Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by York Ham(mer) »

"That was a poor decision" - Eddie Hearn on the referee disqualifying Montana Love.

Shabu
Has liked: 4186 likes
Total likes: 2047 likes

Post by Shabu »

Arturo Beterbiev is c coming to London in January to defend against Anthony Yarde.

This will be exciting while it lasts

https://www.boxingscene.com/artur-beter ... na--170577
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

I can't see past Beterbiev for this one. I've seen that it's going to be on "regular" BT Sport btw.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

This boxer has a fantastic surname

Regie Suganob

https://boxrec.com/en/box-pro/854671
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Chris Eubank Jr v Liam Smith on January 21. Might stay awake for this one.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:33 pm Chris Eubank Jr v Liam Smith on January 21. Might stay awake for this one.
Just saw that. Feels weird that there's only a year gap in their ages.

Leaning towards the bigger man but Smith a live underdog in great form
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Loads of boxing this weekend.

At the O2 Zach Parker 22-0 meets John 'the Gorilla' Ryder for the vacant WBO Super Middle title. Some good Frank Warren prospects on the undercard.

Over at Wembley there's a great fight for the British Heavyweight title between Fabio Wardley 14(13)-0, who I don't think had any amateur experience, & Nathan Gorman 19(13)-1(1), who fell short against Daniel Dubois but is a quality boxer & cousin of the Fury family. His own great uncle was Bartley Gorman who was known as the King of the Gypsy's & on whose voice Tom Hardy modelled his Bane character in the Batman film.
Dillian Whyte makes his comeback against unbeaten Yank Jermaine Franklin 25-0, on the same bill. Pat McCormack has his 3rd fight too. He's supposed to be one for the future.

In LA Regis Prograis, whose only loss was a razor thin decision to Josh Taylor, fights for the vacant title against Jose Zepeda in a great match up. Giant Uzbeki Bakhodir Jalolov goes for his 12th KO in 12 fights on the bill.

On Sunday in London Adam Azim has his 7th fight against Rylan Charlton. Azim is maybe the best British prospect at the moment.
That's part of a decent bill that'll be on Sky.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

McCormack taken the distance by an awkward, experienced, Argentinean but looked good in doing so. He'll learn a lot more from that than blowing fighters out.

Meanwhile in the other London bill Maidstones Dennis McCann went to 14(8)-0 with a stoppage of Scotlands Joe Ham.

The big fights are coming now & I'm off to work...
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2057 likes
Total likes: 687 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

McCann looked very very slick and has a big future ahead of him.

Noakes really impressed me tonight as well.

Gorman looked decent first round against Wardley. Worked off the jab well then as soon as Wardley landed clean he folded like a deck chair. Wonder if he’s not himself as I felt his team threw the towel in a bit early.

Hope Dillian Whyte can stop this American hype train now. Always enjoy watching Dil fight and he’s a proper character.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2381 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Franklin looks very small but can seriously box. Brilliant lead left.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Whyte being completely outboxed by a bloke half his size. Haye has it level after seven the plum.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Whyte will probably get the decision here but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Franklins performance, courage, immense skill and a chin. Shame he’s not bigger.
Takeiteasy

Post by Takeiteasy »

Whyte looked fatter than usual and really didn’t look himself. Franklin did himself proud there and boxed well. Whyte didn’t deserve that decision. Draw at best.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Takeiteasy wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:12 pm
Gorman looked decent first round against Wardley. Worked off the jab well then as soon as Wardley landed clean he folded like a deck chair. Wonder if he’s not himself as I felt his team threw the towel in a bit early.
It was thrown in early wasn't it. Wouldn't surprise me if they come out with some story tomorrow about an injury or something. Gorman can box but he doesn't have a top pro boxers mentality.

On the other hand, Wardley has a proper warriors mentality. When he got hurt early on he came back firing, and landing decent shots. Not the first time he's done that either. Bloke seems a natural talent. No amateur career.

He's in a no mans land in Britain now. He's currently a level above all the UK fighters coming up beneath him & a level (or several) below the established names like Fury, Joshua, Whyte, Joyce, Chisora & Dubois. I'm not saying he couldn't beat them, just that those fights won't be made now.

A fight against German Turk, Ali Eren Demirezen, who recently beat Adam Kownacki, would be an excellent test.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:47 pm Whyte being completely outboxed by a bloke half his size. Haye has it level after seven the plum.
Half his size :lol:

Franklin a good boxer. I was impressed. Fight could have gone either way although I felt Whyte edged it. Whyte well past his best & a 2nd (or 3rd if you include their amateur career) bout with AJ is about as interesting as Fury v Chisora next week. UK Promoters taking the p!ss these days, more than ever before.
Takeiteasy

Post by Takeiteasy »

Shabu - I wonder if Gorman was concussed? Perhaps he was knocked out in sparring in the build up to the fight? Because as soon as Wardley landed anything he looked wobbled. I didn’t hear what the commentary was saying as I had the other card on at the same time and was listening to that :D
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Another KO win for Adam Azim.

He's not going to be able to load up low that against better opposition. As talented as he is I fear an upset loss before he fights for a world title.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Wadley, along with Joyce, are top blokes as well as top fighters

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Appreciate this is old news, but seen this clip yesterday..

I'm still not sure I can see the punch..

:D

York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Gorman is done now, isn’t he? What is there left for him, fighting the likes of Dave Allen and Danny Williams?