World Cup 2026

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Re: World Cup 2026

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

The impact on South America is interesting. With that many places there's a real lack of jeopardy in the current format where it's all one league.

Wonder if Brazil/Argentina would back splitting it into two groups of 5? Get one of them in each and then they can justify playing a friendly in Europe, the US or Asia for massive $$$ as they're not meeting in qualifying as regularly.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Whether there has been a levelling out, or levelling up in
International football over the past 4 years, there have been a few surprises to have made it through to Round of 16. A few of the usual suspects fell by the wayside, Belgium, Germany and Uruguay, but I can't say I am totally surprised. Belgium have been on the wain ever since thd last tournament with many of their players aging with no not enough younger talent. Germany have been bang average and do not appear to have made progress since 2018, but I think Uruguay can count themselves slightly unlucky to have been eliminated.That said, it makes for an interesting draw with some intriguing looking ties :

Netherlands v USA
England v Senegal
Argentina v Australia
Poland v France
Japan v Croatia
Morocco v Spain
Brazil v South Korea
Portugal v Switzerland or Serbia
Shabu
Has liked: 4186 likes
Total likes: 2047 likes

Post by Shabu »

The 2046 World Cup will have 200 countries competing all at once

Scotland will still miss out though :lol:
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3150 likes

Post by WCpete »

Shabu wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:51 am Bloke at work told me there're having 16 groups of 3 with the winner of each group going through
Group P. Ridiculous. :angryred: