WC of WH Players: Group 32

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Group 32...

Poll ended at Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:23 am

ENNER VALENCIA
No votes
ANDY CARROLL
No votes
MARLON HAREWOOD
17%
ALVIN MARTIN
83%

Total votes: 69

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Re: WC of WH Players: Group 32

Post by EvilC »

Tough draw for Harewood, who I was a huge fan of and was part of some of my best memories of the club.

Martin was pretty much my first footballing hero and narrowly got my vote.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Andy Carroll 😀
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Alvin Stardust for me.

Played in three different decades. 500 apps, cup winner, Boy of '86, unique hat trick.

Plus, he's got no hair but we don't care.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Korea Hammer wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:12 am
By the way, this can also be the thread for everyone to complain about players that were left out of the 128 :chin:
ha, I was genuinely having a think of who may have been left out. Was Hayden Mullins in it? Quite an unsung hero who served the club well.

Other than that, I'll have to keep thinking! (From my era anyway).
steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar »

Surely this poll is no contest? Alvin Martin may well have been my first ever fave player - loved his second coming as Neanderthal Man/Moses in the early 90s.

Harewood - defo likeable. Think it was a weird show of how he infuriated fans though that he scored 22 goals in our promotion season, yet didn't even get HOTY runner-up (a young Noble who played half the games of Harewood scooped that honour from memory!).

A great first season in the Prem though, but unable to maintain that form.

ah, he also scored the FA Cup SF winner vs Boro - still not sure I've ever celebrated a goal more! Oh, maybe Lanzini's vs Spurs.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:50 am Was Hayden Mullins in it? Quite an unsung hero who served the club well.
Yes, good shout. Definitely "bubbling under".
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:57 am One of the easiest choices so far.

Saw Stretch play for the reserves and he headed a ball that went the length of the pitch. He was being spoken about as a real prospect way back then. Won’t forget his away debut at Wrexham when he had a real stinker but look how he recovered!
After the game didn’t he get drunk to forget his performance in that game only to end up meeting his wife to be? By the way, I think his away debut was at Elland Road a few months earlier as we were getting relegated. I vaguely remembered him scoring in that game but just looked it up and he got two. As for the vote - Alvin obviously.
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:40 pm By the way, I think his away debut was at Elland Road a few months earlier as we were getting relegated.
Just checked and you’re right. I always assumed that Wrexham game was his first away game.

Did he really get drunk and meet his wife as a result? If so that’s a great story :newthumb:
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

Alvin is one of my favourite all time players. We used to say he was worth two players. A West Ham legend imo. None of the others in today's group stands a chance
Tvirons77
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Tvirons77 »

Alvin, all day long. Top, top centre half but always thought Marlon was great for us.
uptonspark
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by uptonspark »

Very easy decision to make today, the Bootle Cockney by a mile.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:58 pm Did he really get drunk and meet his wife as a result? If so that’s a great story :newthumb:
I just tried to Google it - put in ‘Alvin Martin wife Wrexham’. Came up with a Times report from 2021 behind a paywall but the blurb for it as Alvin quoted as saying he’d gone out after a game when he’d played really badly and met his wife Maggie and they’ve been together ever since.

It’s lost in the mists of time mate but I always had it in my head it was that Wrexham 3-4 game.

One thought on Alvin. He played really well against Paraguay in the ‘86 World Cup only to be dropped for a fit again Terry Fenwick for the hand of God game. I always wondered if Alvin had played would Maradona have waltzed so easily through that defence for his wonderful goal. Maybe, but as easily as went past Fenwick? Maybe I’m biased 🙂 but I doubt it.
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Dave I have banged the drum of your last paragraph for over 36 years
As for the vote Alvin Martin for me
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Enner Valencia? Meh

Marlon? A great buy and one of those players that hit the ground running with us and I’ll always treasure the memories of being at Villa Park for that Semi Final vs Boro when he smashed the ball in the back of the net to take us through to our first FA Cup Final in over a quarter of a century. He’s stayed loyal to us since he left and was always likeable.

Big Andy? Oh Andy, what might have been. Sadly he was made of glass and liked the ale too much. A proper old fashioned centre forward and the sight of him rising like the proverbial salmon to head the ball into the net with such ferocity was a joy to behold. The memories of that goal vs Palace and the hat trick against Arsenal in the farewell season at Upton Park live on. However, he just missed too many games and let’s face it, if he had been a player capable of a minimum 30 appearances each season at the levels we saw glimpses of, then he would never have rocked up at E13. I liked Big Andy too.

However, I bloody loved Alvin and this is another no brainer. Stretch was a born and bred Scouser who became an adopted Cockney and as one of the Boys of ‘86 will always have a special place in the hearts of Hammers fans. It was of course during that season when he bagged a famous hat trick against Newcastle with each goal past a different ‘keeper, the last being a penalty with Peter Beardsley in goal. I was stood on the North Bank that night and will never forget that night or that season.
He was a well established part of our defence by then, having made his debut in the relegation season of 77/78 and eventually becoming a permanent fixture in 79/80 season alongside Billy Bonds.
Still playing right up until 1996, he was West Ham through and through and depending on how the draw opens up is someone who could go deep into this tournament.
We didn’t care that he had no hair, we just bloody loved him.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Was thinking about the 86 Argentina game and also imagined if Stretch had been out there what would have happened...I never really rated Fenwick.

Worst offender for the Maradona goal is Peter Reid who just goes on a light jog alongside him for the duration. :lol:
Korea Hammer

Post by Korea Hammer »

Woke up in a cold sweat worried because I left out Gary O'Neil and Jussi Jaaskelainen! :horror:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Korea Hammer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:07 am Woke up in a cold sweat worried because I left out Gary O'Neil and Jussi Jaaskelainen! :horror:
steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar »

Korea Hammer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:07 am Woke up in a cold sweat worried because I left out Gary O'Neil and Jussi Jaaskelainen! :horror:
Stewart Robson?
Korea Hammer

Post by Korea Hammer »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:58 am Stewart Robson?
Yes, crossed my mind. 69 appearances,lots of injuries though. I thought about Mark Robson too but a bit surprisingly, for me anyway, he played even fewer games for us, just 47.
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Don’t want to add to the insomnia, but did I miss Steve Potts?