Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I never thought I'd say this, but my interest in F1 is really on a precipice.

Sure I'm a Hamilton fan, and him not being so involved is a dampener, but I'm just watching races that are dull in a championship that is dull. We were promised better racing, but I can't see anything very different from last year. Some circuits we get a spectacle, many we do not. Normally I watch the whole thing on CH4, but as I was going out I watched Singapore highlights earlier on SKY, and just fast forwarded half the race. Apart from a few moments on damp areas it was naff, and just is another race that is quickly forgotten.

Of course it would have been a lot better had Leclerc kept in touch, and part of that is Ferraris, and his, faults. But if it turns out we have been robbed of a fight by cheating, well that will be a second year of a false result.

If F1 don't do something substantial should there have been a rule break, then I just won't see the point in following any more. No point in investing in something that isn't credible.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

My interest has certainly waned since last season, without a shadow of a doubt, and it's down to a multitude of reasons - the absolute ridiculous stewarding and officiating with absolutely no consistency on a race to race basis, the farce in Belgium in the race that never was where half points were rewarded based simply on where you qualified (which had an absolute direct bearing on The WC, as MV would have still been champion in AD if neither of them finished based on race 'wins'), the 'human error' of AD in which the championship was decided, the new 'Netflix' generation of partisan 'support', now it seeming as though RB have breached the budget cap, whilst everyone else in a front running team have stayed under it.

Just imagine if crap of this ilk was in football? I guess we should just count ourselves lucky we have the occasional contentious VAR decision to contend with.

Don't get me wrong, I do like a bit of controversy in F1, and it's had that since the championship started back in 1950 - but it seems to be becoming beyond a joke in the last few years.

Will the FIA or F1 Administration do anything about it? Of course not, why would they, when they have the new generation of fans lapping it up with record viewing figures and race attendances?

It's becoming a 200MPH WWE.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

-DL- wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:06 am It's becoming a 200MPH WWE.
The word 'entertainment' rather than 'sport' is used far too often to be a coincidence. I said this last year, at least WWE is honest about it.

As for today, nothing will happen. RB will get a fine and there will be mutterings about clarifying the rules for next year.

Oh look Honda and Red Bull are back 'together' :crylol: (got to admire their cunning)
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

Stories emerging on twitter that it comes down to interpretation and RB are in dialogue with the FIA - as I and many others predict, this won't be dealt with.
Bend it like Repka

It's an honest mistake guvnor. Can't see Ferrari and Merc accepting that.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:15 am It's an honest mistake guvnor. Can't see Ferrari and Merc accepting that.
I'm sure RB 'disappearing' for a few years like Ferrari did post 2019 will soothe it over.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Football - no costs caps, financial fair play aims to make the sport sustainable in the long-term, rather than create a level playing field - but at least we know that.

Rugby Union - salary cap aimed at creating a level playing field, to stop the rich clubs dominating the sport. Saracens were found to be in breach - they cited accounting interpretations as a defence - deducted 35 points are relegated.

Formula 1 - accounting interpretation as a valid defence? Even if all the other teams managed to do it properly? I see this may hinge on whether RBPT development was included or not, RBs non-partnership with Honda is the gift that keeps giving. Anyway, this is speculation.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

"Look, someone forgot to add a zero into the spreadsheet. As part of our cost cutting, I let Geri do the accounting. I mean, it's not my fault ****ing Toto has Susie doing it for Mercedes whilst I have a bloody pop star fitting it in in her spare time. Is it my fault she doesn't know how to ****ing count? Anyway, Ferrari are always taking the ****ing piss, and Toto is a miserable whinging f***, so why should Red Bull not get away with cheating all the time? Max is clearly the best anyway. Do you all want to go back to Lewis and Toto winning every bloody race again? Of course you ****ing don't." - Christian Horner, probably.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

sendô wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:10 pm "Look, someone forgot to add a zero into the spreadsheet. As part of our cost cutting, I let Geri do the accounting. I mean, it's not my fault ****ing Toto has Susie doing it for Mercedes whilst I have a bloody pop star fitting it in in her spare time. Is it my fault she doesn't know how to ****ing count? Anyway, Ferrari are always taking the ****ing piss, and Toto is a miserable whinging ****, so why should Red Bull not get away with cheating all the time? Max is clearly the best anyway. Do you all want to go back to Lewis and Toto winning every bloody race again? Of course you ****ing don't." - Christian Horner, probably.
For some reason I read that in Harry Redknapp's voice :dog:
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

They need a few more days to fudge it. (They set the deadline and can't even meet that.)

