Steve Thompson documentary

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Steve Thompson documentary

Post by EvilC »

I consider myself to have a pretty strong stomach, I'm happy to watch programmes on difficult and unpleasant topics. f*** me, this was absolutely horrifying. I don't mind admitting being close to tears and feeling sick at various points.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... tia-and-me

I'm not sure I'll be watching rugby again in the near future. And the powers that be need to make some big, big changes.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Re: Steve Thompson documentary

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I'm no rugby fan, but I did watch this. Horrible and sad.

Really upsetting to think he won't know his kids in a few years, they are so young.

It's crazy to think no-one seemed concerned with the damage being done in training.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1875 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Another sport where PED use is almost certainly rife, but rarely seems to be mentioned. Saffers are notorious for it, but they can’t be the only ones at it. Very sad for Thompson and the others, seems MND is uncommonly prevalent among rugby players too. A wonderful sport that carries horrendous risks and was, in hindsight, probably not improved by going fully professional.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:26 pm Another sport where PED use is almost certainly rife, but rarely seems to be mentioned. Saffers are notorious for it, but they can’t be the only ones at it. Very sad for Thompson and the others, seems MND is uncommonly prevalent among rugby players too. A wonderful sport that carries horrendous risks and was, in hindsight, probably not improved by going fully professional.
Not just the pros either. Rife in amateur rugby.

Imagine rocking up for a local Sunday game and getting your **** pushed in by a roided up bloke who's not even getting paid. ****ing ridiculous.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

I was told by someone that used to play with him that in his late teens a former England international, who racked up a lot of caps, was considered not good enough for top level rugby. So he took a year off, returned after some serious juicing, and was suddenly levels above where he was before.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Think Steve said it...a lot of it is the unnecessary hits in training,need to tone that down,leave it till match days,cos it's a great sport,
and it's a tough sport,there will be hits,but we can't have this....Regular Scans...2 weeks out with monitering anything nearing concussion.

Broke my heart last night,when he couldn't remember his kiddies name,just can't imagine that...and I'm seeing some of this stuff first hand at
moment,it's truly hard for someones loved ones to deal with.

Unfortunately at this moment in time there's no real answer to it,do the best you can, be patient with the person,cos they will hurt
you at times,try not to let them see you sad,try and smile and laugh things off..
Treat the person and talk to them as you normally would,keep them active,get them outside for walks,even if raining/windy whatever,
it's about keeping the senses firing and occupied.
Music,reading,puzzles,quizes on tv,all help thru the various stages.

Talk to people about it..be open,Knowledge and Awareness..all helps
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Shocking and amazing at the same time - Steve T deserves to be recognised not just as an England Rugby hero, but as a bloke looking to do good for his fellow athletes - a hero twice over. Wish him and his family all the best, even if the outlook is bleak.

Kudos too to the young Scot who made the decision to give up playing - that must have been heartbreaking, albeit the sensible decision.

Guess there's a fine line in sports like rugby and boxing where the determination to succeed at the highest level can possibly lead to massive problems further down the line. The authorities sometimes need to step in earlier.

All the best Steve - whatever you have to face in the future, please at least remember that you've helped and saved an awful lot of people from the same fate. God bless.
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

Not watched this yet but will do over the next few days.

My son packed up rugby at 23 due to getting 3 concussions in a year, one of the collisions lead to a fractured eye socket. He misses it a lot but knows its for the best.