The Strikes Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: The Strikes Thread

Post by mumbles87 »

hammers92 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:07 pm If our politicians had the same energy and desire to represent their constituents as Lynch does for his members, this country would be a better place for everyone.
It is amazing how against lynch people can be, he does the job he was elected to do

How many of our MPs can say they do that?

He gets the best deal for him members

The gov gets the best deals for their friends

Really don't get how anyone can support them .
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 189 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Yeah, it's not great is it?

Can only say that my postie is brilliant. Was covering other rounds during the pandemic, doing double shifts and so on. :newthumb:
Cornelius Beal

Post by Cornelius Beal »

smuts wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:22 am Yeah, it's not great is it?

Can only say that my postie is brilliant. Was covering other rounds during the pandemic, doing double shifts and so on. :newthumb:
Good chance you won't see much of your regular postie. The voluntary and compulsory redundancies will decimate the loyal experienced work force. Replaced by a mix of new starters on less pay and conditions and an army of casual workers. The service will be unrecognisable the company destroyed. The end of a 500 year plus institution. One than can grow and succeed instead of being killed by corporate greed.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

He gets it.
Cornelius Beal

Post by Cornelius Beal »

The Wright take.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Cornelius Beal wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:46 pm The Wright take.
Just thinking outloud do you see the likes of Gary Neville, Matthew Wright "getting it" because they are well off so see the struggles but are comfortable not to be affected. Where as a cleaner for example might see as selfish because "I'm not getting anything why should they"

Divide and rule from the top

Shame our MPs aren't full of people of people who get it rather than got to a level and just want to cream as much out of it as possible
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The bit everyone gets is how do you run a company in a declining industry if it is in private hands, and, alternatively, to what extent should the taxpayer subsidise the service if in State ownership.

And yes, I am aware there is part of this "business" that is highly profitable.

Undoubtedly the decision to leave the pension liabilities with the taxpayer was wrong - from a taxpayer perspective - and in the next act, pay a dividend to shareholders.

It's an utter mess.

But, putting aside who owns it, a question.

Does anybody really NEED their mail to arrive through the letterbox every single day?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:09 pm The bit everyone gets is how do you run a company in a declining industry if it is in private hands, and, alternatively, to what extent should the taxpayer subsidise the service if in State ownership.

And yes, I am aware there is part of this "business" that is highly profitable.

Undoubtedly the decision to leave the pension liabilities with the taxpayer was wrong - from a taxpayer perspective - and in the next act, pay a dividend to shareholders.

It's an utter mess.

But, putting aside who owns it, a question.

Does anybody really NEED their mail to arrive through the letterbox every single day?
My father is a retired postie , even considering him id say you could have deliveries of letters once a week maybe twice. Parcels every day tho ..

Really need to get people in the mindset of sending things via email ie the NHS email appointments not post them

Most things are done by email and if they move where possible to emails then those who don't have access would still get post but the load would be manageable

Doesn't mean need to not offer pay rises tho .. and when it comes to jobs you can diversify the workforce without cutting jobs completely. No compulsory redundancies for a start
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

hammers92 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:07 pm If our politicians had the same energy and desire to represent their constituents as Lynch does for his members, this country would be a better place for everyone.
But then whats in it for them..? :chin:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:18 pm My father is a retired postie , even considering him id say you could have deliveries of letters once a week maybe twice.

Doesn't mean need to not offer pay rises tho .. and when it comes to jobs you can diversify the workforce without cutting jobs completely. No compulsory redundancies for a start
But what do you do when insufficient numbers volunteer to go, and go within a reasonable timeframe ?
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:18 pm
Most things are done by email and if they move where possible to emails then those who don't have access would still get post but the load would be manageable

I agree with virtually all of this mumbles, but I still struggle with the last sentence. You're (rightly) proposing further reductions in mail usage in favour of email (of course already snail mail is massively down from a generation ago) but then saying no one should face compulsory redundancy.

If the current level of mail delivered fell by 90% would you still make the same argument?

This is where I have trouble with the sheer intransigence when conditions and business fundamentals change. Sometimes surely unions have to live in the real world instead of just saying no.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:53 pm But what do you do when insufficient numbers volunteer to go, and go within a reasonable timeframe ?
Offer a respectable offer and I'm sure those of a certain age will leave because it will benefit them. More people want to spend more time at home since covid and make the finances work for them.

You then don't fill vacancies and through natural wastage over time you get down to the numbers you require
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:00 pm I agree with virtually all of this mumbles, but I still struggle with the last sentence. You're (rightly) proposing further reductions in mail usage in favour of email (of course already snail mail is massively down from a generation ago) but then saying no one should face compulsory redundancy.

If the current level of mail delivered fell by 90% would you still make the same argument?

This is where I have trouble with the sheer intransigence when conditions and business fundamentals change. Sometimes surely unions have to live in the real world instead of just saying no.
When change is actively disgust and worked together rather than enforced things work much smoother.

Royal mail has changed ie parcels are a big part now. For example people's medication through post

Plenty of work around just snail mail that's fallen
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:14 pm Offer a respectable offer and I'm sure those of a certain age will leave because it will benefit them. More people want to spend more time at home since covid and make the finances work for them.

You then don't fill vacancies and through natural wastage over time you get down to the numbers you require
Ok

Three questions

1. How much is respectable

2. How long is it reasonable for the natural wastege to filter through

3. Why should Royal Mail workers be treated differently to other workers, at , say j,d, Wetherspoon's
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:30 pm Ok

Three questions

1. How much is respectable

2. How long is it reasonable for the natural wastege to filter through

3. Why should Royal Mail workers be treated differently to other workers, at , say j,d, Wetherspoon's
Don't you normally see when a weatherspoons closes people are offered work at another branch?

However they also are on terrible contracts with little projection

A company as profitable as royal mail id say a fair wastage policy would be 5 years. Considering how they can afford to pay the workforce. They just want more profit.

A reasonable amount should be at least 2 years wages .. for some that would be enough to be right that would see me until my pension
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

CWU recommends an end to BT strike action after reaching agreement on a pay rise worth between 6 and 16%. To be put to a. vote. £1500 consolidated pay rise for everyone under £50k.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2192 likes
Total likes: 168 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:38 pm Don't you normally see when a weatherspoons closes people are offered work at another branch?

However they also are on terrible contracts with little projection

A company as profitable as royal mail id say a fair wastage policy would be 5 years. Considering how they can afford to pay the workforce. They just want more profit.

A reasonable amount should be at least 2 years wages .. for some that would be enough to be right that would see me until my pension
I've said in the past that I'm pretty supportive of their strike action - but min of 2 years salary?! That seems very high.... Think even enhanced redundancy packages are some way south of that in most businesses no? Happy to be corrected....
delbert
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Depends on the tax take, when I was made redundant the first 30 grand was tax free, you got clobbered on the rest......
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2192 likes
Total likes: 168 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

delbert wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:02 pm Depends on the tax take, when I was made redundant the first 30 grand was tax free, you got clobbered on the rest......
Yeah think that's standard (might actually be less now) - but where I've worked is normally a month's pay for x number of months you've worked somewhere (with age multipliers at around 40 and 50) - but always capped. And am pretty sure it's less than 2 years....