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-statement- ... ulations-0

"he FIA informs that the conclusion of the analysis of the 2021 financial submissions of the Formula 1 teams and the subsequent release of Certificates of Compliance to the Financial Regulations will not take place on Wednesday, 5 October. The analysis of financial submissions is a long and complex process that is ongoing and will be concluded to enable the release of the Certificates on Monday, 10 October. The Financial Regulations were agreed unanimously by all Competitors, who have worked positively and collaboratively with the FIA Cost Cap Administration throughout this first year under the Financial Regulations. As previously communicated, there has been significant and unsubstantiated speculation and conjecture in relation to this matter, and the FIA reiterates that until it is finalised, no further information will be provided. The FIA also reiterates that any suggestion that FIA personnel have disclosed sensitive information is equally baseless."
Bend it like Repka

Every day, another notch in the non credibility totem pole......

Edit, they don't want to ruin the Japanese GP do they?

Rather have him crowned there then deal with the fallout in the 2 week gap after.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1564 likes

Post by alf git »

Gutless.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

FIA = Fraud In Action
sendô

Post by sendô »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:43 pm Edit, they don't want to ruin the Japanese GP do they?

Rather have him crowned there then deal with the fallout in the 2 week gap after.
Exactly that. They'll be expecting Verstappen to clinch the title in Suzuka. Then on Monday they can announce the deal they've agreed with Red Bull.... errrm I mean punishment. Punishment for Red Bull.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

sendô wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:07 am Exactly that. They'll be expecting Verstappen to clinch the title in Suzuka. Then on Monday they can announce the deal they've agreed with Red Bull.... errrm I mean punishment. Punishment for Red Bull.
No deal is the correct word. Apparently if anyone has breached they are offered the chance to negotiate a settlement, if they don’t like that they can go to a independent panel (with judges appointed by the other teams) and if they don’t like that they can go to CAS. so they’ll settle at the first hurdle, it will all be ‘undisclosed’ and we’ll all happily move on.

The only thing to sort is the ‘sweetener’ the other teams will want to not kick up too much of a fuss (like Nerfing the ‘guilty’ for a year or two - Ferrari 2020 style).
sendô

Post by sendô »

The rumour doing the rounds now is that the breach was "only $150,000" and RB will get a $25,000 fine.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

sendô wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:37 pm The rumour doing the rounds now is that the breach was "only $150,000" and RB will get a $25,000 fine.
It sounds like the fake report that was all over Reddit yesterday. The 'judgement' was written by a five year old looking at the language.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Verstappen gets pole and away with another one as only reprimanded and not given a penalty for almost causing Lando to crash into him (or spin off into a barrier).

Clearly the FIA are doing all they can to get the drivers championship over this weekend.

I’d love to see somebody not in the title race accidentally collide with him tomorrow to keep it alive to the next race - only to see the FIA delay the cost cap report even further…
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

aaronhammer wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:46 am Verstappen gets pole and away with another one as only reprimanded and not given a penalty for almost causing Lando to crash into him (or spin off into a barrier).
I haven't watched this, first session of F1 I've not watched in years. IDK what Red Bull/Max have on the FIA but it is so ridiculous now. (Seen the infringement in Quali anyone else would have got at least 3 places, if not more. Was really, really dangerous)
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

It's ridiculous to be honest.

Also strong rumours that the cap breach is minor and will get a fine. Not surprised after the "collaborative" discussions that have been taking place.