✍ Welcome Kurt Zouma

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Re: ✍ Kurt Zouma

Post by ageing hammer »

thamesideiron wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:37 pm Will this stop Daws moving in Jan...
I knew he was getting slower but if it takes him that long he is seized.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3039 likes
Total likes: 2684 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

The teams that were interested in Daws last summer have each changed their managers and some even their sporting directors.
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 615 likes

Post by NedN »

Do we know what the procedure he had done was?

If it was just a torn meniscus, you can play through that (see Masuaku), but it can cause further damage and while you can move it does make certain motions more difficult and running more labored.

As someone who has done that three times, from watching his running that’s what it looked like he was carrying to me.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Photos of Zouma back in with the rest of the squad after their holiday. Looks like that surgery was nothing more than cleaning up some niggles.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:08 am Photos of Zouma back in with the rest of the squad after their holiday. Looks like that surgery was nothing more than cleaning up some niggles.

I really hope that's true, yes indeed

Most of this thread highlights for me the strange way West Ham go about releasing injury/recovery info
I get it that, on the eve of a match, it's good to keep the opposition guessing, but when there's no
upcoming match for a month why not give the fans a realistic explanation of the injury and recovery time?
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:08 am Photos of Zouma back in with the rest of the squad after their holiday. Looks like that surgery was nothing more than cleaning up some niggles.
It’s probably just wishful thinking from me, but has the club done that often with players who are ruled out through injury?

Time will tell I guess.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

He can't seem to get through a game without limping or looking like hes injured.There must be something wrong with him or his fitness levels.

I would consider selling him in either this window or the summer purely on his physical condition not his performance levels when fit.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2391 likes

Post by Ozza »

w6hammer wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:52 am He can't seem to get through a game without limping or looking like hes injured.There must be something wrong with him or his fitness levels.

I would consider selling him in either this window or the summer purely on his physical condition not his performance levels when fit.
Do you think he’d get through a medical somewhere else with that knee?
BigFatSam
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 1096 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

He’s gonna be in a right old state when he’s 50. Fair play to him for carrying on, he looks like he’s about to break down every 2 minutes 😂
BigFatSam
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 1096 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

w6hammer wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:52 am He can't seem to get through a game without limping or looking like hes injured.There must be something wrong with him or his fitness levels.

It’s his knee’s. Doctors heavily advised us against signing him, although in fairness it doesn’t seem to impact his performances, but it does look very awkward and strange.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

BigFatSam wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:53 pm It’s his knee’s. Doctors heavily advised us against signing him, although in fairness it doesn’t seem to impact his performances, but it does look very awkward and strange.
How did we end up doing that then and pay so much to Chelsea if he was damaged goods
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3094 likes

Post by MB »

ageing hammer wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:59 pm How did we end up doing that then and pay so much to Chelsea if he was damaged goods
Because we negotiated for them to pay him a chunk of that money to him and he reduced his wage demands leaving us less exposed were his knees to completely go.

I suspect he has osteoarthritis so eventually will have to stop. The question is when is "eventually". I did my ACL at 15 and then again at 18. By 23 I was told I needed a zero impact lifestyle I.e. don't even run for a bus and then I'd probably get into my 60s before needing a knee replacement.

We obviously thought it was worth the risk to try and get X years out of him. The personal cost to him will be high though. Certainly won't be kicking cats in his 40s!
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

BigFatSam wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:53 pm It’s his knee’s. Doctors heavily advised us against signing him, although in fairness it doesn’t seem to impact his performances, but it does look very awkward and strange.
Like Andy Murray between points.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Like Andy Murray between points.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1784 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I think Zouma has been a very good signing taking into account his injury record.

I guess we’ll need to sign a CB anyway in the summer assuming Ogbonna also goes. Someone like Maguire would compliment them all really well and allow Zouma to sit out sometimes.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

I'm not denying he's had his injuries, but Zouma to me just looks like he has an awkward style when he runs.

What a player though, been one of our most consistent performers this season.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

S-H wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:32 pm I'm not denying he's had his injuries, but Zouma to me just looks like he has an awkward style when he runs.

Looks like Quasimodo was his running coach at school!
Hermit_Road
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Hermit_Road »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:34 pm Looks like Quasimodo was his running coach at school!
He (too often), looks like he couldn't have a dump without limping to the hand-wash basins. It happens every game!
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

S-H wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:32 pm I'm not denying he's had his injuries, but Zouma to me just looks like he has an awkward style when he runs.

It also can't be ignored that he is a massive human being. Yes there are plenty of other 6ft3in centre backs in the league but he's not built to move gracefully like Aguerd.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

zouma has been our best defender these past few seasons. we do need to get another CB in to cover the 3 of them as they wont last the season. if we could get a decent one in we could play 2 and rest 2 ideally.