Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Re: Running

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Shabu wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:12 am I know your maximum is 220 minus your age which makes 166 for me so I had visions of my heart just exploding as I jogged :lol:
I admit I did used to worry that my heart would explode - especially when it was pushing 170 on the hills. I'm still here though :fxd:
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:52 pm My heart rate tends to be over 160 for at least half of every run I do.
Are you using an Apple Watch? I ask because I thought I had this problem but the reality was that my Apple Watch gets a bit, well, **** when running outside. No idea why, but I couldn't understand how I was running 20km at 90% HR and not dying. Turns out the HRM on the Apple Watch was massively inaccurate (by about 40bpm). It is however fine when I do my yoga practise or go for a walk.

I have heard that other watches have this problem too and it's something to do with the wrist of the user. I didn't dig further, so could be b*llocks!

My stress test is simply am I breathing comfortably and do I feel good. Still use the watch to measure distance and knocked out a nice 12k this morning in the cold. Tights on soon I think, getting a bit nippy.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Total agree with PF on the apple watch HR being inaccurate. I recently bought a heart rate monitor chest strap and found my HR to be about 10-15bpm lower (10%ish) than the watch was measuring and definitely more in line with how I was feeling on the run.
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2013 likes

Post by Shabu »

I have a Garmin Instinct, which I love, but sometimes at the gym I've been on an elliptical machine and checked my heart beat and it's a lot higher than what my watch says.

I'll have to look into this...
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

PF. wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:48 pm Are you using an Apple Watch? I ask because I thought I had this problem but the reality was that my Apple Watch gets a bit, well, **** when running outside. No idea why, but I couldn't understand how I was running 20km at 90% HR and not dying. Turns out the HRM on the Apple Watch was massively inaccurate (by about 40bpm). It is however fine when I do my yoga practise or go for a walk.

I have heard that other watches have this problem too and it's something to do with the wrist of the user. I didn't dig further, so could be b*llocks!

My stress test is simply am I breathing comfortably and do I feel good. Still use the watch to measure distance and knocked out a nice 12k this morning in the cold. Tights on soon I think, getting a bit nippy.
I have a Garmin Instinct too... that's interesting though. I was thinking of picking up one of the proper chest strap monitors for cheap from Ebay. I'm guessing that would give me a far more accurate reading.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

PF. wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:48 pm My stress test is simply am I breathing comfortably and do I feel good. Still use the watch to measure distance and knocked out a nice 12k this morning in the cold. Tights on soon I think, getting a bit nippy.
That's normally how I do it too... I had a real problem on yesterdays run though. Couldn't catch my breath at all and had to keep stopping. Not sure if it's the cold air, or maybe I have some kind of virus. Wouldn't be the first time... I struggled with a long run earlier this year only to find out afterwards that I had COVID!
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

My knees & ankles seem to be over their issues now & the back pain is manageable so hope to do a few fun runs this year.

Signed up for a 5k on Feb 18th, one week after I get back from a Mexican holiday and plan on doing a 10k on March 18th up in Pasadena.

Then, if injury free, hope to do my first half marathon in six years around late May or June.
Dayinthelife
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Dayinthelife »

Some advice and words of encouragement needed here.....

I am relatively new to running, stated in July...... managed to get myself up to 8 to 12 km runs on a weekly basis in November, but fell off during December with the holidays. I have also decided that supporting West Ham wasn't enough torture, so I signed up for a half marathon in May in Toronto. I try my best to run at least twice a week (between 12 hour shifts and 4 daughters, time can be a struggle).

So my questions are simple.....

1) Is the half marathon too much?

2) How many kms should I be running a week to train?

3) Does running ever feel easy?

4) This is where I need the words of encouragement...
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Dayinthelife wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:57 am Some advice and words of encouragement needed here.....

I am relatively new to running, stated in July...... managed to get myself up to 8 to 12 km runs on a weekly basis in November, but fell off during December with the holidays. I have also decided that supporting West Ham wasn't enough torture, so I signed up for a half marathon in May in Toronto. I try my best to run at least twice a week (between 12 hour shifts and 4 daughters, time can be a struggle).

So my questions are simple.....

1) Is the half marathon too much?

2) How many kms should I be running a week to train?

3) Does running ever feel easy?

4) This is where I need the words of encouragement...
Mate, if you can do 12km you can do a half marathon. Just don't worry about your speed or time. Get into that zone where you just keep trotting along.

