Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by OFT »

Difficult to say anything that hasn't already been said but, Declan leaving was always the way this was going. I don't believe even if we were in the Champions League(Ugh) positions, or indeed actually in the competition, it would make much difference. As it is,(IMO) it's a fairly comfy 'excuse' to chuck about. The fact that he's talking about this on the current stage is, at best, more than a little disappointing, at worst, 'a come and get me advert'. A simple "I'm here to talk England and The World Cup' would have sufficed.
Equally I think the club have tried to give the impression that they've done 'all they can' to keep him, club captaincy, record signings, etc.etc, whist knowing they can't keep him, whether they want to or not.
I wish the lad every success while he plays for West Ham but when he does leave he will, I'm afraid, be just another player who plays for another club and will be of little interest to me
:crest:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Oldun wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:23 pm You did read that I wrote last season for Noble ?
Massive point of order, rice was playing captain. Not club captain

Noble was club captain, and rice should never have been given the arm band as club captain

Playing captain fine.

Ogbonna should be club captain, well respected , and will most likely be here longer

Rice was massive mistake as club captain, I have said this a few times

For one it's so short term
Two he isn't strong enough to lead off the pitch yet, he needs to focus on his game

Three he (mid season) has been spending too much time building brand rice (league of their own) instead of focusing on his club form (when we are out of form)

It's a classic . We want him to stay what do we do? Give him the armband

It doesn't work and hinders us massively
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Would we get a better price if we sell him now? If so, maybe we should do that. Give Downes and Paqueta an opportunity to form a partnership.

It looks like West Ham is about to go through a complete rebuild. The money spent last summer is making this prospect look very dim. It's going to be an interesting next year.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:52 pm Massive point of order, rice was playing captain. Not club captain

Noble was club captain, and rice should never have been given the arm band as club captain

Playing captain fine.

How long have had a club and a playing captain then?
As far as I remember it was only last season to respect Noble and the armband was passed to Noble every time he came on the pitch .
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Just seen Rice's interview, it's not news but shouldn't really been coming out with it as sounded like a come and get me.

Such an affable lad but for me always says too much in a relaxed manner. Needs to calm it down a bit.

I expect most don't like to hear the usual robotic boring **** you would get from Gerrard and Shearer for example, but for me that's the way it should be and what media training is for.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Oldun wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:06 pm I think he will give nothing less than 100% in every game he plays for us until the end of the season and if he picks up the Conference cup for us I am sure he will be elated,it’s just we can not offer him what he wants.
It’s a bit like if you have a kid who is very good at football but he plays for a average team and he has a chance to play for a better team in a better league what do you do?
As for where he will go to from us I would not be surprised if he didn’t favour Man U,I remember him talking after the game there last season and him saying how he loves playing at Old Trafford.
There you go. It's begun. Scott Parker part 2
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Him being captain was the right call.

Not just cos he'd been doing it as vice to Nobes, not only cos he's our best player, but he's also got the right personality, loves the club, cares about the youth players, is a good speaker, likeable and popular.

Then add in that we wanted him to stay, wanted to prove we cared about his development. I also think his ability and reputation help us, so him being captain is going to help us sign players. Scamacca and Paqueta know who Declan Rice is and are eager to play with him, him being captain would definitely appeal.

Other choices were also poor. Cresswell? I like him, but some were calling for him never to play for the club again cos of his red cards. He is also clearly close to being replaced. Zouma? Kicks f****** cats, genuine law breaker. Dawson wanted out, Coufal is on the brink, it was not going to be Fornals, Bowen, Benny, Lanzini, whilst Ogbonna is also clearly on borrowed time.

Leaves Soucek and Fab.

He's not perfect, but neither was Nobes, neither was Nolan.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

floydie_hammer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:20 pm I'm not digging you out and I don't have an agenda. But when there's other people posting stuff like Dec is a prick etc it can get hard to tell who means what.

