What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by S-H »

I've tried 3 or 4 times now, to get into The Wire but It just hasn't grabbed me..

What am I doing wrong..
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I put off watching the last series for ages, knowing that once it was gone it was gone...

:cried:

however, as posted on here by several folks, the "epilogue" so to speak, is

WE OWN THIS CITY

yet again set in Baltimore. about a load of bent cops. who violently hassle normal citizens and drug dealers alike. great performance from Jon Bernthal who some may remember from early series of The Walking Dead.

very much in the same vein as The Wire. BUT.

We Own This City is an American miniseries based on the nonfiction book of the same name by Baltimore Sun reporter Justin Fenton.

IT'S A TRUE BLOODY STORY

:shocker:
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1152 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

S-H wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:14 pm I've tried 3 or 4 times now, to get into The Wire but It just hasn't grabbed me..

What am I doing wrong..
We never made it past the first couple of episodes so it's not just you.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Add me to The Wire reject list.

Watched half of season 1 and it just didn't grab me at all.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Ditto, 3 episodes of season 1. Was told to keep on watching but just didn't grab me. This was 15 odd years ago though.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Aww guys..

:heart:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

like loads of tv shows, some like things and some don't.

personally I got hooked fairly early and thought it was fantastic and well earned the ratings it's earned with critics and viewers alike.

but if it didn't grab you, I don't think any the less of you !!!!!

:crylol:
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1642 likes

Post by last.caress »

Took me until season five - largely thought of as the weakest season - of my first run-through of The Wire to really take to it. Some might wonder why I persisted for four seasons if I wasn't really feeling it but that's what happens when you're an old-fashioned physical media junkie who buys box sets blind. I own it now, might as well see it out.

That was three run-throughs ago. IMHO, The Wire is the finest show ever broadcast. Well, I veer between The Wire and Breaking Bad but, where BB - as brilliant as it is - has shown me all it's got, The Wire has felt like a new experience on each of the three occasions I've watched it.

All that said of course, Cuenca is quite right: Not everything is for everyone. Personally speaking, I've found The Sopranos a bit of a chore to sit through (I've got through that show 1½ times and it felt a fair stretch longer).
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

All 3 of them are on my reject list L.C! I even made it halfway through the final series of the Sopranos and just didn't bother finishing it. Got to the middle of series 4 of Breaking Bad and not even past the first episode of The Wire.

What I did watch last night however, is 12 Angry Men. Been meaning to watch it for ages and I'm very glad I did.

Also watched Bullet Train. Very silly, somewhat entertaining.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1152 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

'stone hammer wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:37 pm What I did watch last night however, is 12 Angry Men. Been meaning to watch it for ages and I'm very glad I did.
Great film, my missus loves it. We've never watched the Soprano's or Breaking Bad.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1642 likes

Post by last.caress »

'stone hammer wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:37 pm What I did watch last night however, is 12 Angry Men. Been meaning to watch it for ages and I'm very glad I did.

Also watched Bullet Train. Very silly, somewhat entertaining.
Cracking film, 12 Angry Men. I've been right into some classic movies lately. Watched the outstanding In Cold Blood (Brooks, 1967) last night. Not for the first time in that particular case, but I haven't seen it in years and it's way better than I remembered it. That said, I'm back on the genre pics now; I'm about to tuck into Police Story III: Super Cop (Tong, 1992), a Jackie Chan vehicle from 1992 co-starring the always brilliant Michelle Yeoh.

I've not seen Bullet Train yet but I'm very much looking forward to doing so.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I found The Wire season one to be challenging but engaging. But knowing it was demanding viewing I have never considered watching it again. I have tried to watch season two three times and stopped after episode one each time.

The Sopranos I watched the first season and didn't feel compelled to carry on.

Seems like we're all in the same club.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

last.caress wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:55 pm I'm about to tuck into Police Story III: Super Cop (Tong, 1992), a Jackie Chan vehicle from 1992 co-starring the always brilliant Michelle Yeoh.
Good film... that jump off the skyscraper at the end onto the ladder hanging from the helicopter - he made that jump with no wire or other safety precautions. The outtakes are always great on those earlier films.
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Each time I've watched The Wire it's felt fresh. 3 times now all the way through and each time I came out of it with a different season as my favourite.

For those who only managed one season, they are all very different, focusing on different areas of the city, but built around a core of characters. Generally speaking though, S3 is my favourite, largely because I think Hamsterdam is one of the most interesting (and almost certainly realistic) concepts tackled by a TV show.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Been working on Umbrella Academy whilst off sick the last few days. Season 1 is pretty solid, it has strong Doom Patrol vibes (not a bad thing.) It is not going to surprise anyone but looking forward to moving on to season 2. Seen far far worse.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I think it took me about 7 or 8 episodes of season one to get into The Wire. And that was the second crack at it after binning it the first go after about 3? It’s very slow but the juice is worth the squeeze.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

The Wire is very good. My favourite was season 2. That said, the final season was pretty dire and nowhere near the standard of the previous seasons.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Ronin (1998). Haven't watched it in at least 20 years, has aged incredibly well, largely due to the fact they were all practical car stunts, without a dot of CGI. Plot isn't enormously original, but who cares? Heists, ambushes, firefights and those magnificent Rémy Julienne car chase sequences. Only real downer is Jonathan Pryce's excruciating Norn Irelun "accent". De Niro's last watchable movie, too.
S-H

Post by S-H »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:29 am Ronin (1998). Haven't watched it in at least 20 years, has aged incredibly well, largely due to the fact they were all practical car stunts, without a dot of CGI. Plot isn't enormously original, but who cares? Heists, ambushes, firefights and those magnificent Rémy Julienne car chase sequences. Only real downer is Jonathan Pryce's excruciating Norn Irelun "accent". De Niro's last watchable movie, too.
Good film.