If you have a time goal in mind there are plenty of free online half training guides for you but I'd say just enjoy it.

Google "half marathon training plan" and LOADS will pop up.

One thing that will be of massive benefit is uphill running. If there's no hills get to a gym and jog on the treadmill uphill for a mile the increase that. If you can do five hilly miles then a half will be easy. Even a 20 or 30 minute 4 mph walk at max uphill on a treadmill will be a great benefit.

As for does running feel easy, think of it as a break from your busy life. Try reading this book.

Running with the Mind of Meditation: Lessons for Training Body and Mind
Book by Sakyong Mipham
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Squeezed a 8.3k in yesterday as my last run of the year. Might very well go and do a gentle 5k today to break in 2023.

I’ve eaten and drank so much ***** over the last 10-14 days I’m looking forward to getting back to normality and hopefully shifting the extra few pounds I’ve no doubt put on.

Oh, and for anybody that cares - 130 runs last year with over 850km run. Let’s see what I can do this year.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

F*CK me, I'm unfit. In fact, I feel close to the state I reached in my late 20s that caused me to start training in the first place. Weighed 13st 8lb this morning. Just did an 18 mile bike ride that would, at my best, take less than an hour, in 1h 21m. At least I've got a baseline to work from, but that is absolutely rotten.

I've seriously turned into a miserable recluse this autumn/winter, and owe it to my family to rectify things. Hopefully by the end of March I'll be 13st or lower, and back to some semblance of fitness.
badabing
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by badabing »

I read about the fella who has run a marathon every day for a year for charity.
Firstly, what a great effort.
Secondly, how has he found time to do that, and is that even healthy?
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

badabing wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:35 pm I read about the fella who has run a marathon every day for a year for charity.
Years ago I read about these Japanese monks that have to run about 19 miles a day for 100 days as part of their meditation but some take it to extremes and run further for longer.

https://marathonhandbook.com/the-marathon-monks/
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

badabing wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:35 pm I read about the fella who has run a marathon every day for a year for charity.

Doing one marathon puts a hell of a strain on the body nevermind that many.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Got my 1st run of the year done today.

Not far, just 3km, but I'm a bit hungover and it was terrible conditions (for here). Very windy and a bit hilly running trails by the ocean.
Dayinthelife
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Dayinthelife »

Thnx for the encouragement Shabu, I will check that book out as well.

Went for a 3.5 km run today, much slower then the pace I was putting up in November. Amazing what a month and a half of inaction(and a week in Cuba drinking too much) does to fitness. Hopefully it comes back as quicker than it goes.

Another question for the experienced runnners. Are you strict with your pacing on long runs(constantly checking your watch or phone to make sure you aren't going too hard)? Or do you just go by instinct?
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Dayinthelife wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:10 am Thnx for the encouragement Shabu, I will check that book out as well.

Went for a 3.5 km run today, much slower then the pace I was putting up in November. Amazing what a month and a half of inaction(and a week in Cuba drinking too much) does to fitness. Hopefully it comes back as quicker than it goes.

Another question for the experienced runnners. Are you strict with your pacing on long runs(constantly checking your watch or phone to make sure you aren't going too hard)? Or do you just go by instinct?
I'm not a great runner but I would say just run without looking at your watch. Just pick the route & analyse it later. Be natural.
PF.

Post by PF. »

Ran over 100k in December, which was my first month of doing so (having done 95 and 96 the previous two months). I set myself the goal and was worried that I wouldn't achieve it after being snowed in for that week. Smashed out a couple when away for Christmas and did my last 10k on new years eve.

I've set myself a goal to run 1,000 km this calendar year. Obviously achievable and will ensure that I do not slack off for more than a couple of weeks over the summer months.

Happy running chaps!
PF.

Post by PF. »

Dayinthelife wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:10 am Another question for the experienced runnners. Are you strict with your pacing on long runs(constantly checking your watch or phone to make sure you aren't going too hard)? Or do you just go by instinct?
I have my stride length and once I’m in a rhythm can just plod along at a steady pace. I used to beat myself over the stats but I’m not racing against anyone or an average to beat of “runners in my age range”.

Did however notice my last few runs have had a higher vertical oscillation (around 10) so I’ll just keep a check on that tomorrow (lean slightly forward, less bounce). Not for time gains, more to reduce injury risk.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1509 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

I'm going to run to the gym tomorrow, first time after months, I'm bit excited! :starst: Happy NY dear KUMB runners, have fun from making kilometres with zero injuries!