No offense meant and whatever Dec does I don't want to fall out with fair minded people over it :shake:
Yeh I think that’s silly, he’s not a prick he’s a great kid and a wonderful footballer, this is going to be a sensitive transition wherever he goes, we’ve seen the varying degrees of welcomes you get when you return and I’d genuinely like to think Dec will handle it well and get a warm reception for doing so when he returns. Perhaps just don’t be talking about CL footie too much for now, and don’t be kissing the badge that never goes well :D

No none taken mate I thought you were nitpicking, I couldn’t agree more :shake:
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Oldun wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:23 pm You did read that I wrote last season for Noble ?
Yeh, it was daft
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Also worth noting that the criticism today has clearly got to him.

He's all over social media liking supportive posts, he messaged someone I know to question a tweet about him. It's not ideal, but he's a young, genuine and humble lad, I would rather he was emotional and cared than robotic.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Oldun wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:00 pm How long have had a club and a playing captain then?
As far as I remember it was only last season to respect Noble and the armband was passed to Noble every time he came on the pitch .
Daily and di canio

It's not the first time at all.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

not like's downed tools and sat on the halfway sulking or pulled a sickie every time we go north in mid week is it ?

or been pictured in another club's strip..

or given anything less than 100% every time out, even if it falls short of his lofty heights and looks like he isn't...
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Not really too fussed what he said. He's first choice defensive midfielder for England and is anyone really surprised he thinks he should be playing Champions League?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I've seen this before with some of the great players we've let go (too many to list but I'm sure you know who I mean). A few things fans should remember about not just West Ham players but footballers in general.

1. They don't have a fan's mentality
2. They are on a limited timespan in terms of career
3. They are in the main, wanting to improve their game and be challenged and playing with top quality players will improve their game, no question.
4. They want to play on big stages with big clubs
5. They want wages that reflect their talent

We as fans (and believe me, it's painful) also need to realise that we just cannot compete with the bigger clubs when it comes to wages and success. If they want their man, they'll usually sign them from us and we'll end up with a pot of cash that'll the owners will dip into and a percentage will be given to sign players who aren't up to the standard that we have just let go. They cycle repeats.

Dec is the type of player you can build a club around, very versatile and skilful and I do wonder if our season had more of a successful start, maybe his mindset would be different but we didn't and at times it was shocking. If Dec has his heart set on leaving then the best we can do is get as much cash for him as possible and hope that the two-bob showers of **** that run this club will dip into their pockets and sign some quality. I won't hold my breath.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

In any interview I’ve seen with Declan he’s never come across as anything other than a very level headed young man with ambitions to get to the top of his game. He never comes across as arrogant or disrespectful and he has given 100% at all times even when, on occasion, others around him were not.
It is a sad reality that his ambitions have outgrown us but we know where this is going. Knowing this, he still commits everything on the pitch and remains thoroughly professional and still looks like someone who loves the club.
He may well end up at another club where eventually he loves that club and the fans but we were the first, and no one forgets their first love.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:35 pm Daily and di canio

It's not the first time at all.
I can honestly say I don’t remember that but that would be over 20 years ago and I honestly can’t think of another time it happened.
I do remember who our captains were but not club captain against on the field captain.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

McKnightmare wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:55 pm That lack of investment in January and the subsequent defeat to Frankfurt will likely be viewed as a bit of a sliding doors moment for our club methinks…
We didn't lose to Frankfurt due to lack of investment. We lost to Frankfurt because we played very poorl and suffered from individual errors
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:02 pm We lost to Frankfurt because we played very poorl and suffered from individual errors
Not because Frankfurt were the best team in the competition? :chin:
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:12 pm Not because Frankfurt were the best team in the competition? :chin:
We’ll never know, I think we’re exhausted by the time we played Frankfurt, a performance on a par with the Sevilla & Lyon wins may well have seen a different result, I really don’t think Frankfurt were better than Sevilla.
The Terminator
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by The Terminator »

Is this even news? FWIW I reckon he already has a verbal agreement with the club to leave in the summer regardless of where we finished this season.

Shame but inevitable for a long time now.