Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Samba »

S-H wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:08 pm Hung like a sparrow apparently.
Just as well, he'd have somebody's eye out..
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:07 pm It's not much different to a trip to Lidl on a 'special' day. You go for some bread and milk, come back with a mig welder and full scuba outfit.
would have been useful some time ago, back when oil industry needed deepsea welders. :newthumb:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

S-H wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:08 pm Hung like a sparrow apparently.
Normal size for us, small for an 8 foot giant!
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

Harlow Hammer wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:01 pm Cyber Monday and Black Friday
Just came back from a week in Poland. The place was lovely, as were the people. However, this advert plays in EVERY single ad break during EVERY SINGLE football game. And I hate it. It has also been stuck in my head now for at least 8 days. ARGH.

Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 286 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

Phone contract renewal time. Going to have to go through the whole performance of being told that they have a super special offer for loyal customers like me, which is worse than the offers available to new customers - then threatening to leave, then having the same conversation with the 'cancellations' office, then eventually signing up to an okay deal and spending the rest of the day feeling like they've fleeced me.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

You don’t have to play that game. Does your current phone still do everything you need it to, if yes and you don’t feel the need to be seen with the latest model, just go sim only and save a bunch of spondooliks.
Dieter Eckstein

Arnold Layne wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:46 pm You don’t have to play that game. Does your current phone still do everything you need it to, if yes and you don’t feel the need to be seen with the latest model, just go sim only and save a bunch of spondooliks.
I'd just like to be seen with a phone that stays connected to the charging cable and a set of headphones, to be honest!
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Arnold Layne wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:46 pm You don’t have to play that game. Does your current phone still do everything you need it to, if yes and you don’t feel the need to be seen with the latest model, just go sim only and save a bunch of spondooliks.
I did this a couple of years ago.

Bought my phone from Apple and then told Vodafone I was leaving. They came back with the offer from free calls, free texts and 2gb of data to free calls/texts and 40gb of data for an extra £3 per month. Over the course of the first few moths, they totally f**ked up my billing, so for about 18 months or so, they were charging me £3.45p a month as opposed to £15.
Greatest Hits Vol1
Has liked: 441 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Greatest Hits Vol1 »

Dieter Eckstein wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:10 pm I'd just like to be seen with a phone that stays connected to the charging cable and a set of headphones, to be honest!
Not sure what phone you have but if it’s not staying connected to you charging cable, it is likely blocked with pocket lint. I need to clean my charging port every 6 months or so.

https://www.thrillist.com/amphtml/tech/ ... rom-iphone
Jennings
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by Jennings »

Greatest Hits Vol1 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:46 pm Not sure what phone you have but if it’s not staying connected to you charging cable, it is likely blocked with pocket lint.

If Pocket Lint isn’t already the name of an emerging child band then it should be.

*great tip by the way*
Dieter Eckstein

Greatest Hits Vol1 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:46 pm Not sure what phone you have but if it’s not staying connected to you charging cable, it is likely blocked with pocket lint. I need to clean my charging port every 6 months or so.

Thank you! I'd tried that quickly with a cocktail stick and it seemed fine, but just tried again but this time with a paperclip and the port was full of the stuff. Seems to have solved it! Absolutely nothing else wrong with the phone, so very tempted to go sim only now.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Cups. More specifically the USA's obsession with measuring everything in cups. Recipes for anything ignore ounces or grams, look up how to make mortar and it'll start "Take three thousand cups of sand."

Are USAians limited to a single sized cup? Did they not pay attention in science lessons where more useful standards of measurement might have been introduced?
Greatest Hits Vol1
Has liked: 441 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Greatest Hits Vol1 »

I grew in Canada and we used cups/ml. One cup is 250 ml. I do like using weight here as it much easier to just dump stuff in a bowl while it sits on a scale but hate it when my scale is out of batteries and I need to cover to ml.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Just tried to book an appointment at Barclays to arrange a Power of Attorney for my mother's accounts - first available appointment is mid-February. Are you ****ing kidding me - nearly 3 months before I can see someone in a branch??
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Kludgehammer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:54 pm Just tried to book an appointment at Barclays to arrange a Power of Attorney for my mother's accounts - first available appointment is mid-February. Are you ****ing kidding me - nearly 3 months before I can see someone in a branch??
Ring and say you want to open an account and deposit loads of dosh, they'll find an earlier appointment for that. Then turn up and sort out the power of attorney stuff.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Cups is a great shout.

Mine is a little bit of stalk that stays with the grape when you take it from a bunch.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Car insurance going up £80 this year for no apparent reason. On the plus side my current providers renewal quote was the cheapest for the second year running so I'll be saying with them for a third year (maybe these companies have finally got the idea that giving people crazy quotes on year two is not a way to grow a business)
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^Mine went down by about the same amountImage
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Kludgehammer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:54 pm Just tried to book an appointment at Barclays to arrange a Power of Attorney for my mother's accounts - first available appointment is mid-February. Are you ****ing kidding me - nearly 3 months before I can see someone in a branch??
You can do it yourself straightaway, Kludge. Should be cheaper, as well. Did my mum's a year ago. Didn't know I wouldn't bloody need them..
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 874 likes

Post by mushy »

wolf359 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:41 pm Car insurance going up £80 this year for no apparent reason. On the plus side my current providers renewal quote was the cheapest for the second year running so I'll be saying with them for a third year (maybe these companies have finally got the idea that giving people crazy quotes on year two is not a way to grow a business)
They've changed the rules this year so that there are no more discounted rates for new policies

Meaning hopefully that you won't necessarily have the annual ball ache of surfing through countless comparison sites. Unless you want to of course because your current provider is taking the piss.