Cost of living crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Re: Cost of living crisis

Post by Hammer1966 »

Increase in job shy, feckless, pyjama wearing parents

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... dApp_Other
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

The cost of living is fast going to become the cost of staying alive.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Hammer1966 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:39 am Increase in job shy, feckless, pyjama wearing parents

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... dApp_Other
I see at least one dressing gown / pair of pyjamas on my walk to work daily.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Saw petrol below £1.50 today at the Green Man roundabout; US inflation in decline so the £ is up to near $1.25, with the likelihood that US interest rates are not going as high as was being signalled two/three months ago.

Looks like we are at or really near peak inflation.

Guessing that inflation will be unchanged tomorrow, interest rates up 0.25-0.5% on Thursday and then some respite.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Yesterday Bubbles you were posting articles from Politico about the deindustrialisation of Germany, due to inflation.

Today, you are saying we've peaked.

Earlier i saw a young lady who was head of some banks global strategy ( honestly we are a **** hair away from someone titled Intergalactic king of everything)'saying the USA faces a deep recession in Q4 next year.

China? Who knows?

Personally i think we face much higher gas prices next winter, and i dont see significant growth in our economy until 2025 at the earliest.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:54 pm Yesterday Bubbles you were posting articles from Politico about the deindustrialisation of Germany, due to inflation.
That was weeks ago, and it's the cost of energy specifically that is doing for them.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:39 pm Saw petrol below £1.50 today at the Green Man roundabout
141.9 in the grim North (Hindley Green, on the edge of Wigan to be exact) yesterday. Be in the 130s next week.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:28 pm That was weeks ago, and it's the cost of energy specifically that is doing for them.
The article had long words, took me a while to read it. :smiler:
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Isn't a big part of the cost of living crisis a function of the decisions taken during covid & then over Ukraine?

Paying 80% of everyone's wages to keep people safe from covid has a cost. When the pandemic was big and scary, people were saying "something must be done! We should pay whatever we need to go get ventilators/PPE and splurge on unlimited furlough payments & business funding. We can worry about the cost later!" Well, we spent and spent and spent and "later", is now.

The same with Ukraine. We could have carried on importing Russian oil and gas and saved ourselves a fortune by doing a deal with Vlad the Invader. We didn't (rightly so IMO) because it was the principled thing to do but those principles cost money. Money we now have to find. People cannot have it both ways surely?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Den, people have always wanted it both ways.

A Western European social model, funded by an American tax style tax base.

The two are incompatible.

The public lies to itself. It always has.

Someone on average earnings, in todays money, will pay something like £250k income tax and NI if they work for 40 years.
They then get a refund of £ 150k in the form of a pension.

The maths dont add up. They never have.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

wolf359 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:38 pm 141.9 in the grim North (Hindley Green, on the edge of Wigan to be exact) yesterday. Be in the 130s next week.
That's a thing of beauty. Near me has just dropped to 149.9.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

We spent more on heating and powering our home yesterday than our mortgage repayment for the day.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Immensely fortunate, here. Still have (just about) a small public swimming pool, and a decent library, so...

7AM, To the pool, swift(ish) walk in shallow end ( hip therapy) then long hot shower [ £20 per month by DD.]

9. 30 AM To the Library, 3hrs comfy chair, nice and warm read books/paper/free internet/etc. [all free]

Strongly suspect both facilities will soon fall foul of spending cuts, but in the meantime they make winter bearable.
djclipz
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

Talking of petrol, I've just spotted 139.9, as of yesterday, about 5 miles away at a Jet garage on the petrol prices app. A couple of supermarkets in the 140s, probably because of it and then everything else looks to be coming in at 150+. I'm over in Oxfordshire.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Staying up town last night, we went to a local Chinese restaurant for some food. It was a proper authentic place, very extensive menu with traditional dishes and not the sort of westernised food you get at a lot of Chinese restaurants.

Anyway, they didn't have their heating on. The restaurant was cold as f***. The waiter/owner was serving us wearing a jacket and scarf.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:41 am We spent more on heating and powering our home yesterday than our mortgage repayment for the day.
God knows how much it's cost us in heating so far this week. Typical that the coldest December week in years hits as energy bills go through the roof. Minus 7 in the car this morning.

Luckily next week is meant to be milder.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

sendô wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:43 am Staying up town last night, we went to a local Chinese restaurant for some food. It was a proper authentic place, very extensive menu with traditional dishes and not the sort of westernised food you get at a lot of Chinese restaurants.

Anyway, they didn't have their heating on. The restaurant was cold as ****. The waiter/owner was serving us wearing a jacket and scarf.
The authentic Chinese experience. Did you get run over by a tank on the way out?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

From 1st of January through until March, most bus operators (all the main ones are part of it) will be part of a government scheme whereby nobody will pay more than £2 for a single journey.

Hopefully it will increase ridership, and hopefully, we'll retain the ridership once the scheme ends.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

-DL- wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:42 am From 1st of January through until March, most bus operators (all the main ones are part of it) will be part of a government scheme whereby nobody will pay more than £2 for a single journey.

Hopefully it will increase ridership, and hopefully, we'll retain the ridership once the scheme ends.
is that going to be nation wide? bloody good idea if it is. :newthumb:

edit: bet the tight wads in my neck of the woods don't sign up to it. :swear:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:49 am is that going to be nation wide? bloody good idea if it is. :newthumb:

edit: bet the tight wads in my neck of the woods don't sign up to it. :swear:
Yes, nationwide. Arriva, Stagecoach, First Group, Go-Ahead Group, National Express (buses only), and all major municipal operators (as well as many of the smaller ones) have signed up to it.

It's worth their while to, as they're being given government subsidies to do so.

Check your local companies social media platforms.