see. Really well made, loved it