House of the Dragon

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Re: House of the Dragon

Post by MB »

Watched the latest one, but I didn't see it :crylol:

In all seriousness, a good episode which starts to set things up nicely.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

MB :lol: I played with the brightness/contrast, but wasn't the best was it!

Last 2 episodes they have jumped forward quite a bit in time and the story timeline jumps, like last series of GOT! I think it sets it up nicely for the two incest loving partners to kick it all on.
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Jonah »

Yep, best episode of this series so far I think.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Has been improving episode by episode, and this latest episode (7) has been by far the best so far, ending with a proper GOT twist.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Watched the latest episode last night, it's pretty good, but I remain a little disappointed overall as it has not grabbed me like GOT did.

Same as The Pacific after Band of Brothers, just not in the same league. I watched The Pacific again some years later and enjoyed it more as I did not have BOB in my head, think the same may happen with the HOTD.
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Jonah »

Great comparison Clackers.

Last night's episode had a few moments - "He can keep his tongue".....But I was expecting it to ramp up slowly from Ep 7, which it didn't. I also couldn't hear what the last dialogue was between Viserys and Alicent - despite me turning the TV up to 11.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

The building in this show into what will come is setting up nicely, I don't know how many seasons they have lined up but they are building it nicely.

I absolutely love Matt Smith as Daemon Targaryen he has that look about him where he could just do anything, he's playing the role well.

I also like the look of Aemond too (the one with the eyepatch) he's played by the same guy who played the Priest in the Last Kingdom.

When Viserys hobbled into the throne room I have to admit what a scene. Paddy Constine has done a fantastic job with the character.

Great cast, and I can't wait for the fights to come.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Was pleased to see Phil Daniels pop up in House of the Dragon.
MB

Post by MB »

Jonah wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:35 am I also couldn't hear what the last dialogue was between Viserys and Alicent - despite me turning the TV up to 11.
Something something Prince that was promised something something. Basically just told Alicent the family secret!
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

The link below explains the significance of what was said by Viserys and what was (mis)understood by Alicent.

https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/ ... e-meaning/
MB

Post by MB »

And Paddy Considine a shoe in for an award after that one. Has been brilliant throughout.
iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne »

MB wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:26 pm And Paddy Considine a shoe in for an award after that one. Has been brilliant throughout.
I must admit I didn't like him or his character at first. For a king he seemed to lack any authority. But you learn to sympathise with him a great deal. The walk up to his throne was marvellous.
iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne »

A lot of the show's events pass me by, certainly a lot of the smaller details. I must admit that the names and the relationships of the offspring sometimes adds confusion. I find that this Youtube channel's content is as interesting as the show itself in dissecting the shows.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AltShiftX/videos
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:51 pm A lot of the show's events pass me by, certainly a lot of the smaller details. I must admit that the names and the relationships of the offspring sometimes adds confusion. I find that this Youtube channel's content is as interesting as the show itself in dissecting the shows.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AltShiftX/videos
He did fantastic work on the Original Series. I also recommend him.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Paddy Considine and Matt Smith have been absolutely outstanding throughout. Especially Considine in the latest episode.
MB

Post by MB »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:01 pm I must admit I didn't like him or his character at first. For a king he seemed to lack any authority. But you learn to sympathise with him a great deal. The walk up to his throne was marvellous.
Have you read the book mate? He is played perfectly as he is meant to be that weak and awkward. A hard character to like, but as you say by the end you can only sympathise given he can see what will happen once he dies yet knows there is nothing he can do about it.

It will be interesting to see how close they stick to the source material as it only has broadbrush plot and plenty of gaps they can fill in.
MB

Post by MB »

simon hammer wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:42 pm Paddy Considine and Matt Smith have been absolutely outstanding throughout. Especially Considine in the latest episode.
I was really worried when I saw Matt Smith cast, but I think he has done really well.

TBF all the acting has been top notch.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

couldn't stand either of the characters or the actors portraying them so I had to bin it off after maybe 3 episodes.

but that's just me.

sorry but I was looking forward so much to this and was so bitterly disappointed in it...

held absolutely ZERO interest for me. couldn't find ANY character that kept me into the show..

:cried:
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:32 pm held absolutely ZERO interest for me. couldn't find ANY character that kept me into the show..

:cried:
I really wasn’t a fan early on but it has substantially improved as it’s moved on. It’s not GoT season 1-2 but is now better than season 7-8

Like RoP both shows could have done without episodes 1-5 (or condensed them into one) just got on with it.
iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne »

MB wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:59 pm Have you read the book mate? He is played perfectly as he is meant to be that weak and awkward. A hard character to like, but as you say by the end you can only sympathise given he can see what will happen once he dies yet knows there is nothing he can do about it.

It will be interesting to see how close they stick to the source material as it only has broadbrush plot and plenty of gaps they can fill in.
Hi MB. Not read the books but I have read a few views from fans who are more connected with the books who say that the real meat of the story is being set up by this first series and there is a lot to get the teeth into later. HOTD flows very differently to GOT in the same way that Breaking Bad was different to Better Call Saul. In the end, I don't think I could pick one over the other in respect of BB and BCS. I appreciated them both, not expecting one to be like the other. I think the same applies here. The first few episodes of HOTD were certainly flawed but if things continue along this trajectory, I think those who stick with the show will forgive the early clumsiness. For those who dropped out, I would suggest giving it another go as I certainly changed my opinion after being initially disappointed and considered dropping out myself. There are aspects the viewer needs to adapt to like the time jumps but if you forgive these I think it becomes a rewarding watch.