The Strikes Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EastHam56
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Re: The Strikes Thread

Post by EastHam56 »

Put any balance over the 30k into your pension to avoid paying tax . That was back in 2013 anyway
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 886 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

EastHam56 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:41 pm Put any balance over the 30k into your pension to avoid paying tax . That was back in 2013 anyway
MB will probably know this, but my understanding from the part of Financial Services I am in is this:

First £30k is effectively tax free (income tax).
Anything over that is taxed as income.

However, when you invest in your pension, the firm does an HMRC reclaim (we only work for one firm that does pensions, Virgin Money), which is a monthly submitted reclaim.

Then the amount im there is effectively the same as if it was tax free to begin with, then when you crystalise your pension you are taxed according to your circumstances at that time.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:09 pm

Does anybody really NEED their mail to arrive through the letterbox every single day?
If it was truly declining why is the CEO giving business away to Evri?
Why is he employing new staff, on lesser terms and pay, to replace staff he claims need to be made redundant.

As for daily deliveries. I accept club's may switch but I wouldn't expect to get my away tickets on time if deliveries were reduced. There's often late despatches by the home club and West Ham as a result. Often short turnarounds too.

The union want to help grow the business and take on new work on deliveries. Can't do that if you tear the company apart and cut down access to every household every day.
Another set up Whistle tried and failed because they simply didn't have the pipeline like RM do.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I’m still waiting on my Neco Williams “I weren’t having none of that” t-shirt which I’ve paid for extra by recorded delivery. Next couple of days maybe.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1949 likes
Total likes: 600 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:02 pm

He gets it.
It's not just the Royal Mail either, is it?

The Governments of the passed 40 years have undervalued everything that have been privatised.I wonder why?The corrupt b*stards!

The reason why this country is in such a mess is down to this.The only people that have benefited are the people that already had wealth and have plenty more now.Guess what,they want more?Like Gambling or being an Alcoholic,it's an illness.They need more and they don't care how they get it.
daytimedave
Has liked: 270 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by daytimedave »

see BT seem to have pleased their staff with another £1500 pay rise for those earning under £50k.
would this type of pay increase please the railway workers ,nurses , royal mail staff etc .?
it must boil down to money at the end of the day .
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 940 likes
Total likes: 483 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

daytimedave wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:55 am see BT seem to have pleased their staff with another £1500 pay rise for those earning under £50k.
would this type of pay increase please the railway workers ,nurses , royal mail staff etc .?
i think in most instances it is deeper than that, things like expected number of weekends/evenings you're required to work, pensions, etc.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by Prob »

daytimedave wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:55 am see BT seem to have pleased their staff with another £1500 pay rise for those earning under £50k.
For nursing, the strike isn't just about pay. Pay is a big cause of some of the problems. Having a real term pay cut of over 20% over the past 12 years hasn't helped.

It is about the safe staffing levels on wards. Its the record number of staff leaving the work force and not being replaced. Its a care system that a government is cutting funding and adding so many strings to any other funding that it can't deliver care in a way that it is needed.

Now ambulance staff are striking
Doctors are likely to go out in January.
Other healthcare professionals are voting to strike

It seems with all these strikes people are just fed up with the common cause. A Tory government that refuses to do anything that benefits the working person, and the same Tory government that is breaking the whole care system.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

If true, this is very funny. Or they're lying and causing further stress for the people employing scabs...which is also very funny. A win win!

Cornelius Beal

Post by Cornelius Beal »

From what I have seen on their unions message boards the majority are not happy with the deal, so may be rejected.
As for Royal Mail I would suggest it's more about lowering terms and conditions , affecting the service, redundancies that are more crucial than the percentage pay rise.
Last edited by Cornelius Beal on Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

This is desperate stuff from Zahawi - reviving the old “enemy within” trope by saying strikers are playing into Putin’s hands.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ays-zahawi

They’ve got to have an enemy. Nurses will do.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:20 am This is desperate stuff from Zahawi - reviving the old “enemy within” trope by saying strikers are playing into Putin’s hands.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ays-zahawi

They’ve got to have an enemy. Nurses will do.
Who needs an enemy at the door when we have already got the Trojan within.
Cornelius Beal

Post by Cornelius Beal »

The Tories are planning to rush through more anti- strike legislation. Said to be along the lines of keeping some services running, as with the new rules on keeping 20% of rail services kept in operation.
With the public generally still backing the strikes is it another 'get tough' own goal by the government?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4383 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Cornelius Beal wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:27 pm The Tories are planning to rush through more anti- strike legislation. Said to be along the lines of keeping some services running, as with the new rules on keeping 20% of rail services kept in operation.
With the public generally still backing the strikes is it another 'get tough' own goal by the government?
From two days ago;

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... ing-2022s-
Cornelius Beal

Post by Cornelius Beal »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:41 pm From two days ago;

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... ing-2022s-
Yes, still more positive towards union action.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63853669.amp

Soon as England kick off ...so it slides through
Cornelius Beal

Post by Cornelius Beal »

Support for strike action shot up after this;

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... -latest-vn
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Staff at Shelter have also gone on strike today.

And I’m glad the RMT rejected that offer, everyone is focusing on the 8% which is irrelevant anyway if people are having to take a pay cut to then lose their jobs in 2024 but driver only operated trains are dangerous for a host of reasons.
delbert
Has liked: 719 likes
Total likes: 699 likes

Post by delbert »

On the news they're banging on about the government bringing in the Army. I'm not sure how big the government think the Army is, they seem to have forgotten that it's currently small enough to fit inside Wembley Stadium and is already rather busy. Aside from those sitting in Eastern Europe blowing raspberries at Putin and his Orcs, we have shitloads back in the UK training large swathes of the Ukrainian Army.
Where things could get interesting is if/when the ambulance staff and nurses go on strike, a large part of the Army's medical staff are reservists who already work for the NHS in a civilian capacity, be a bit awkward to mobilise them to help break their own strike. :chin:
Then we have the morale boosting situation where any spare troops that get called in to cover people striking over Christmas for big pay rises only got a paltry 3.75% themselves, at least Thatcher had the common decency to give them a decent pay rise before using them..........