⚽ Liverpool 1-0 West Ham Utd (19/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2391 likes

Re: ⚽ Liverpool v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Ozza »

Whufc06 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:15 pm What confused me most was playing Downes as the most advanced of the 3 mids when his strengths are breaking up play and keeping possession whereas Soucek is the one that should be further forward arriving in the box. A little bit of hanging Downes out to dry for me there.
Probably because he can pass a football (or not apparently looking at the stats)
Last edited by Ozza on Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1212 likes
Total likes: 587 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Sticky wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:13 pm Sounds like having to miss tonight's instalment of 'The Happy Hammers' saved me a fair ol' slice o'frustration.

Sounds like we gave a good account of ourselves tho.

Things are only going to get better. It's important to remember that.
TLDR: first half grim. Second half much better. As per. :grin:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

It was first half **** second half good.

Once again we’re left wondering how we haven’t scored.
Westcountry
Has liked: 304 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by Westcountry »

Paqueta has confirmed his injury on his instagram acct.

Damaged his right clavical (shoulder) been for a scan and it’s a ligament injury. Expected 2 weeks out
mattyD
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by mattyD »

What's happened to Pablo?

We need Dawson, Oggy and Aguerd back... Kehrer right back. Sounds like Paq has broken his collar bone ... Edit, he hasn't.... I can't wait for the world cup break.

Second half a very good performance but ****ing hell we needed to score that penalty. Bowen's first penalty was hammered in the top corner... that was nearly a back pass.

Van Dyke digging up the penalty spot though... utterly classless as per.
Last edited by mattyD on Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3024 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Whufc06 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:15 pm What confused me most was playing Downes as the most advanced of the 3 mids when his strengths are breaking up play and keeping possession whereas Soucek is the one that should be further forward arriving in the box. A little bit of hanging Downes out to dry for me there.
Soucek covers a lot of ground, but isn't that quick footed.
Downes has a little burst of speed and more mobile.

I think he was ahead of Soucek because better at trying to press
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Sticky wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:14 pm How did Downes do?
Loves a spinning 360 degrees turn he does
Didn’t look out of place despite playing 20 yards in front of the possibly one of the worst Right Back performancs I in my 54 years of watching us
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

Simon_1982 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:52 pm Cardiff he had them on because it’s reactive. Our approach needs to be proactive from the start of the game.
Sorry to disagree but we don’t look a very good side. Rice is carrying this team most weeks.
After match interview with Moyes was interesting.

A question was asked & Moyes said his biggest disappointment is that we started off too slowly & let Liverpool dominate possession for a good chuck of the 1st half. So Moyes is NOT telling his players to defend deep or be negative early doors, as he wouldn't be calling it as a negative after the game. So this constant posting from Crouchend & Colours never run, of Moyes is telling his players to be negative or defend deep, is utter cack.

Unless Moyes is setting us to play deep, negative & defensive early & then he's criticising his own tactics after the match. 🤪. Don't be silly.

Moyes even put on Antonio & partnered him up front with Scamacca & brought on Benrahma. The 'Moyes is negative/dinosaur' have to be happy now? Nope. Its all now all about the result, as the 'negativity' stick to beat Moyes with, is dead tonight. If we got the result, it's then all about the tactics again. No win situation for DM.

We need to cut out the individual errors too many stupid ones tonight from Johnson, Cress & Kehrer.

I still believe, when our side truly clicks, we'll be an outstanding side.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Takeiteasy wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:16 pm I’d drop Soucek for Benrahma next match and start Rice + Downes in the middle of the park
well we defo agree on that!

no way on this earth Moyes does that though
Crouchend_Hammer

Ozza wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:16 pm Meh….. we dominated at Scouseland in the second half and they were lucky to get away from 3 points….. as I said I make the bosses interview spot on, they weren’t sitting back we took it too them
Your opnion so of course very valid

We will have to agree to disagree!
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 850 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Too many would have, could have and should have games already - Forest, Chelsea, Spurs, Southampton and now Liverpool
3 points from those 5 games, could very easily have been 11

Massive difference.

There is a feeling that we are ‘nearly there’ and are going to click soon. We need to get there sooner rather than later though. Hopefully Bournemouth might be the team that it all comes together and they get a proper pasting.

Obviously disappointed with the result tonight but some positives to take with Fab, Cresswell, Downes and Dec putting in solid performances with Dec back to his best. But I’m getting pissed off with looking for positives in defeats or draws that could have been better.

I hoped for a draw before kick off, feared the worst when Nunez scored and ended up thinking what might have been. That is all too familiar
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2391 likes

Post by Ozza »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:21 pm well we defo agree on that!

no way on this earth Moyes does that though
Yup because it would seriously reduce the height and defending in the side at a time when we cant put the same CB partnership out….. i reckon 95% of the managers in the prem league would do the same
Last edited by Ozza on Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer_Time1
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Hammer_Time1 »

Frustrating game. I don't know why I should have expected anything to the contrary- our win record at Anfield is unspeakably shocking, and Moyes' away record against the big 4/big 6 is equally so.

It always seems like we play better once we give our opponents their obligatory first goal of the game. Still, an encouraging performance in the second half. Fair play to Moyes to actually have the balls to play Scamacca (although he was crap) with Antonio and not subbing one for the other. Rice is different class- best player on the pitch.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

sendô wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:19 pm It was first half **** second half good.

Once again we’re left wondering how we haven’t scored.
And once again why Moyes gives the opposition a 45 minute head start.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2405 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

He pushed him up to put pressure on Thiago. Then when we’ve got the ball he’s in the number 10 position and with his passing ability can maybe fashion an opportunity. It actually worked well. Thiago influence was negated and he had the one chance to put Scamacca through and the run was slightly off. He should’ve done it earlier.

Defensive number 10. Scholes used to do it. And Gerrard.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1599 likes
Total likes: 1655 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Ozza wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:53 pm Seriously you’ve just watched that game and you come out with that tripe?
Yes. What do you disagree with?
Crouchend_Hammer

Cardiff here we come..... wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:21 pm After match interview with Moyes was interesting.

A question was asked & Moyes said his biggest disappointment is that we started off too slowly & let Liverpool dominate possession for a good chuck of the 1st half. So Moyes is NOT telling his players to defend deep or be negative early doors, as he wouldn't be calling it as a negative after the game. So this constant posting from Crouchend & Colours never run, of Moyes is telling his players to be negative or defend deep, is utter cack.
So, there is no way he could be stretching the truth then and not being truthful to cover his mistakes?

If he isn't pushing this as a tactic, maybe he could find out why his players keep disobeying him every week and do something about it

Antonio was very clear in what Moyes often tells them to do, unless of course he is just making it up
E15Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by E15Iron »

Out of words to describe how good Declan Rice is.
Crouchend_Hammer

Ozza wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:23 pm Yup because it would seriously reduce the height and defending in the side at a time when we cant put the same CB partnership out….. i reckon 95% of the managers in the prem league would do the same
I doubt it
I would say the amount of managers whou woulr prioritise the ability to attack over playing someine to defend corners, at home to Bournemouth, would be pretty high

Moyes would play Soucek every game even if we had our first choice CBs available
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1674 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Apparently we’ve had a better xg in 9/11 games this season. I know some don’t like these stats but it shows how wasteful we’ve been in front of goal this season.

On the flip side, you could say at least we are creating these chances. Eventually it’ll click and we’ll start scoring. Hopefully anyway. :lol: